Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ----::::The FISH Tank::::----
Do you know what new tank syndrome is?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you just stick the fish right in there, or did you cycle the tank first?
  I read up first and learnt all about cycling the aquarium before adding fish - none of them died and my tank is nice n healthy!
  I just stuck my fish straight in there and can't understand why they're all dying? Help!
View Results

Amidala02

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:20 pm
Many people think that they just need to add water and fish and ta da! A happy little aquarium is born.

Unfortunately, not cycling the aquarium could lead to a nasty build up of very toxic ammonia and nitrites, which will then 'mysteriously' kill your fish.

If you want further information, please check out the violet goby thread for a couple of helpful links.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:06 pm
So do you have a questing about the Nitrate cycle or is this thread just a ad?  

MR_Kodiac

BlacksheepKitty

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:39 pm
Amidala02
Many people think that they just need to add water and fish and ta da! A happy little aquarium is born.

Unfortunately, not cycling the aquarium could lead to a nasty build up of very toxic ammonia and nitrites, which will then 'mysteriously' kill your fish.

If you want further information, please check out the violet goby thread for a couple of helpful links.

3nodding agreed
I worked very hard to cycle my tank and finally i think it's happening. the nitrites are at 0 ...so far, so good.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:09 pm
Well another thing to think about is when you get a new tank do not put a fish in the same day you put new water and/or you got a new tank all together. when you get a new tank and you have all the necesity's ( air pump, plants, thomometer...ect. ) leave the tank fishless for about two days. Because haveing tank too clean is actully bad for your fish. I also keep some of the old water when i change the water just so it's not too clean.
THE REASON
Because if you let it sit and kinda get going a little more and keeping some of the water gives the tank time to build up certain nutrients in the water that the fish need. ( usually for eating ) So the tank being too clean can be bad.

Well I hope this helps you out!  

xLandSharkx

Pisty

Big Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:03 am
I had to put my fish in without fishless cycling because they were a 'surprise present' from my daughters grandparents and the two of them were stuck in a one gallon bowl. x_x

Cycling works best when there are fish, though, because it's natural, as opposed to adding ammonia and it being quite an unnatural ratio most of the time...it's hard to get the quantities right for the cycle to work itself out.

All the other tanks I've had were cycled though. And tanks of the future will be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:08 am
Metalbob16
Well another thing to think about is when you get a new tank do not put a fish in the same day you put new water and/or you got a new tank all together. when you get a new tank and you have all the necesity's ( air pump, plants, thomometer...ect. ) leave the tank fishless for about two days. Because haveing tank too clean is actully bad for your fish. I also keep some of the old water when i change the water just so it's not too clean.
THE REASON
Because if you let it sit and kinda get going a little more and keeping some of the water gives the tank time to build up certain nutrients in the water that the fish need. ( usually for eating ) So the tank being too clean can be bad.
Well I hope this helps you out!
You're supposed to leave water for a day or so to get rid of chlorine and chloramine in the tap water. They put that in tap water to make it safe for humans to drink, but it's lethal for fish.

And you should have most of your old tank water left in your tank when you do a water change...you should only change what you need to change...the minimum you can get away with. You need to take out enough to get rid of nitrates that can build up and become dangerous, but taking out more than half makes your cycle mess up and that's never a good thing. x_x

Clean isn't bad, but clean for humans is bad.

The only thing fish eat from the water is algae. =]

Pisty

Big Member

55G FreshWater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:46 pm
I know what it is and all that.  
----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items