Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Has anyone Read Robin Hobb??? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wicked Elaine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:58 pm
I read the Farseer Trilogy with my dad and I automatically fell inlove with it. I didn't really know when I got the first book for the Tawny man trilogy that it was related to the farseer trilogy and liveship I almost had a heartattack finding out it never even ended at farseer. My heart filled with joy and I am now on the Golden Fool. I will go back to the liveship trilogy after I'm done with this one. 4laugh I cried so pathetically after reading the farseer trilogy..and now everyone is telling me they cried during the tawny man..I must prepare myself!! sweatdrop

I found a song that fit the fool's and Fitz relationship perfectly.
You all should really listen to it.

It's called Shamandalie-Sonata Artica

You can very well read the lyrics here as well.

Shamandalie Lyrics smile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:23 am
So, I'm re-reading the Liveship Traders trilogy right now. I have to say, all the characters piss me off. I probably said that the first time through, but I have to repeat it, 'cause they just annoy me that much. I think I started liking most of them in the third book, but I'm still on the second right now, and they just drive me nuts. I like the world-building, though, and the idea of the liveships is a really good one.  

NightIntent
Captain

Durigen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:42 am
Robin Hobb is indeed awesome. I've read the six Fitz books (Farseer trilogy and Tawny Man trilogy). I'm waiting for her to finish the Soldier Son trilogy before I start that one. I think she's working on the third book right now. I'd go ahead and read the first 2, but I hate waiting for the 3rd book in a trilogy to come out.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:01 pm
I've never read the farseer trilogy, but I have read the assassins trilogy years ago. And I enjoyed it. Now the fun thing is that its been long enough time I can now go back and reread it as if it is new  

CastleAlyts

Bun-Chan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:33 am
Robin Hobb is awesome!!!
The Farseer trilogy Mad Ship Series, and The Tawny Man Series, respectively all connect. You don't have to read them all in a row but it works out better that way. >.< There is a character that shows up in all three series. She did an awesome job at making the stories weave together. But I must admit that I did not care for molly! ><
My fav is the fool and fitz. *Just not as a couple!* Paragon in Mad ship is awesome too!! Anyways I think I said enough. xp Take care!!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:55 pm
I own both trilogies, actually. I love them.

I am about to reread them, yet again, actually.

I just love how the charectors grow and change. Most authors can't acheive it to the level that Robin Hobb does.  

Super Sexy Goldfish

Evinta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:20 pm
I have read shamans crossing and the next one in that series. im waiting for the third to come out biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:45 pm
I read Assassin's Apprentice, and I definitely enjoyed it, but I have to say that i think her Liveship Traders trilogy is utterly FANTASTIC!  

MinervaEvenstar

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:05 pm
Oh Lord, I could ramble on for DAYS about this woman. She's just such an amazing author, its just, she just, it so, well GAH!

I'm typing so amazingly fast to get all this said before my youth club meeting that it hurts!

I really love the two Fitz trilogies, and Liveships as well, though I'll be forever killing myself for never getting a chance to figure out who Amber was.

Actually, I started hating myself for it in the middle of Golden Fool. When Jek came and called the Fool Amber I was like "I bet Amber's in Liveships", 'cause I'd read the back of one of the Liveships books, and knew it was set south of the Six Duchies. So I immediately raced to the bookshop to check (being too distraught at my own stupidity to think of checking the interweb!) and started beating myself over the head with Mad Ship when I found the word Amber on the back of it.

The ending made me cry so much. It was just so perfect, but there were a few loose ends still, which annoyed me. But what annoyed me most was: If Fitz cared so much for the Fool was willing to give up his own life to save the Fool's, why was he perfectly content to just let the Fool leave, believing Fitz dead? Wouldn't he remember the torture the Fool went through the last time Fitz died? It just... doesn't make sense to me. And it leaves the door open for (yet another) sequel! ^_^ I don't see that happening though, sadly.

I adored the part in Liveships where Amber carved the Paragon. It made me smile to see him taking shape like that. 'Twould have been more fun had I not already been aware of just who it was she was carving though...

Tawny Man is probably my favourite of the three. I don't know why... It's kinda like Rocky Balboa compared to the rest of the movies. Y'know, an old man pottering around, trying to get back to his former, erm, whatever. 'Cept that I hated Rocky Balboa. Actually, I hated all the Rocky movies, but that beside that point. I just love it, 'specially all the Fools personas finally coming together.

My brothers reading Assassin's Quest at the moment, and he hates me, 'cause I just can't stop talking about it - having nobody else to rant to, nobody else having read the books - and I keep going on about stuff that he hasn't read yet, and basically he now thinks I should die. Which is scary. He's only thirteen and hes taller than me! I can still beat him in a fight though. I really need to stop going off on tangents like that...

As for the Soldier's Son trilogy, I've read the first two books, and liked them, though not as much as the rest of her books. I'm still waiting for the last book to come out in regular paperback before I buy it... I hate trade paperbacks! No joke though, I wouldn't worry about that if she wrote another Fitz book!

Oh, somebody mentioned a song that fits the relationship between Fitz and the Fool perfectly; I have another one - Leave Right Now by Will Young. I hated that song until it was on one day when I was still thinking about the books constantly in the aftermath of reading them for the first time.

And has anybody ever heard White Fool by Clannad? I don't like it especially, but I found this one day and the title made me listen to it. The chorus goes: "White fool, come to a new land/There's a dark moon on the sand/Then nothing was ever the same again/This land is in their hands/A thousand, years of tribe-land/Strong winds carry the pulse/Greed and lust, it stripped the earth bare/When the white fool came to a new land". There's also something like "The wheels of time keep on turning/It can't be helped" I think. That bits in Irish, so I could be wrong. Anyway, with a bit of twisting here and there, this fits perfectly with the Fools story. Weird, huh? It was released about six or seven years before the first Farseer book... I think the White Fool is actually supposed to be a symbol of the corruption of this land, the catalyst that caused it, if you will. But it could be taken to mean that he came to save this place from its destruction ^.^

Wow, this is a long post. I'm gonna stop now...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 am
I don't think I posted about this, but when I read the Soldier Son trilogy, I was so traumatized by the description of how the main character became fat and how he was treated that I literally lost like ten pounds after reading it. It wasn't really a conscious thing, entirely. I mean, I was really freaked out because of the other characters' reactions and reading all of it in first person because I have some appearance issues to start with, but I didn't all of a sudden start exercising more and eating nothing. It was just in hindsight, I realized that right after I'd finished the series, I started losing weight. rofl So next time I need to lose a few pounds, I guess I know what I'm doing.

I also read the Dragon keeper series, and I was quite surprised that it was a quartet rather than a trilogy--deviation! The ending of the second book seemed like it was pretty complete, honestly. They reached their destination. Not that I was disappointed, mind you. I like the series and wanted to see how the dragons and the kids settled in after they finally reached the city. I'm waiting for the third one to come out in paperback still. And I think the fourth is scheduled to come out sometime soon-ish? Within the next few months, I suppose.  

NightIntent
Captain

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:48 pm
I recently finished the third book in Hobb's dragon series. It was pretty awesome. I love how she can actually make her characters change and mature in a realistic way. (Most of the time.) She even manages to have the dragons' personalities change (a little) and it's pretty awesome. I always forget just how much I like her books until I read another one. I got it o na Wednesday and by the time Thursday rolled around, I was done. I wish the next one was out in paperback now....  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff