Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
I have a Goal. A Goal for the summer.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cathemeral Bird

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:06 pm
Of course, this goal of mine hardly REALLY has to do with weight. I just want to be thin, really. However, I don't really know what's healty for my height... I'm about 5'9''. I figured that I should be about 130 or so? Suggestions are appreciated. heart So, I should lose about 4 pounds a week, and I have three months. Doing the math in my head, I figured out that if I stuck to this and DID lose 4 pounds a week, I should lose about 48 pounds over the summer. Around there. Anyway, suggestions on how much weight I SHOULD lose are greatly appreciated. And I'll be keeping track here.

Week One- Five pounds lost.
Week Two- Current.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:19 pm
I'm 5'6'' and I was always under the impression that 150 was a good weight. Then again I've also got 50 pounds to lose, and I really do have big bones, so maybe 130 isn't a bad goal for you. I don't know. I'm realistically dreaming of 150, and maybe once I'm there I can think about 130. I wish you luck.

My suggestion for right now, because I'm doing it, is taking dance classes. I have tap dance every Tuesday, and ballet every Thursday, and my teacher is fabulous and it's tons of fun. It's hard work, but the fun level far outweighs the difficulty level so it doesn't feel like work out. I'm much more likely to do Pilates or Yoga at home on the off days too, so I can improve my dance (especially ballet).  

Scarlet Sayuri

Cathemeral Bird

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:50 pm
I'm not a huge fan of dance, really. x3 I feel like I might be intimidated by anyone else in the class who already looks good. I also don't like plain working out, but doing games that are physical.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:15 pm
I feel so short! I'm only 5' - and I'm not getting any taller. ^^;
Anyway, I'm kind of going for the same thing. I want to be slim and toned by the summer, and lose only a couple pounds.

I'm not sure what would be a healthy weight for you. Just check out your current BMI and what your BMI will be if you lose the amount of weight you want and make your judgments from that.

Although, I'm kind of thinking that 130 lbs could be a little low for your size, I cannot be sure. But no matter what you chose do what's healthy for you - not what 'looks good'.

A.Midnight.Whisper

Deadlock Victim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:18 pm
Hi there,

I think your ideal weight will depend on how old you are and your build/body frame...the lower end for your height is around 135 and the higher end is around 168lb (going by the weight watchers website I found)...but it does vary slightly depending on which BMI calulator/website you use and also other factors.

You might find that depending on how you exercise and what you eat you may only lose 2lb a week - which is recommended as a healthy way to lose weight anyway...but I know how you feel - getting the weight off as soon as possible xD. If you do lose 4lb a week just be careful that you aren't losing muscle as well and that you aren't making yourself ill - I've done this - not good D:  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:30 pm
Yes, it is suggested that a healthier weight loss is around 2 lbs a week. Weight may come off faster in the beginning but will eventually plateau  

Aeren
Crew

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:01 pm
If you don't have the Weight Watchers literature handy, a fairly decent rule of thumb is that 5' = 100 pounds (give or take 5 depending on your bone structure), and that every inch above that should add four to six pounds depending on your bone structure. Someone 5'4" with big bones should weigh about 124, while someone 5'8" with medium bones should be about 140. At your height, you'd come out at either 136 for thin bones or 154 for thick bones.

Come to think of it, that does sound like what Weight Watchers literature says for someone 5'9".  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:24 pm
I did some calculations, and for someone who is 5'9" the healthy weight range is considered to be somewhere between these numbers:

125 pounds and 168 pounds. (That's what a BMI calculator tells me, although 125 seems EXTREMELY thin for someone your height)

A big factor in determining where you should fall in that weight range is your bone structure. If you're a very small-boned person you'll probably want to stay between 125 and 140. If you're about average or medium-sized in bone structure, you probably want to stay somewhere between 140 and 155. (This is the most typical weight for someone your height.) If you're a broad person, you'll probably be your healthiest somewhere inbetween 155 and 168 pounds.

Of course, the best way to tell when to stop losing weight is when you look and feel your best-- and are within the healthy range. biggrin You may not be able to tell how much weight to lose now, but as you get closer to your goal weight youll get a better idea of how far you want to go.

EDIT: My above calculations go by the rule that a healthy BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. Many people consider anything below a 20 BMI to be underweight for adults. Opinion varies on this.

The Weight Watcher's literature gives these guidelines to follow:

MINIMUM weight for ALL adults: 135
Recommended maximum for ages up to 25 years old: 155
MAXIMUM weight for all adults: 169

So: according to weight watchers you'd be best off somewhere between 135 pounds and 155 -- IF you're an adult under the age of 25.

If you're still growing, then, keep in mind that your ideal weight ranges will change with your height.  

BlinkyTheRed

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games