Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Budget Meals Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Famicommie
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:59 am
DreamerSpirit
Another tip is to shop around, and see whats available in your area. I'm still discovering new food stores in my city, and I've lived here all my life!

For lower prices go to fruit stands instead of the supermarket, and also check out local cultrual food shops. A Korean market near my house sells tofu for around $0.75 per block! Another thing is to look for co-ops. As far as I know, a lot of them carry good, cheap, organic foods in bulk, and you can often buy things such as dried beans, lentils, and grains, by weight.

Yeah, there's a Chinese grocery store by my job that sells soybeans for about fifty cents a pound, and giant twenty pound bags of brown rice for real cheap, too. The polish grocery store by my flat sells forty pound bags of flour for about ten dollars and sells the fresh yeast to make vegan bread really cheap, too.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:02 pm
Rice Noodles are great. What I do is boil 'em, throw in a veggie stock cube, maybe a pinch of curry powder, some frozen peas, carrots, corn and beans (you can usually get them as a frozen mix) and throw on rice noodles...voila... instant dinner.  

trampyre

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:52 pm
I've been cooking more lately, and as far as cheap meals go, here are a few ideas:

Chili: Throw some tomato sauce, chili powder, beans, peppers, onions, and corn into a pot and let it cook for a bit. It's cheap, healthy, and good.

Lentil Soup: Toss some lentils, onions, carrots, celery, and veggie stock into a pot and leave it to cook for a bit. Viola, another cheap, easy, and good meal! ^_^

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it. 3nodding  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces