Mp3 to midi conversion?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Michael Noire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:33 pm
Hi, I'm jsut visiting,

but after a couple of statements and theories in the Gaia Battle Suggestion thread (BST in Feedback forums) it was concluded that the bard class would'nt be worth the time of creating unless real musical elements were added.

At first, this seemed impossible, - after all, getting a chibi character to actually sing or play an instrument is currently a technological impossibility.

However, along the way, I've come up with some interesting solutions.

Inspired by Ailsean
A while ago I managed to acquire a song by Ailsean, a Japanese Video game theme song editor. This person did a beautiful rendition of "Terra in Black", a song that was originally in MIDI format for the super nintendo.

When converted to actual instruments, it was, IMHO, radio worthy. This led me to believe that, with enough talent, the MIDI/WAVE dimension was a TWO way street, not just a one way.

Art Arena Medals Vs. Gold/Platinum Records
While studying the art arena's system, and the fishing game's system, it became apparent that REAL ART could be voted on, and prizes could be awarded based upon real talent. Wandering around Gaia led me to believe that it was an enormous reservoir for talented people, not only in the pciture/art anime field, but also in the area of music.

A while later, I stumbled upon Arwen's newspaper, and a link to a Gaia Radio. It was a brilliant peice of code, sort of an online mp3 playlist that you could actually "skip" songs on someone else's computer, while presumably, other people were listing to different tracks from the same source. biggrin

Then I went scanning around to various wealthy guilds (during the Noire 100 guild financial profiling), and and discovered some of them required you to supply samples of your work, as in - obviously, mp3s.

Putting it All Together
As you know, we have polls, in those polls, you vote for the subject you like the most, and it becomes a percentage. Meanwhile, scores are averaged for things like Fishing and art.
So...
If a bunch of Gaian Musicians, submit their own recorded mp3s,

and those mp3s are inserted in another Gaia Radio station, for "in house" work alone,

and you then apply the "Top 10 request" effects like polls; i.e., the more often a song is requested and ends up on the top, the more points it gets...

Then you can award musicians with Record versions of Trophies and Medals, with aproximately the same "resale" value, and the same "please don't your trophies, they are an honor" request from Admins xd

So, this basically puts YOU on the MAP...

About the Mp3/Midi Converter
It was concluded a while ago that for Gaia battle, at least until everyone on earth is broadband/fiber optics, the safest music transfer would be MIDI, since every computer is supposed to have built in MIDI, and MIDI files are really really small.

The idea for a "bard" type, asside from the Novelty of phonetics/Poetry (still working on that idea), is

chibi instruments permit the chibi characters to play MIDI versions of songs uploaded by the player into their "song list".

Each chibi instrument would have basic MIDI functions, and perhaps a "MIDI profile", for example, "Acoustic Bass" or "Violin". Thus the instrument you convert into midi matches the instrument you play.

More expensive Chibi instruments would "unlock" various MIDI features which allows more complex, in depth (higher kb file) sounds.
The only problem I experienced while testing this theory, was the fact that I totally SUCK at MIDI conversion.

It didn't matter if it was my own music, Clan of Xymox, Sopor Aeternus, or the Eagles - it all sounds like crap. Yet, I've heard some really good MIDI stuff.

If there is a recommended WAV/MP3 to MIDI converter, or some advice on the process, that would be apreciated.

Feedback on these ideas would also be appreciated - good or bad. 3nodding

P.S. if you like this idea, it seemed like a good idea to have various Gaia musicians and programmers work together to actually make a Gaia compatable MIDI converter. (we would use mp3s, except we have more people logged in at a time than Hitradio.com, Club977, Radio Paradise, and Smoothjazz.com combined.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:46 pm
Wave to midi is an impossibility, and I think I know where the missing link is:

Midi is not what you hear. It is information. Most often, it is sent to a synthesizer, telling it to do things such as to turn on a note for a certain duration or at a certain velocity. The synthesizer is what contains the sound samples you hear. Unfortunately, if you wish to take some music you have written (or someone elses,) you will have to find a midi sequencer and enter it in yourself.  

Saurencaerthai

Michael Noire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:23 am
Saurencaerthai

Midi is not what you hear. It is information. Most often, it is sent to a synthesizer, telling it to do things such as to turn on a note for a certain duration or at a certain velocity. The synthesizer is what contains the sound samples you hear. Unfortunately, if you wish to take some music you have written (or someone elses,) you will have to find a midi sequencer and enter it in yourself.

well, I agree about the data thing, but I do not believe in "impossible" things. the program sounded like crap, but that's only because i knew the originals. It was still make some level of success. 3nodding

perhaps there are some very talented recording artists amoung us that could figure it out?

if you begin with converting a wave to mp3, then the file compression already transforms to data, right?

then what you really want are the tones themselves.. if everything is broken into octaves, and those octaves in half and quarter notes etc., then can't we then create a sort of "jacobs ladder" for hertz?

you only need a 4400 hertz ladder right? like the human voice maxes at 3500 hz or so, and each diatonic tone or phi tone can be set to a digital "note".

The only real problem is filtering out the static "crap". Perhaps something like an amplitude filter exists? although science says amplitude and pitch are semi related.

Sorry, I'm not a music expert or anything, I jsut believe that it can be done.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:37 pm
Michael Noire
Saurencaerthai

well, I agree about the data thing, but I do not believe in "impossible" things. the program sounded like crap, but that's only because i knew the originals. It was still make some level of success. 3nodding

perhaps there are some very talented recording artists amoung us that could figure it out?

if you begin with converting a wave to mp3, then the file compression already transforms to data, right?

then what you really want are the tones themselves.. if everything is broken into octaves, and those octaves in half and quarter notes etc., then can't we then create a sort of "jacobs ladder" for hertz?

you only need a 4400 hertz ladder right? like the human voice maxes at 3500 hz or so, and each diatonic tone or phi tone can be set to a digital "note".

The only real problem is filtering out the static "crap". Perhaps something like an amplitude filter exists? although science says amplitude and pitch are semi related.

Sorry, I'm not a music expert or anything, I jsut believe that it can be done.

In order for it to work succesfully, you would have to have every tone unblended and distinct, which is quite a diffaculty, considdering a good deal of recordings, purposefully or not, blend the sounds. Granted, it might be possible, but is most likely more of a headache than it's worth. I'd personally say "better off entering it in yourself."  

Saurencaerthai

CRIMSONSHRAPNEL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:31 pm
What's so wrong with MP3?

I Track on a program and Render it as MP3, and it sounds fine  
The Music Artists Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items