Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Runes, anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Amber Ocean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:05 am
I've been thinking of buying some runes - Red Oak Runes from a site I have online. I've made two sets and they haven't come out the way I wanted them to. I've always wanted to learn how to read them, and the time seems right.

I'm doing ok learning to read tarot cards, I feel that right now I need to learn how to read runes.

Can runes used in combination with tarot cards (to clarify a tarot reading) or can the two be reversed (i.e. tarot reading used to clarify runes)? Oh man, I hope that makes sense - it's 6:00 a.m. and I've been up sicne 4 a.m., so I'm a bit loopy.

Thanks for advice in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:53 am
I know there are decks that actually have Futhark printed on the tarot. I don't recommend it for beginners because the symbology is complex and to my eye it actually jumbles two different styles of Tarot Deck (Crowley and VS).

As for making your Futhark, what has been the problem?

I have seen folks use both Futhark and Tarot together. I have a personal distaste for the practice- not because I take issue with folks mixing them in and of itself, but because every person I have ever seen has mentioned that their deck and Futhark hate it when they do it- and then they do it anyway. It's always struck me as rude.

Of note- I am assuming you are speaking of the Futhark, and not say- the Znaki or Ogham, or any of a dozen other Runic systems.  

TeaDidikai

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:52 pm
TeaDidikai

I have seen folks use both Futhark and Tarot together. I have a personal distaste for the practice- not because I take issue with folks mixing them in and of itself, but because every person I have ever seen has mentioned that their deck and Futhark hate it when they do it- and then they do it anyway. It's always struck me as rude.
That is awfully rude of them. I cringe at the idea of doing anything to make my runes grumpier than they already are. What justification do they use for that?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:31 pm
TatteredAngel
TeaDidikai

That is awfully rude of them. I cringe at the idea of doing anything to make my runes grumpier than they already are. What justification do they use for that?
They need want the answers.

Why they don't simply do another reading is beyond me.  

TeaDidikai

Amber Ocean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:47 pm
TeaDidikai
I know there are decks that actually have Futhark printed on the tarot. I don't recommend it for beginners because the symbology is complex and to my eye it actually jumbles two different styles of Tarot Deck (Crowley and VS).

As for making your Futhark, what has been the problem?

Of note- I am assuming you are speaking of the Futhark, and not say- the Znaki or Ogham, or any of a dozen other Runic systems.

That's interesting - I haven't seen Tarot decks that also have Futhrack. I also find that rude. I'm fairly intuitve based and if something doesn't feel right, I try my hardest to not do it again.

Yes, I'm speaking of the Futhark system. My runes haven't turned out the way I've wanted them to. The symbols always smear because the paint doesn't dry all the way, etc. I haven't been able to find a reliable source of 'solid' rock so I used polished river rocks from a craft store. I've made two sets of runes from these rocks - neither of them 'feel' right. I'm thinking of purchasing Red Wood pieces from a website that gives suggestions on how to go about carving the lettering into the wood.

What do you think? I like it better than the idea of buying wood runes from someone off the Internet - energies and such.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:45 pm
Amber Ocean

That's interesting - I haven't seen Tarot decks that also have Futhrack. I also find that rude. I'm fairly intuitve based and if something doesn't feel right, I try my hardest to not do it again.

Yes, I'm speaking of the Futhark system. My runes haven't turned out the way I've wanted them to. The symbols always smear because the paint doesn't dry all the way, etc. I haven't been able to find a reliable source of 'solid' rock so I used polished river rocks from a craft store. I've made two sets of runes from these rocks - neither of them 'feel' right. I'm thinking of purchasing Red Wood pieces from a website that gives suggestions on how to go about carving the lettering into the wood.

What do you think? I like it better than the idea of buying wood runes from someone off the Internet - energies and such.

If you want wood, I suggest pyrography and making your own.

If you want stone- I have a source that puts them into river stone and tumbled semi-precious stones (bloodstone, rose quarts, clear quartz etc).

The woman who makes them... she's amazing. Her daughter was my maid of honor and I have the utmost respect for the whole of her family- not the mention the fact that the woman in question is a true artist.  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:30 am
Amber Ocean
I haven't been able to find a reliable source of 'solid' rock
Do you have any rocky beaches in your vicinity? Those flat, grey stones (shale?) are quite easy to deal with and there's a whole beach of them to find stones the same size and shape. Plus they've been quite thoroughly washed with saltwater wink

And if you use paint you're apparently supposed to varnish it after so the paint doesn't chip or smear.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:12 am
My fiance bought me a set of runes made on those glass beads that they put in fish tanks..... The set works really well for me. I also have a rune deck, which I got first, that is also affective.

Um........what is Futhark, Znaki, and Ogham? I'm not familure with those terms.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:20 pm
Neko_Bast
My fiance bought me a set of runes made on those glass beads that they put in fish tanks..... The set works really well for me. I also have a rune deck, which I got first, that is also affective.

Futhark- the overall term for Norse runic systems (including to one extent or another- The Elder, The Younger, the AngloSaxon and a couple others).

Ogham- The Celtic runic system- my understanding is that it was mostly Irish, from the god Ogma? (Bro? Corrections? Additions?)

Znaki- the runic system I use, Slavic in nature.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:38 pm
TeaDidikai
Neko_Bast

Futhark- the overall term for Norse runic systems (including to one extent or another- The Elder, The Younger, the AngloSaxon and a couple others).

Ogham- The Celtic runic system- my understanding is that it was mostly Irish, from the god Ogma? (Bro? Corrections? Additions?)

Znaki- the runic system I use, Slavic in nature.

Thank you ^-^ I think I use the Futhark runes......I think I should reread my book  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Amber Ocean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:40 pm
TeaDidikai

If you want stone- I have a source that puts them into river stone and tumbled semi-precious stones (bloodstone, rose quarts, clear quartz etc).

The woman who makes them... she's amazing. Her daughter was my maid of honor and I have the utmost respect for the whole of her family- not the mention the fact that the woman in question is a true artist.

Do you know where I would find pyrography wood? I'll Google it, but I was curious if you had a source of where to find it. I like the idea of making my own runes...buying them storebought makes them seem cold.

missmagpie
Amber Ocean
I haven't been able to find a reliable source of 'solid' rock
Do you have any rocky beaches in your vicinity? Those flat, grey stones (shale?) are quite easy to deal with and there's a whole beach of them to find stones the same size and shape. Plus they've been quite thoroughly washed with saltwater wink

And if you use paint you're apparently supposed to varnish it after so the paint doesn't chip or smear.

I have a beach, but it's not very rocky. There's another one, though, that might be better. Thanks for that idea - I really like it - it's like the rocks are a gift from the Lady.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:08 pm
Amber Ocean
TeaDidikai

Do you know where I would find pyrography wood? I'll Google it, but I was curious if you had a source of where to find it. I like the idea of making my own runes...buying them storebought makes them seem cold.
Outside. Find a stick, make staves or rounds, then you can use a candle and pounded wire or a pyography tool  

TeaDidikai

Amber Ocean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:07 am
TeaDidikai
Amber Ocean
TeaDidikai

Outside. Find a stick, make staves or rounds, then you can use a candle and pounded wire or a pyography tool

Oops. *feels silly* I thought that pyography was a type of wood. While on the subject, how would I make one? I think that I might have trouble finding a stick with the right diameter to make the runes. There are a lot of sticks in my area, however, so I might be able to find one. Thanks so much for the suggestions, Tea. I'll keep these in mind.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games