Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Help with Samhain

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MOD66

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:39 pm
This is the holiday (for lack of a better word) that one can commune with the dead, am I correct. Assuming that I am I will keep talking. For those that know me I have a lot of trouble with my past mainly things dealing with my Abusive, Perfectionist, b*****d of a father. I’m currently going to a program called Ala-teen (for Teens who are affected by Alcoholism in a family member or close friend) and one of the steps (same as AA's steps) is:

Alateen - a day at a time page # 368 Wrote:

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others

Thus I would like to talk to my father and basically make amends to him and apologize for hating him for so many years. If any one knows any was to contact the dead and are willing to share them that would be great. Note: I am waiting till Samhain to do this because of the significance.

If I am totally off about Samhain then let me know.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24 pm
Twack
This is the holiday (for lack of a better word) that one can commune with the dead, am I correct.
Depends on the "Samhain" you are addressing. Not all of Neo-Paganism Paradigm Pirates agree on if it is a time to honor those who have passed, or actually commune with them. (Some neo-pagans I know personally consider speaking with the dead to be -dundundun.... Black Maji3k!).

Do note however that I can also think of dozens of cultures that have Ancestor festivals at a number of different times of year.  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:32 am
Twack
For those that know me I have a lot of trouble with my past mainly things dealing with my Abusive, Perfectionist, b*****d of a father.
....snip...
Thus I would like to talk to my father and basically make amends to him and apologize for hating him for so many years. If any one knows any was to contact the dead and are willing to share them that would be great.

You try to raise your father with emotions like that in your heart using Samhain as your paradigm and you'll get yourself eaten by the nearest gribbly passing by, unless of course you're talking about necromancy which is not my area of expertise.

Go see a good psychotherapist or counsellor. Magic is not the answer here, psychodrama is.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:27 pm
TeaDidikai
Twack
This is the holiday (for lack of a better word) that one can commune with the dead, am I correct.
Depends on the "Samhain" you are addressing. Not all of Neo-Paganism Paradigm Pirates agree on if it is a time to honor those who have passed, or actually commune with them. (Some neo-pagans I know personally consider speaking with the dead to be -dundundun.... Black Maji3k!).

Do note however that I can also think of dozens of cultures that have Ancestor festivals at a number of different times of year.
i think a roman festival for the dead is Lemuria, oddly enough, held in the first couple of weeks of may...  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:50 pm
phoenix shadowwolf
TeaDidikai
Twack

i think a roman festival for the dead is Lemuria, oddly enough, held in the first couple of weeks of may...
Not really that odd. One of the Nav Dien fall near May as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:52 pm
If you really want to contact your father to forgive him, why don;t you write him a long good letter, in which you say everything you need to say. In that letter ask him to give you a sign in the following day to let you know he has received your letter. (This can be in a dream of a book that falls open with some anwser...or such...)

And burn it on halloween/samhain or any other festival which is known for the thinning of the veil.

You don't need to perform neccromancy to do this and it might help you in your quest for healing.  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 pm
Im no psychologist, but the whole reason of the apologising to the one who made you feel insecure is to affect a change within yourself. Its not so much the talking to him thats important, its the realisation of what happened in yourself so that you can move on. Accepting it is half of solving the problem.

And I wouldnt suggest trying any necromancy around Samhain. Youd be fried by the nearest munchkin, as Reagun rightly pointed out.

*Apologies for bad grammer. I havent figured out how to use apostrophes on this accursed Italian keyboard.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:17 pm
missmagpie
And I wouldnt suggest trying any necromancy around Samhain. Youd be fried by the nearest munchkin, as Reagun rightly pointed out.

I think he could probably take a munchkin, I mean they are tiny.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:51 pm
My father is recently deceased. I already communicate with him frequently in ritual and outside of ritual and we haven't even had our first Samhain since he left this world. Waiting until Samhain to hold your first emotional ritual for the dead is like looking to buy your first car by leaping into traffic on the freeway. You might be too distracted by other things to find what you want, and whatever you do find might hit ya' rather hard. I say don't put it off. If you want to talk to your father, do so now in prayer. In a ritual space, at wherever his remains are laid, or right there at your computer talking to the part of him that lives always within you.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games