Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
World Myths, Greek and Otherwise Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What the heck are the Orphic Mysteries?
  Sounds you make that no one can identify. Like urhukk-uk.
  Did they involve a singing head? Please say they didn't!
  Pythagoras will hear of this!
  I'm still sworn to secrecy on that topic.
  Burn, witch, burn!
  What does this have to do with ANYTHING? Give me some gold!
  Euridyce proposition at this point. Ha!
View Results

pkmn1995

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:10 am
i love myths and legends....actually i loved it before i loved fantasy....oddly strange....  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:19 pm
I'm not as well versed in Roman and Greek mythology as I am in Norse myths. One of my favorites is about the two great wolves Hati and Skoll who chase after the sun and the moon. During an eclipse, Ethier Hati ( who chases after the moon) or Skoll (who chases after the sun) catches it's prey but everytime it still gets away. ( acording to what I'm looking at.)  

Catred

Magnetic Sex Symbol

5,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Brandisher 100

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:58 pm
I'm well-versed in Greek mythology, probably moreso than Roman. I think that I'm most knowledgeable about the Egyptian mythos, though, since they are often among my favorites. I'd like to learn more about Celtic, Norse, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and American Indian mythologies. I'm a mythology geek! rolleyes

random fact: my favorite myth is the Egyptian story of Sekhmet, "The Destruction of Mankind." Loves it! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:56 pm
I have a whole encyclopedia of celtic, classic, and norse mythology. I'm also a mythology geek! xd Some of my friends are to.  

Catred

Magnetic Sex Symbol

5,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Brandisher 100

Shexyfeline92

Blessed Wench

9,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:47 am
Quote:
By the way, speaking of feminine forms, does anybody know if Rhiannon, the Welsh whatever goddess, had red hair? I can't seem to confirm or deny it, but I've known a lot of young ladies named Rhiannon who were born with red hair.

That's my name, but i have brown hair and she's the goddess of horses i believe if someone hasn't already said.

I like Greek myths too but whatever snipets of stuff i hear from tv and books about every other cultures myths i find interseting. Like in the stargate Sg-1 series they talked about a lot of different deities adn their are a couple of games like Okami and Too Human who use mythology in their stories.

My favorite stories involving myths are The Oddyessy(Haven't read the Illiad) and Gilgamesh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:16 pm
Ah, mythology. I could ramble on for hours about this.

I've been big into Celtic mythology since I was in primary school. The old Irish ledgends fascinated me. Learning many of them at first from a very Catholic point of view, its been fascinating for me to link them all to the older Pagan myths.
Fionn MacCumhaill, Oisin and Tir na nÓg, Deirdre and Naoise, Cuchuailann The Children of Lir and the Táin Bó Chuailgne.
The story of Saint Brighid has long been a favourite as well, especially now that I know of the Pagan connontations and Brigid of the Tuathe Dé Danann.

As for Greek and Roman mythology, I've recently become fascinated with them, but I'me not all that well versed in them.

Foolish Catalyst

Kateryna of Kyiv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:25 pm
I think Norse mythology has had a greater affect of the world then Greek/Roman.
You can see a lot of stories stolen from Norse mythology in the bible, a lot of popular fairy tales and modern stories. Final Fantasy series and so on.

On the subject of Greek and Roman myth my favorite story would be the one of the Halcyon birds.

As for Norse my favorite would be The valkyrie from the witches heart.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:08 pm
One of my favorite books, which is actually sci-fi but I skim (sp?) over the too technical stuff, is David Weber's "Path of the Fury." Despite the basic sci-fi elements like advance technology and other planets, etc. it's a pretty good book and I love the connection to the Greek myth of the furies.  

ArtemisLiCa

stellacadente

9,600 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:22 pm
I am a total mythology geek.

I went to a private high school run by fundamentalists, aka Baptist Prison Camp. The administration had no clue how to teach British Literature, since it is so infused and informed by Greek and to a lesser extent Roman mythological references.

The first class I signed up for in college? You got it: Greek and Roman mythology. Still my favorite college class of all time ... and I took a lot of classes before getting around to graduating!

And later in life, I became a pagan. So now I have motivation to learn more!  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff