Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Anything to know before I go?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A_Flames_Desire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:12 pm
So, I'll soon be 18: woot!
Anyways, now that I'll finally be of legal age, I can go out and look for a Coven. Obviously I still have some time left :points to signature: but I want to know if I should start reading any specifc material? And advice on looking and searching for a coven is greatly appriciated!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:15 pm
A_Flames_Desire
Anyways, now that I'll finally be of legal age, I can go out and look for a Coven. Obviously I still have some time left :points to signature: but I want to know if I should start reading any specifc material? And advice on looking and searching for a coven is greatly appriciated!
Check your references, double check your references and then cross reference.
Not all spiritual beings are there to help you.
Be mindful of the future but live in the present and may the force be with you.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

A_Flames_Desire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:00 pm
reagun ban
A_Flames_Desire
Check your references, double check your references and then cross reference.
Not all spiritual beings are there to help you.
Be mindful of the future but live in the present and may the force be with you.

^//^
Thank you very much Sir! :Salutes:  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:16 pm
What kind of coven are you looking for?  

TeaDidikai

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:04 pm
With a wild guess that you're seeking a Wiccan Coven, some of the following responses include copied and pasted text from my Wicca thread on the PathWays subforum. If you're seeking another type of Coven, you can probably disregard much of this!

A_Flames_Desire
I want to know if I should start reading any specifc material?

In my humble opinion, books are always good, but as for specific material... Nah!

A_Flames_Desire
Advice on looking and searching for a coven is greatly appriciated!

First of all, realize that finding the right Coven can take many years. Even if there's one next door to you, they may not advertize and they may not be accepting students right now. Be patient and keep putting your intentions out there in your local Pagan-friendly community. Talk to folks in local metaphysical bookstores and spiritual shops. Go to open circles. You might even try checking Online with Witchvox.com or Amberandjet.org. If you find a Wiccan who is not accepting students or who lives too far away from you, go ahead and talk to them anyway. Chances are that they know somebody who knows somebody. Be polite. Word does get around. Also, realize that you may have to do some serious communting to get to your Covenstead. Some people have to drive long distances, travel out of state, take a ferry, or do other amazing feats to become part of the Wiccan clergy. Remember, Catholic priests go to seminary. The Wiccan priesthood is just as serious a comittment.

It's very important to verify lineage. Real Wiccans will expect this and will admire you for taking this bold but necessary step. Don't worry, they won't feel insulted! The first step in verification is to ask your potential Initiator(s) who will vouch for them. They will give you the contact information of other Wiccans who are willing to have their contact information given out to Seekers! Don't be alarmed if they don't give you the name and address of their Initiator. Maybe their Initiator isn't down with that kind of thing. Contact the people and verify your Wiccan's story.

The next step is to get independent verifications. That means that if you already know a Wiccan, even if they live far away from the Wiccan you've found, you can contact your known Wiccan and ask if they can get anyone to vouch for your found Wiccan. Your known Wiccan will be able to go through the proper channels to find a vouch. If you don't know ANY Wiccans anywhere, then you can try joining a list like Amberandjet.org and posting something like "can anyone vouch for a [insert Trad here] Wiccan in [insert state here]" and wait for responses. You'd be surprised how many independent vouches will come out of the woodwork! Also, this will get easier with time as you get in contact with verified Wiccans who can route your questions quickly to the appropriate people. NOTE: Getting no vouches for a person on A&J is just as suspicious as if you were to get negative comments about a person on A&J. Keep digging for answers. Don't take silence as assent. Run, don't walk, from a person who has earned no positive vouches from valid Wiccans.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:03 am
Thank you sooo much!
And I'm thining of looking for just a Pagan based coven. Course... ^ ^::: thats kind of silly really.
However, I do kind of want to find a Wiccan coven...still kind of spilt on it.  

A_Flames_Desire

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:37 pm
A_Flames_Desire
And I'm thining of looking for just a Pagan based coven. Course... ^ ^::: thats kind of silly really. However, I do kind of want to find a Wiccan coven...still kind of spilt on it.

Start with just a Pagan coven first! There might be public, open circles in your area that you can drop-in upon and explore when you feel like it!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:26 am
Have you seen the ABCDEF? http://www.neopagan.net/ABCDEF.html
Scroll down, you'll get there 3nodding  

Kahri

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:26 pm
Kahri
Have you seen the ABCDEF? http://www.neopagan.net/ABCDEF.html
Scroll down, you'll get there 3nodding
It has it's merits.

It also has it's flaws as it asks for so much subjective imput.

For example, Catholicism would rate pretty far on the chart- and if something as harmless as that scores so high- what chance does a small coven have?

I also have an issue with some of the built in "idealism" in the system. Little things that ding a group a few points here and there can add up fast.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:46 pm
A_Flames_Desire

Just because you are 18 doesnt mean you should leap into things right away.

Being over 18 is one step but if you dont feel ready then you arent ready. There is no shame in waiting a few more years if thats whats needed.

Keep your eyes and ears out but dont be over eager otherwise it may put others off.

You have time on your side.  

quantum_leaper

crystal_raye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:06 pm
As with anything, use common sense and follow your instincts 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:05 am
quantum_leaper
A_Flames_Desire

Just because you are 18 doesnt mean you should leap into things right away.

Being over 18 is one step but if you dont feel ready then you arent ready. There is no shame in waiting a few more years if thats whats needed.

Keep your eyes and ears out but dont be over eager otherwise it may put others off.

You have time on your side.

Well I understand that, but being 18 means I can go and seek first hand experince and stuff. Something that I havn't had, I've always been solitary. While it's great and all, I want to be able to learn more, stuff that I can't learn being solitary.  

A_Flames_Desire

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff