Reply Rude Discussion
Ska Guitar

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[SkIPpY-KnIVeS]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:33 pm
i wanna play ska guitar (i usually play punk), i know how, but i'm having trouble with amp/effect settings. those of you who play, can you help me?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:05 pm
I don't know I'm not a guitar player (sax and keyboard I can do). There's got to be someone here to help you though.  

GIoom
Vice Captain

Electric Uncle Akuma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:28 pm
Wait, if you know the style, upstrokes and the feel, there's nothing to do to your amp or whatever. Ska guitar is clean.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:43 pm
Tis drummer sorry...  

[Play Ziggy]

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:33 pm
Sorry, trombone/trumpet player

All I know is that normally, you don't have any kinds of effects when playing. Just clean guitar  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:20 am
ok Skippy
Well Mostly upstrokes and llike a way you blay the barchordes helps too  

Status Quo Joe

The Murmur

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:46 pm
Well... Yeah, mainly upstrokes and you use the barre chords a lot, but you also still use power chords (Depending on which wave of ska you want to play). Umm.. My settings on my VS65R Marshall Amp I use at home are as followed:
1st Channel (Clean): Bass to 2.5, Middle to 6.5, Treb to 8.5/9
2nd Channel (Distortion): Gain to 5, Bass to 9.5, Contour to 2.5/3, Treb to 3.5, Overall Reverb shouldn't be higher than 6.5. But for pedal board I just use a cheap Boss DS-1 pedal/Synth Wah, and I always love to mess around with my crybaby wah mad P:
You just have to adjust the settings on the pedals to your liking though.

But it also depends on what guitar you're using..
I love using a Gibson Les Paul Studio, it produces the most amazing sound ever! When you start playing those upstrokes you definately tell a MAJOR diff from any other guitar. But to tell you the truth.. My fav guitar by far is my Gibson Firebird V.. But it's all determined by taste of sound on which guitar you should use.. Ernie Ball guitars are always good too! I would stay away from Ibanze and Fenders... To me they are crap.. I was stuck with a Fender Squire Strat for 2 years 'til I got my Les Paul, but in all honestly Fender is a great guitar to start off with, but thats it.

I hope that helps you a little bit.. If you have any other questions or help, you are more than welcome to PM me biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:50 am
King Of The Ska
Sorry, trombone/trumpet player

All I know is that normally, you don't have any kinds of effects when playing. Just clean guitar

Drag Hustler

Ska-d_For_Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:46 am
I normally just have my guitar set to clean with a slight crunch to it, and more bass than treble, and I normally use the middle pickup. It all depends on the style you want and like, it's different for everyone I suppose!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:30 am
I usually go clean with ska. My amp also has these 2 stteings I like with ska. Auto Wah and Tweed. Not together though. Then it sounds like funk.  

bob111234

Rude Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff