Yes!
  I love those books!
  Never heard of her.
  Gold!
View Results

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:36 pm
I like this author. As far as I know, she's only written three books: Owl in Love, Goose Chase, and The Woman in the Wall. I like all three, but Owl in Love is my least favorite of them. Goose Chase is my favorite, probably, followed very closely by The Woman in the Wall. The Woman in the Wall appealed to me mainly because I'm really shy, but Anna, the main character, makes my shyness look like nothing. There is a reason why the book has that title. Owl in Love is fairly good, but not as interesting as the other two. Goose Chase is pure fairy tale hilarity. I love the prince. Alexandria is an extremely entertaining, ingenuous narrator. Patrice Kindl's books are all in first person, which may be why I like her so much; I'm rather fond of first person narration, it catches my interest more. Has anyone else read her books, or even heard of her?

Edit: Turns out she has another book out, which means another one for me to buy. Lost in the Labyrinth. It sounds very interesting.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:15 pm
I have two of those four, the Goose Chase one, and the Woman in the Wall one. I hadn't even heard of the other two till now. I must go check them out.

Although, what struck me most was the huge difference of story-type between the two books I've read. It was nice to see that both were good, but still very different. Very interesting.  

tecche

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:32 pm
Yeah, I like how different her stories are. Completely different characters, different plots, everything.

Owl in Love was the first book by Patrice Kindl I read. That's how I found out about her other books. Otherwise, I'd never have even heard of her.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:53 pm
So these are fairy tale books? Do they have a particularly neat twist or something (he asked hopefully)?  

Harbone

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:06 pm
One is a fairy tale; the others are modern fantasy. Goose Chase is the fairy tale. It's sort of like the story about the twelve brothers turned into ravens or swans or whichever, but different. The main character didn't have to stay silent and weaving shirts out of rushes or grass for twelve years. I really like that on, it's one of my favorite fairy tale re-tellings. Owl in Love I explained in the fairy tale thread (ah, the off-topicness. n.n"). The Woman in the Wall is about this girl who is extremely shy. On top of this, people can't really see her all the time, for some reason. At the age of seven, her mom tries to force her to go to school, but she doesn't want to. Instead, she makes the walls into her home. Thus, the title The Woman in the Wall. Such a neat book.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:34 pm
Sounds interesting. I tried to find a copy at the library, but I may have to request it. Been around for a while?  

Harbone

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:38 pm
Should be. Owl in Love I got quite a few years ago, Goose Chase at least two, and The Woman in the Wall a few months before that, if I remember correctly. Which I may not, my memory sucks. Especially for time periods. But I haven't gotten any of them particularly recently.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:15 am
Well, I'll concentrate on Owl in Love, then. I'm having rotten luck, tho.

Thanks for the suggestion!  

Harbone

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:59 pm
Not a problem. Always happy to recommend books to people. n.n  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:50 pm
I never heard of her so I will have to check it out.  

Lady_Altheia

Sileny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:25 am
I read Owl in Love when I was a kid, but it was The Woman in the Wall I loved best. And it doesn't take long to read eithr! Whenver I'm looking for a book to spend a couple of hours with, I pick that up. It's great.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:44 am
Sileny
I read Owl in Love when I was a kid, but it was The Woman in the Wall I loved best. And it doesn't take long to read eithr! Whenver I'm looking for a book to spend a couple of hours with, I pick that up. It's great.

Isn't it, though? That's such a great book. All that story put into a little more than a hundred pages. And it's one of the best books I've read, in my opinion. It's so good. n.n  

NightIntent
Captain

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces