Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
she really stuck her foot in good this time!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

am i nuts? or just masochistic?
  yes...
  duh!
  isn't that one of those 'dern mysteries?
View Results

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:57 pm
okay. so here's the deal. i belong to another guild, The Druid's Grove (i know, reagun, you can shoot me later, sweatdrop ) which is based on ADF practices, cosmology, etc.

after much thought brought on by reagun's vehement disapproval of any using that title, as well as a discussion with the Vice-Archdruid of ADF (that's his title in the group, and he's in agreement with you reagun), i questioned the validity of claiming such a title.

so i posted a thread, in that specific guild mentioned above, to see if i could find any justification for the use of the word 'druid'.

as it is, i'm going pretty well. but, i'm always fearful (perfectionist that i am) of running out of logic and proof to back up any of my arguments, especially to the point where i'd be committing the fallacy of argumentum ad nauseam, because sometimes the only thing you can do is repeat what you stated because it's not being addressed.

so, i was wondering if some of the other members here know of other sources that disprove/prove this specific argument. this would also extend to perhaps any information regarding some of the arguments some might get into else where (maybe as an info dump place?).

Nuri, i'm sorry if this thread really doesn't belong here. if it doesn't, please delete and i'll just get to make due.

*i'm fine to accept info that disproves my argument. this is not a call to arms to insult, bash, or cause havoc. i'm in search of other sources, etc.

*Edited for confused intention.

*after Desert Magic Festival, a gathering of ADFer's from many parts of the country, and a workshop the Archdruid's book, The Solitary Druid, Skip Ellison also questions validity of present day people to the title, and instead speaks of a 'path of Druidry' in the sense that we aspire to what the Druids were, represented, and their duties.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:19 pm
Boy, I sympathize with you on the name game. I guess all you can do is reference the many sources that state that the Druids didn't write anything down. I can't think of any good justification for using the name Druid (and I am a former member of the ADF). The frustration about this particular variation of the name game is that there aren't any real Druids around who can complain about the fraudulant claim. I guess it's just like calling oneself a Samurai. Clearly a bogus title but, one wouldn't get one's a**-kicked by a real Samurai if one chose to claim it!  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:03 am
phoenix shadowwolf
okay. so here's the deal. i belong to another guild, The Druid's Grove (i know, reagun, you can shoot me later, sweatdrop ) which is based on ADF practices, cosmology, etc.

No shooting required.
Like I've said before, ADF don't really bother me. I object to their butchering of the pronunciation of my Mother Tongue and their use of a term that really doesn't describe them but I do not eschew their world view or religious ideals. My argument with them (and OBOD and any of the other "Druid" lodges") is purely semantic.

Any chance of getting me an invite to the guild so that I may see the arguments. I am not so bullheaded that I would, if given evidence to counter my position, stick to my position pointlessly. There have been moments, due to profound experiences, where I have wavered on my position on this matter. However, I put these down to not having grounded properly after ritual/pathworking/journeying and the profound spiritual Presence of the people in question who lead the ritual/pathworking/journeying.  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:07 am
I went and read the discussion... I would post there, but I'm not a guild member and feel no real driving need to join as I'm not overly informed about Celtic Recon and the like other than light historical and cultural tidbits... So I'd rather shadow and learn instead of joining and participating just yet...

But...

What in nine hells is she going on about with Hellenism and Wicca?
Does she think they're the same thing or that Hellenics are/were Wiccan?
I cant figure out exactly what she is getting at.

And Paganus was the root word of Pagan. They dont have the same definition. If anything, it more closely followed as :

Paganus : Country dweller.
Pagan : Non-believer / heretic (a derogitive used by the church regarding non-christians)

Pagan : (as used today) One who follows a non judeo-christian/abrahmic or Muslim belief.

So Pagan still has its original definition... Its just been revised to be more specific (to refer to all who do not worship YHWH) and is no longer used as a derogitive. Paganus was the root word but not the same word.

Similar to how Wicce/Wicca (witche and witcha, not Wika) is the root word of witch, but not the same word.
The former refered to Saxon Seidh-konas. The latter refers to a practitioner of any form of witchcraft.

So... Her use of those two as examples arent really working and are actually... working against her... As they havent been "reconstructed" or "changed/altered".  

StrawberryGumiho

Montana Nixx

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:39 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:19 am

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:48 pm
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:29 am

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Montana Nixx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:18 am
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:49 am
Phoenixx _Rizing
The source was cited so have wikpedia correct it...

That would be an appeal to authority.
Do you have any idea how often I have changed the entry for Druid?
I have cited, referenced and cross referenced.
Funnily enough it keeps getting changed back.

Phoenixx _Rizing
I grew up Here In America & Speak Finnish & Swedish like a Native since I was about Oh four..

What qualifications on Druidry does that give you? What with swedish and flemish being non-celtic languages.

Phoenixx _Rizing
WHoopie twang, I typed In DRUID, thats what came Up I can see your Obviously one of those Holier than thou types Not a good place for me..

That would be what is called "Ad hominem".
In short, you can't attack my arguments so you attack me instead.
Very very poor form.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers