Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Holidays that fall near the end of October

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:38 am
So a Didikai Domari, Three Recons and a Zoroastrian all walk into a bar…

I couldn’t resist. It sounded like such a bad joke.

The inspiriation is that- as tenitive plans and desires of involved parties stand, I have one Celtic Recon, one Hellenic Recon, one Norse Recon, a Zoroastrian and of course, myself here- at my home, for that “end of October” festival.
Fogmani, Samhain, Thesmophoria, Nav Dien… the list goes on, especially considering that none of these days are really so much “days” as seasons of celebration.

And that’s just the Northern European faiths- haven’t touched on my extended practices or the only “pagan” religion I know of that holds Yeshua ben Yoseph as their prophet/incarnated god etc.

So- I think it is reasonable that at some point my guests might wander off and honor this season in their own special way. However, I can’t help but think that with the people involved, it would be a great idea to do something together.

Having worked for SummerStar, a festival presented by the Primitive Celtic Church- I have an idea as to what goes into making a great ritual. The process can take months, and while the limited participation in this simplifies matters to a certain extent, there is still a lot of thinking, planning and the like to be done.

Which brings me to the point of the topic-

What does this season mean to others?
What aspects are vital in it’s celebration?

I want to keep this specific to what individuals do. We all know how the generic neo-pagans cast circles and do cakes and ales.

What do you hold to be important to the spirit of the season?
What aspects of ritual could you not live without come the season’s holidays?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:07 am
TeaDidikai
So a Didikai Domari, Three Recons and a Zoroastrian all walk into a bar…

I couldn’t resist. It sounded like such a bad joke.
I want to hear the end of this joke when it comes to fruition. wink

Quote:

For me it means carrying around more iron because the Sidhe go rampant around Samhain. But that's beside the point...
It means the sun's decline, the nights becoming longer than the days. Winter's coming, summer's ending. Autumn things are happening.

Quote:
Bonfire. Definately. 3nodding

Quote:

Leaves changing color. The Veils growing thin. That Autumn smell in the air. Apples. Dressing up. Apple pie and apple crumble. That oddness in the air around that time of year. Ummm... I don't really know what else to give you.

Quote:
Eh... My Path doesn't actually have any specific holidays around then except the Equinox. Nor does it have rituals... I might do something on a specific day because I have to but I won't know until the time comes. Sometimes my stuff is a bit too spontaneous. For example an Autumn ritual for me would be walking through orange woods, finding a nice spot and sitting there for a while. Then I'd go home, possibly picking up some token on the way if the forest felt like giving it to me.
Sorry if I'm not much help... That probably wasn't what you were looking for. sweatdrop  

Pelta

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:53 am
I'll have to look intop the falls stuff for us. Outside of a bit of Harvest festivalry, my kindred tends to be pretty quiet until Yule.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:25 am
Deoridhe
I'll have to look intop the falls stuff for us. Outside of a bit of Harvest festivalry, my kindred tends to be pretty quiet until Yule.
Quiet... Asatru? Isn't that an oxymoron?  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:14 pm
TeaDidikai

The drinking of whiskey to honour my ancestors, pouring a tiny amount on the soil.
That's all that's vital

TeaDidikai

See above.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:37 pm
Outside of the seasonal context- how else would folks honor said ancestors?

Also- any idea as to why a number of different cultures have Ancestor holidays around this time of year?

I tend to think it comes from the fact that those who died aren't there to help with winter preperations and while some were inclined to b***h about this fact, others had fond memories are their loved ones who were departed.  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:18 pm
TeaDidikai
I tend to think it comes from the fact that those who died aren't there to help with winter preperations and while some were inclined to b***h about this fact, others had fond memories are their loved ones who were departed.
That and perhaps it seemed like a season of death when all the trees and animals seemed to die or disappear.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:46 pm
TeaDidikai

I want to keep this specific to what individuals do. We all know how the generic neo-pagans cast circles and do cakes and ales.

The October season mean a lot to me since it holds my fav. holiday, Halloween! ^-^ Evan though I celebrate Samhain(sp?), it will always be Haloween to me. A holiday of Ghosts and Spirits, of remembering the dead, and winding down to prepare for winter. One of the things that I absolutly have to have are Jack-o-lanterns. Those grining light up faces that turn away evil. ^-^ I also put a pict of my dad on my altar (he died years ago), and some apple slices for the dead that come by that night. Other than that, I just love how the air feels, all soft and errie.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Pelta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:22 am
reagun ban
TeaDidikai

The drinking of whiskey to honour my ancestors, pouring a tiny amount on the soil.

My god likes whiskey too. ninja

I have an odd thing when it comes to ancestors. For one, they were from so many different cultures it would be difficult to honor all of them properly. Secondly, some of them weren't actually honorable people. Third, I haven't researched my lineage beyond my great-grandparents because we don't know who some of them are (*has odd family*). I do still honor and respect my grandfather who died a few years ago but he still hangs about my grandmother's house waiting for her so I honor him at Christmas when I'm there. Other than that, the ancestor thing really isn't a huge part of my practise.

Halloween is still great fun though. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:39 am
My Goddess adores the stuff.
My God doesn't really like the whole "Alcohol" thing. He's more interested in shiny stones, cooked meat, feasting, ******** and burning things.

Anyone wanna play spot the Celt?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:53 am
reagun ban

Oooh! Ooooh! I wanna play! Let's see... stubborn, pigheaded, drinks a lot... likes to hurt things... doesn't get sarcasm... You can see where this is going. xp  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:47 am
missmagpie
reagun ban

Oooh! Ooooh! I wanna play! Let's see... stubborn, pigheaded, drinks a lot... likes to hurt things... doesn't get sarcasm... You can see where this is going. xp

Yeah, but I was referring to myself, not your piece of meat.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:20 am
reagun ban
missmagpie
reagun ban

Yeah, but I was referring to myself, not your piece of meat.
gonk But I like my piece of meat!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff