Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Let's Talk About Something Good - Friends?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So ... do you?
  Yes
  No, not really, all my friends live close by
View Results

mee_shee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:47 am
Friends are a very important thing in my life. They talk me through things, keep me being strong, and teach me how to be a better person.

They are their when I need them, and understand when I need to be on my own.

And even though some of them live about a hundred miles away - they still find a way to keep in touch with me. Whether it's by always calling, or coming to see me, or having me come to see them.

For instance, my bestest friend Tasha lives on waterloo rd. and even though that's right up my street, we don't see eachother much. In fact we hadn't seen one another in a YEAR (i counted), and when we finally got to see eachtother on our birthday (her's is june19, mines june20), we picked up right back where we left off. I miss the girl so much but I'm glad that it was never, and still isn't awkward between us.

Do you have any friends that live far away, but it's like this when you see them?

Discuss:

Importances of friendship.
Long Distance Friendships  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:31 am
I believe that as long as you have one, true friend, then you are set for life. By saying a true friend, I mean someone who will appreciate you for being you and not want to change you. Also, they can be there for you when you need them and understand stages you go through. I also like to think that I can trust them with any secret and can rely on them for advice.

As they taught the "Triangle of Wellness" in health class, you also need some social activity to balance out your life. Now, this is only my opinion, but a lot of people find more comfort in being alone, which is understandable. Sometimes there isn't anyone you can relate to, or someone who understands you. To this I merely offer this one piece of advice: Talk to everyone as you may find an awesome friend in the most unexpected person. Just give them a chance.

Some people feel that in order to be accepted among society, they must have many "friends." However, in this instance, I often find that the popular crowd would betray one another without a second thought, or just pretend to raise their social status. Many people will change who they are in order to fit in, and often say and do things other people would want them to do (aka pressure) in order to be their friend. Please note that I use the term friend quite loosely.

The good thing about being gothic is that people are not afraid to be an individual and this allows them not to feel pressured to fit in with everyone else. Usually they can easily see who can be a good potential friend and during that time, they get to dismiss often ridiculous stereotypes. This is only true for some, but seeing that many of the individuals here feel the same way, I felt it may be appropriate to post it.

Now, onto the topic of long distance friendships. It seems every grade I would make a "best friend" but every one so far has either moved away, grown apart, or transferred to another school. I still try to stay in contact with my friend from 2nd grade, but I do believe that we have grown apart. On the rare occassion that we do see each other, it is often awkward, as our tastes vary intensely.

Acerbus nox noctis

[-Alluring Enchantress-]

3,900 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:43 am
I don't have many friends aside from the internet. I have maybe two i only talk to the one over the phone and the other is acually my boyfriend. I have never had many friends, and i've learned to live with it. As long as i have one or two true friends i am good. Who can keep up with having 30-40 friends anyways? I sure couldnt.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:58 am
friends arent that important to me but if you want me too friends are ookk  

Boricuan

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:27 am
if it wasnt for my friends, i would have booked out of this lifetime along time ago

not one of my friends are goth/punk or unusal in anyway other then thair minds.
they dont judge me, they dont bother cheering me up when im down, they dont knock the bottle of beer out of my hand when im drunk, and they will kick the s**t out of anybody who does.
I can point at them and say, f**, dyke, ******, whomp and w*****k and they will smile and insult me right back.

Friends dont give you bull, friends wont let you take bull.

heart  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:46 am
My best friend is actually a fashion doll,but strangely enough,I don't care about that.Of course,the fact that she is 25 does add a lot to our friendship.My other "friends" from gradeschool and high school sort of decided to lose touch with me.I actually made at least some effort to keep my friends close to me, but many of them decided to just sign me off.Come to think of it,I think I'm better off without friends like that...  

LillieRose

mee_shee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:28 pm
Acerbus nox noctis
I believe that as long as you have one, true friend, then you are set for life. By saying a true friend, I mean someone who will appreciate you for being you and not want to change you. Also, they can be there for you when you need them and understand stages you go through. I also like to think that I can trust them with any secret and can rely on them for advice.

As they taught the "Triangle of Wellness" in health class, you also need some social activity to balance out your life. Now, this is only my opinion, but a lot of people find more comfort in being alone, which is understandable. Sometimes there isn't anyone you can relate to, or someone who understands you. To this I merely offer this one piece of advice: Talk to everyone as you may find an awesome friend in the most unexpected person. Just give them a chance.

Some people feel that in order to be accepted among society, they must have many "friends." However, in this instance, I often find that the popular crowd would betray one another without a second thought, or just pretend to raise their social status. Many people will change who they are in order to fit in, and often say and do things other people would want them to do (aka pressure) in order to be their friend. Please note that I use the term friend quite loosely.

The good thing about being gothic is that people are not afraid to be an individual and this allows them not to feel pressured to fit in with everyone else. Usually they can easily see who can be a good potential friend and during that time, they get to dismiss often ridiculous stereotypes. This is only true for some, but seeing that many of the individuals here feel the same way, I felt it may be appropriate to post it.

Now, onto the topic of long distance friendships. It seems every grade I would make a "best friend" but every one so far has either moved away, grown apart, or transferred to another school. I still try to stay in contact with my friend from 2nd grade, but I do believe that we have grown apart. On the rare occassion that we do see each other, it is often awkward, as our tastes vary intensely.

I love the way that you put this!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:57 pm
Going to a college that is in a different state from the one where my high school is located in addition to living halfway across the country in the summer has created a number of long distance relationships. I am sure it will get worse when I head to Japan in the spring. Luckily I am used to it, thanks to debate camp and making good friends who live in a variety of places around the country. What helps is that I have not had a best friend in quite some time, so I don't have a strong feeling of being torn apart by where I live. The internet is great too...staying up all night chatting with people on AIM is almost as good as chatting all night in a coffee house. Sure, people change, but I have found that when I get together with old friends our relationship hasn't and things are easy-going and fun.
As far as importance of friendships...friends are the best. That's all there is to it.  

Silenus Slade

Soviet_Viking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:28 pm
As I've become far more social than I was in the past, I've made a number of friends and though not all of them are as close as I wish (I don't see them as often and therefore don't get to hang out with them as much), I hold them all dear to me and they do the same with me. But along the same lines as what Nyed said, if it weren't for my friends and the intriguing people I've met, I would either not be here or I would not have a whole hell of a lot reason to be here. Friends, to me, are the most important thing in my life and the primary reason I continue to exist.

As for long distance friendships, for me, it varies. My better friends from high school (Most of whom went to O'ahu for college) I manage to keep in touch with, while some others that have gone elsewhere or more distant to me, though I do still try to keep in touch with them whenever possible.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:21 pm
i don;t really get along with people in person all that much and i have found thta if i get friends and we hang out for a while, well then after that somehting dumb happens and everyone is immature about it and s**t so i don't really keep too many friends. i am not what you would call a people person by nature...  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

misted tears

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:50 pm
I love my friends. You're right.. I only keep a few very close (as in.. two maybe three if they're lucky), but that's about it. My best friend, however, is moving away across country in a week sad . But we've decided to keep close and call all the time and talk online and such. And I dont know what I'd do without my close friends.. they always seem to help me out of whatever mess I've gotten myself into.. (crazy little trouble maker that I am xd )  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:33 am
My family has moved a bit over the last few years. Where once I had a group of friends I started making in 4th grade, I only have 6-7 left. I don't keep in touch with anybody from the last place I lived. After I moved, ironically enough, back to my hometown, I saw some friends I hadn't seen in 10 years and we picked our relationship pretty much right where we left off. I have a few friends I've met online which live all around the country.

With that said, friendships are very important to me. I do keep a lot of friends but I do have my "inner circle" as it were, comprised of the first people I came out of the closet to, the first person I knew, and my girlfriend. These are the people I trust with my soul, the people I would go to hell for. None of them are afraid to get in my way when I'm doing something dumb or tell me what they think of me when i'm being less than tolerable, and all of them have done it many, many times before.

Most of my closest friend live nowhere near me. While i would love to see the ones i had to leave behind, it's just not in the cards for me at this time. Therefore, Long Distance Friendships are a necessary evil in order to maintain that bond. Considering a lot of them have the handwriting of a crackhead on withdrawls, I'm very thankful for yahoo, aol, and msn messengers. Without them, staying in touch would be much more difficult.  

Mountain_Drew

Blacklight Floater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:11 am
My friend Maryam moved to Palistine 4 years ago and just recently moved to safer Ireland.
And she's still awesome! She visited earlier this year. It was neat. She had purpley/pink stuff in her hair. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:02 pm
Well I used to live in NY
(I live in WI now)
and lost contact with my friends when I moved.
And I was always so sad cause I have a friend
who moved here from texas
and she's just as close as she's ever been with her friends.
So when I was finally back in touch
with my buddies from NY
I was hopping it would be like that.
But it's just... not.
emo

Its Cookie Time!

jessi exstasi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:46 pm
I tend to not have that many friends, most tend to be aquaintances.
Either way though, the friends I do have support me in just about everything I do and are always there for me. Granted I have a friend in Georgia and a friend in Ohio who can't always be there for me in person but the one in GA is one of my best friends and he's helped me through so much. Unfortunatly enough though some of my friends that tend to live closer..and by that I mean actually live in the same state, I don't really get to see that much. However, even though we don't always get to hang out we always manage to pick right back up where we left off and continue to be the best of friends.  
~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games