Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Ayurvedic Recipes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How much does spirituality affect what and how you eat?
  Everything I eat is strictly connected with my spirituality.
  I follow some rules but its not as strict.
  I don't follow anything. I eat what I feel like eating.
  Other. Pollwhoreish Option-Like Thing
View Results

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:31 pm
I have several books on Ayurvedic recipes. I will post as many things I can but if anyone has any recipes to share feel free to post them. Indian Food ROX! xd

Ok, my first day in the guild and here is my first topic. One thing that comes to mind is Indian cuisine. There are tons of vegetarian dishes to try. A lot of the food has to do with spirituality. Healing the body, mind, and spirit. That is where Ayurveda comes in. I have been reading on Ayurveda for a while now and I still have much to learn. Feel free to add information and discuss anything you wish about the topic. Don't forget to ask questions and share recipes!

What is Ayurveda? It is a system of healing rooted in ancient India. The word Ayuh means life and veda means knowledge. The six philosophies of life, the Shad Darshan. The Shad Darshan was developed over 10,000 years ago by ancient sages and scriptures.
The six philosophies include Sankhya, Nyaya, Vaisheshika, Mimamsa, Yoga, and Vedanta.

In Ayurveda there are three doshas VATA (represents air and space), PITTA (represents fire and water), Kapha ( represents water and earth). Each person has a combination of these three doshas. The doshas in a person are determined by diet and lifestyle along with their genetics. The more balanced your 3 doshas are the more you are in good health. Each person has a predominate dosha or 2 equal doshas. For me, I am a Pitta Kapha. Prakruti is the combination of the 3 doshas that you are born with. You cannot change them. Vikruti is the constitution of your health at the present time. If you are in really good health your Prakruti and Vikruti will be the same. (Yeah I know, CONFUSING!) The food you eat has its own dosha attributes. So if your Vikruti is not the same say you are a Pitta Kapha and you need more kapha you eat a food that is considered kapha.

The way I see it is the point of Ayurveda is to keep your mind, body and spirit healthy with doing the least harm to the living around you.

here are a few links:Why Vegetarian Recipes-According to the Ayurveda

Healthy Ayurveda Eating

Vegetarianism, Ayurveda and health

A quote at the end of the Why vegetarian page sounds pretty cool,
Petter Merchand:
Quote:
Spiritually minded people that find cooking only vegetarian recipes a difficult task, should consider how difficult it really is to live a spiritual life on non-vegetarian recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:47 pm
I didn't really agree with what they had to say about milk.

But I'm definately trying out the recipes.

I'm also going to try to cook my next meal without tasting it untill it is served, not so much as a respect to the gods, but to mother earth.  

Astrox

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:14 pm
Milk and Ayurveda
"Milk is natures perfect food."
Milk is supposed to be important in Ayurveda. Im glad I don't follow the diet because I don't really like boiled or cold milk. Actually I don't really drink milk at all. I use soymilk mostly just because I like the taste over real milk. I occasionally use almond milk for cooking.

Recipe for nut milk
from The Healthy Kitchen by Andrew Weil:

Grind raw nuts, cashews and almonds, to a fine powder in a blender or food processor, then add water and blend at a high speed for 2 minutes. The ratio of water to nuts determines the richness of the end result. You can make it as heavy as a cream or as light as skim milk. You can strain it through a fine sieve, pressing as much liquid as possible from the residue, and throwing away the residue.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:25 pm
I have followed Ayurveda for a long time. It's a wonderful thing! I'm Vata and Pitta. I even use Ayurvedic toothpaste. It tastes like clay.. but it feels good. mrgreen

I've always loved India.. so, for many years I studied everything I could find about it. I've learned so much, and I still want to visit the country someday. My family doctor is from India! heart He's a wonderful person. When my mum switched to a veg diet.. he was so proud of her. mrgreen

I just adore many indian food dishes. I do not however consume dairy products. That is because I live in America, where cows are not properly taken care of. Provided I lived in India... I would probably consume them. I'm not sure. I'd have to be in that predicament to know for sure.

One of my favourite drinks is Chai!! I drink it often. I do not drink Coffee.. Chai is my Coffee. Although, my Chai is always decaf.. and Soy or Nut Milk is used in place of Animal Milk. mrgreen

I'm pleased that you're interested in Ayurveda. AHIMSA.
Good for you. heart

OM SHANTI my friend.  

DionaLadeja

anarchyneko

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:11 pm
Ayurveda...i kno i have heard of it some where else before, maybe in my past life i think. i dont know, it sounds really interesting and i think i might look into it a bit more.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:07 pm
DionaLadeja
I have followed Ayurveda for a long time. It's a wonderful thing! I'm Vata and Pitta. I even use Ayurvedic toothpaste. It tastes like clay.. but it feels good. mrgreen

I've always loved India.. so, for many years I studied everything I could find about it. I've learned so much, and I still want to visit the country someday. My family doctor is from India! heart He's a wonderful person. When my mum switched to a veg diet.. he was so proud of her. mrgreen

I just adore many indian food dishes. I do not however consume dairy products. That is because I live in America, where cows are not properly taken care of. Provided I lived in India... I would probably consume them. I'm not sure. I'd have to be in that predicament to know for sure.

One of my favourite drinks is Chai!! I drink it often. I do not drink Coffee.. Chai is my Coffee. Although, my Chai is always decaf.. and Soy or Nut Milk is used in place of Animal Milk. mrgreen

I'm pleased that you're interested in Ayurveda. AHIMSA.
Good for you. heart

OM SHANTI my friend.

Thats awesome.
You've inspired me to make some stovetop chai tea.  

Astrox

Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff