Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Tea is amusing herself again. (Or… if Prophecy is silent)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:03 pm
So the question to the peanut gallery is this:
Do you believe that were a piece of prophecy were to be robbed of it’s voice, would there be repercussions, and if so- what?

Take a couple examples and amuse yourself:

1) A card reader does a reading, forsees both boon and bane for the individual and does not act upon the reading.

2) While using an Ecstatic Ritual as a means to prophecy, the Oracle smacks their head and passes out- forgetting their insight.

3) Cassandra (still my favorite insult) keeps her mouth shut. Does Troy still fall?

4) A fit of prophecy is written for others to see, but destroyed before it is ever read.

Opinions? Musings? Amusements?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:23 pm
I want to see where this goes. Could make for an excellent fantasy book premise.

shut up, I like crappy fantasy.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Triste-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:34 pm
Nuri
I want to see where this goes. Could make for an excellent fantasy book premise.

Have you ever read anything by limyaael? She does all these rants about writing fantasy stories and she also writes her own stuff which is very good. The one about the girl prophesized to be Queen in the country where monarchies don't exist is pretty awesome. xd

Peoples: You're destined to be Queen!

Ydana: ... The ******** is a Queen?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:45 am
Um. But isn't the point of a tarot reading that it reflects what will probably happen anyway? I mean, even if I hadn't seen signs of doom and gloom in my readings before January I still would have gotten Mono, because medically I had already contracted it.

Can't say that much for various other prophecies though. There's too much of things that are expected to happen that don't these days.  

Pelta

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 am
Triste-chan
Nuri

Have you ever read anything by limyaael? She does all these rants about writing fantasy stories and she also writes her own stuff which is very good. The one about the girl prophesized to be Queen in the country where monarchies don't exist is pretty awesome. xd

Peoples: You're destined to be Queen!

Ydana: ... The ******** is a Queen?

She's on my friends list!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:44 am
If it is prophosy, than whether or not it is recorded is irrelevant. There would be no way to stop it from happening. However, the thought of universal reprecautions for lost insight is a very interesting idea indeed. I suppose the reprecaution would be that they were unprepared for whatever awaited them. That seems to be a proper use of the sort of irony that is often the case of reprecaution for some reason...  

Kal Eldritch

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:05 am
I liken this world to a stage, and all who live to actors.
Prophecy is when one of teh actors is reads the script ahead of time.
But the kicker is this, not all actors follow the script.
Some of us play improv, and some of us take the stage after we are written out.

As far as silencing prophecies... it doesn't change the script... but it will effect how people who don't follow it act.
Story continuity falls apart when a key line is missed, it makes the other character's responses odd, unatural.
How well would Oedipus have faired, if his father had not reacted to the forecast of his own fall?
How much of presentation of a prophecy is presented specifically to make the prophesy come about?
Also, if there is enough predestination to make prophesy reliable... would that not also mean prophesies which are silenced were meant to be silenced.
That lost glimpse of the future, that moment of inactivity... those are just as scripted as the event being prophesized.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:01 am
Trippy. I think it depends on the situation. Take Oedipus for example. If there hadn't been that prophecy about him killing his father and marrying his mother, it probably won't have happened because he would have known who his parents were. Maybe it depends on who's told.  

psychessuicide

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff