Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Tea Time!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have Some Tea?
  Yuck!
  Yes, please!
View Results

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:34 pm
TEA

Summer is upon us and it is the perfect time to enjoy cool, refreshing teas. Share your favorite drinks here!

Tea Terminology

First off, what is a decoction and an infusion?

-An Infusion is steeping a part of a plant (leaves, stems, roots, flowers, or fruit) in a liquid (water for making tea) for a certain period of time. The longer the time you infuse something the more concentrated it becomes. Things can also be infused in vinegar, oil, or alcohol such as vodka.

-A Decoction is boiling a plant part, usually the hard parts, to make a concentrated extract. This is much more stronger then infusions and often used to make medicinal teas.

What is a Tisane?

From Wikipedia:
"An herbal tea, tisane, or ptisan is an herbal infusion not made from the leaves of the tea bush (Camellia sinensis). (Varieties of "real" tea include black, oolong, green, yellow, and white tea.) Tisanes can be made with fresh or dried flowers, leaves, seeds or roots, generally by pouring boiling water over the plant parts and letting them steep for a few minutes. Seeds and roots can also be boiled on a stove. The tisane is then strained, sweetened if so desired, and served."

So it's any infusion of herbs with out the tea leaves.

Tea History:/u]

Types of Tea:

from cuisinenet:

There are 3 types of teas:

Black- To make black tea they let the juices from the leaves have contact with the air "oxidation" but this is called fermentation by tea makers . This darkens the tea. This process gives the tea a astingent, robust flavor and aroma. This process is short, it takes no longer then four hours. Once this is done the tea is "fired" over dry heat. When boiled or steeped the tea produces a reddish-amber color. Also called red tea for its color.

Green-Green tea is made by preventing the tea leaves from ever oxidizing at all. The leaves are steamed right after the withering stage, which destroys the enzymes that would otherwise cause the darkening. The steamed leaves are rolled and immediately fired. Thus, the dried tea leaves remain green, and the brewed tea, a pale green liquid, has a subtle, slightly bitter flavor, with grassy hints of the flavor of the fresh plant. Because the tannins do not go through the oxidizing process, which has a mellowing effect, green tea can be bitterer, more astringent than black, especially if it is steeped for a long time.

Oolong-Oolongs and pouchongs are "semi-fermented" teas. That is, they are processed the same way that black teas are, but they aren't allowed to oxidize fully. For pouchong tea, the oxidizing step is reduced to about one-quarter of the full length. Oolongs (which are more popular), ferment longer, about half as long as a black tea. Predictably, the flavor of a semi-fermented tea is somewhere in between black tea and green tea. Particularly good oolongs are supposed to have a peachy flavor and aroma. One of the best of these, Formosa Oolong, is produced on the island of Taiwan. The word Formosa comes from the name given to Taiwan by 16th-century Portuguese explorers. Ilha Formosa, they called it "Beautiful Island."

The Best Way To Make Tea:

Caffiene in Tea:

The Health Benefits of Tea:

More Drink info to come!

My Favorite place to buy tea: Republic of Tea

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:36 pm
My Recipes

Strawberry and Lemon Balm-Infused Rose Wine

1. Trim, wash and slice 1 quart strawberries. Wash and shred 4 tablespoons lemon balm leaves.

2. Mix strawberries, lemon balm, 4 tbsp super-fine sugar, and bottle of rose wine.

3. Cover and refrigerate for 2 days, shaking occasionally. Strain and serve chilled, garnished with a sprig of lemon balm and sliced strawberries.

Fresh Strawberry Chamomile Green Tea Infusion

1. Early in the morning pick 5 ripened strawberries and about a hand full of chamomile sprigs. (or use chamomile green tea)

2. Make a pitcher of green tea. While the tea is still hot add sliced strawberries and chopped chamomile Let it sit in the fridge for at least a day. The longer it sits the better. Strain and serve chilled.

Other Recipes:

(From TeaLand.com)

ICED TEA RECIPES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fruit Tea Punch
Ingredients:

2 Bags Golden Green tea
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup honey
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup fresh fruit, crushed
1 pint ginger ale
Method:

Make tea as per instructions on the tea bags. Allow it to cool. Mix all ingredients except ginger ale. Just before serving add ginger ale and crushed ice. If the punch is too strong for your taste you can dilute with ice water or more ginger ale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tea Punch

Ingredients:
1/2 pint Golden Green tea
6 oz. sugar
1/2 pint orange squash
4 tbsps. lemon juice
2 small bottles ginger ale
1 large bottle lemonade
1 orange, sliced
Method:

Put the hot tea in a bowl, add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the orange squash and lemon juice and strain. Chill. Just before serving mix in the ginger ale, lemonade and orange slices.
Sufficient for 12 people.

Indian Chai Tea
Ingredients:

3 teabags black tea

4 cups water

1 3 inch cinnamon stick

1 inch piece of ginger root cut into 4 slices

1/2 tsp (2 ml) cardamom seeds

1/2 tsp (2 ml) black peppercorns

1/2 tsp (2 ml) whole cloves

1 tsp (5 ml) whole coriander seeds

1 cup (225 ml) milk (I would substitute a nut milk)

honey or other sweetener to taste

Method:

Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Add spices, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Add teabags and steep 10 minutes. Add milk and heat to drinking temperature-do not boil. Strain mixture through a cheesecloth or cotton dish towel. Serve with honey or other sweetener to taste.

----------------------------------
Black Saffron Tea
Ingredients:

4 bags Golden Green tea

6 Green cardamons

4 tsp Sugar

1/2 tsp Saffron threads

4 cups Water

4 bags Golden Green Tea Black

Method:

Add the cardamon, sugar and saffron to the water and bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half. Bring to a boil again, add tea bags and steep for 8 minutes. Strain out tea and spices. Serve hot.  

Henbane
Vice Captain

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:14 pm
Tea Resourses, articles and stuff:

Cuisinenet.com Tea Info

TeaLand  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:14 am
Thank you, thank you for posting this!

Tea is awesome!

I'm currently enjoying a cold cup of Yerba Mate, a South American herbal tea.  

Astrox

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:21 am
Astrox
Thank you, thank you for posting this!

Tea is awesome!

I'm currently enjoying a cold cup of Yerba Mate, a South American herbal tea.

Cool! I will do more work on this when I can. Its my day off but since I couldn't get my arse out of bed I won't get much time today confused And tea sounds good, I might go have some.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:29 pm
a great alternative to honey is agave nectar
you can find it in most stores and its amazing

its really good in tea  

Vodka

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:12 pm
Vodka
a great alternative to honey is agave nectar
you can find it in most stores and its amazing

its really good in tea

I have never tried that. I think I will get some when I go to the store this week biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:50 pm
Agave is absolutely an awesome ingredient for many meals.  

Alias Kei

Dapper Explorer

6,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Cassandra022

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:55 pm
mmmm, I used to drink tea all the time. but then I became a coffee/caffeine adict like woah, so I usually drink coffee all day with the occasional bottle of lipton diet green tea or diet soda. Bad bad me.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:10 pm
I enjoy Green tea! But will drink almost any herbal tea.  

mimmcie

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:36 am
Cassandra022
mmmm, I used to drink tea all the time. but then I became a coffee/caffeine adict like woah, so I usually drink coffee all day with the occasional bottle of lipton diet green tea or diet soda. Bad bad me.

Lol, I need my caffeine too. I have been doing so much better at not overindulging myself in sodas and coffees and just sticking with lite teas. Only on days where I am too tired or grumpy I give in razz On my myspace I have the banner, I haven't had my coffee yet, Don't make me kill you!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:38 am
mimmcie
I enjoy Green tea! But will drink almost any herbal tea.

Green, black, and oolong are all great teas. I don't think I can pick a favorite.  

Henbane
Vice Captain

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:40 am
And who said yuck to tea! xd Hmph!!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:36 pm
I'm a regular tea drinker! But is it true that you can only get really good teas in Britain? neutral

I've just been settling for the stuff my health food store carries.  

Asphalt_Paradox

Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff