Submit

Do you like Diane Duane?
  One of my favorite authors!
  NO WAY!
  Don't care either way....
View Results

TPila

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:27 pm
I really can't stand her as a Star Trek author. I was happy to find "Spock's World" but I was EXTREMELY dissapointed to find out that Diane Duane wrote it. I find that she goes on and on about scientific things that aren't all that relevant to the plot. I'm interested in science and all, but if I feel like reading about how stars are formed, I'll read a science magazine, not a Trek novel. Am I right? Or am I just being overly critical? How do you like Diane Duane's work?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:31 pm
Actually I quite enjoyed Spock's World...
I allways loved the actually scientific aspect of ST, where-as I was never fond of the drama.
The thing I didnt like about Spock's World...is that I simply found the plot to be a little far-fetched. The Vulcans had been more or less looking out for Earth and the Federation for a long time, they wouldnt be so easily moved to leave it. There's also a big consistancy issue regarding the death of Surak..

Anyway, I actually LOVED all the parts about the history of Vulcan...but..if you've talked to me about trek for about 5 seconds you'll realize I have more then a minor Vulcan fetish. In addition, she's actually quite accurate in her knowedge of science.  

Ken5hachan

TPila

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:52 pm
Kenshachan
I allways loved the actually scientific aspect of ST, where-as I was never fond of the drama.
The thing I didnt like about Spock's World...is that I simply found the plot to be a little far-fetched. The Vulcans had been more or less looking out for Earth and the Federation for a long time, they wouldnt be so easily moved to leave it. There's also a big consistancy issue regarding the death of Surak..

Anyway, I actually LOVED all the parts about the history of Vulcan...but..if you've talked to me about trek for about 5 seconds you'll realize I have more then a minor Vulcan fetish. In addition, she's actually quite accurate in her knowedge of science.

I'm sure she's accurate, and trust me, I don't mind scientific inserts, I find them informative and interesting, BUT 6 pages size 10 print about how Vulcan's solar system was formed was a little much for me. I'm a huge Vulcan fan, and I would like to read about its people's history... but not it's solar system's history-- at least not when I'm in the mood for a novel.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:07 pm
TPila
Kenshachan

I'm sure she's accurate, and trust me, I don't mind scientific inserts, I find them informative and interesting, BUT 6 pages size 10 print about how Vulcan's solar system was formed was a little much for me. I'm a huge Vulcan fan, and I would like to read about its people's history... but not it's solar system's history-- at least not when I'm in the mood for a novel.

Oh...I actually found that entire section quite intruiging...
I'm odd though I suppose; then again, had it been a long drawn out ramble about the development of Qo'noS I probably would have found it tiedus as well. However, anything I can get my hands on about T'Khasi I usually enjoy, regardless of how boring it may seem XD  

Ken5hachan

TPila

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Kenshachan
TPila
Kenshachan

I'm odd though I suppose; then again, had it been a long drawn out ramble about the development of Qo'noS I probably would have found it tiedus as well. However, anything I can get my hands on about T'Khasi I usually enjoy, regardless of how boring it may seem XD

lol XD, I guess everyone just has different tastes.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:44 pm
I was surfing through old threads and found this one.

Is it just because of Spock's World that you can't stand Diane Duane? 'Cause she's one of my all-time favorite authors, Trek or otherwise. She's written other Trek books that are really good, as well as three Spider-Man novels and an original series, Young Wizards (extremely good).

But if it is just because of Spock's World, you gotta remember, everyone has off days...er, books. I write fanfiction - not even going to pretend it's anywhere near her level of writing - but even I know that it's hard to get some things to come across right. Ngh...am I making any sense?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't write her off completely just because of one book. Give her a shot, 'kay?  

YoukaiLuvr

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shai_Hulud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:53 am
I think she's one of the better of the writers of Star Trek books, but I don't think she's a very interesting writer. I tried to read Spock's World, but man, it was boring. But she is good at writing. It seems most writers of those books don't really know what they're doing.

I don't really like Star Trek books. I've only read one good one. The rest I've found quite boring.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:05 pm
Kenshachan
TPila
Kenshachan

It's funny how all our likings are quite different. I must say that I found the part about Vulcan's 'solar system' interesting, but all of the history I couldn't deal with. I think Vulcans are totaly awesome, but since they don't actually exist, I could care less how they got that way.  

Shai_Hulud

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:46 am
The only works by Duane I like are the Young Wizard Series of books.

I saw Spock's World at the bookshop at Fort Sam Houston, but didn't bother picking it up. It seemed...wrong somehow.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games