Welcome to Gaia! ::

Make a Guide

Back to Guilds

Guide Making support guild 

Tags: Resource, Guide, Color, Reference 

Reply Guide Building, Tips, and Help
What would help you with making/maintaining your guide?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:17 pm
There are many kinds of guides and many kinds of guide makers but this guild is here as a way to support and collaborate on all of them!

With that said there is a somewhat obvious focus on colors here because color is what I, ladykayra, work with the most. I'd like to expand how we help but it will take effort from the guild as a whole both to explain what help is needed and to give that help.

Original Thoughts

So what is it we can do to make guide making easier for you?

Rolling with some thoughts of my own:
Would having a thread where people can just freely post their discoveries, formatting, specific guide, more than a few words be damned?
Would having a thread that acts as a weekly or monthly summary help? New items, new schemes, new references, all put together by the guild community.
Would a list of all the project custom threads with info on user schemes help?
Would it help to list ideas for new guides or guides which could be picked up because the originals aren't being updated help?
Would creating a set of post formats which could quickly be used to put together a thread help?

Guild specific:
Are people just nervous about posting?
Do the opening topics or guild front page need to be reworded?

Based on some of the current feedback

Ideas for Guild -
Turn Getting Started/Helping Hands into a more general help area I.e. have post layouts, tips, general requests such as asking others to help compile lists, or request to help while on hiatus
Redo failed Monthly Item Type into a general chat section

In general chat have the guild mule post a monthly discussion thread saving the first two posts. Thread is so people can post interesting and guide like info as new items come out
At end of month mule updates the first two posts with some of the info in different categories
Category ideas:
New items
New item sets *
New colors
New schemes
New reference items
New canon ref items
New unisex or masculine items
New arm/leg/body mods
New user items
New kin/pet items
List of update types **
List of NPC appearances
Maybe some kind of pricing breakdown?

* It sets like in the monthly CI or hair/accessory RIGs, etc
** Update types can include things like narwhal, monthly CI, tiers, site wide events, etc

Potentially send out a Monthly announcement? Like a guild newsletter? Could have links to the monthly discussion, thank you for active members, links to new guides, and maybe a little spot for “advertisements” by active members

Maybe have guild sponsored bounty contests? Pay members to go search for specific types of items to help make guides or to do work within the guild (like vetting reference project things)

To Do:
Create list of guide ideas
Also go through Guides and Resources and see which guides haven’t been updated since 2017 and haven’t been re-picked up

Guild Management -
Tap someone or someones else to help actively run guild
Re-vet permissions for people on crew  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:28 pm
      The guild can be kind of color-focused, but that's not a bad thing-- all of the color resources are still super helpful! Or, at least, it being color-focused certainly doesn't discourage me from posting. I'm just not super chatty in general. xp

(Semi-related side note: I used the daily color listings to rebuild the missing portions of the bare arms guide. So, you know, I'm stupidly grateful they're here-- it made my life so much easier.)

Announcements could be a big help. Not too many, because they get annoying and you run the risk of them being ignored (like Gaia's!)... but something to remind members that the guild is still active. Goodness knows I forget they're around sometimes.

Bouncing off your ideas:

Maybe a combination of your "freely post their discoveries" and "set of post formats" would work? It could be a hub of sorts. A place to post advice for newer guidemakers or share with existing ones-- because let's face it, it can be lonely and challenging at times-- and a place to just chat or complain or celebrate the various aspects of creating/running a guide. Or, you know, encourage one another. Ask for help with updates if you know you'll be on hiatus or something. General purpose, sure, but it might open the conversational channel.

Instead of having separate monthly summaries, maybe feed them into the color ones for each month that you already have going? Like, just reserve the first post for a summary at the end of the month as an abstract or quick reference... then start posting new items. It saves the forums from getting too cluttered.

A list of ideas for new guides would be fabulous, especially for guides that aren't color-specific. (Color schemes, too, of course.) Like, I've had a few requests for an updated headmod/object head list lately. And I've seen one or two for an updated background cutter list. Having a place to find out what's been requested, what's already been done but abandoned for whatever reason (and just needs updating), etc., could be handy.

Dunno. Just thoughts.

ElegantlyLuminous

Generous Fairy

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:46 am
Alright so I collected some thoughts last night and this morning but sadly don't have the time to type them all up. Find them below:

I'd love to hear additional thoughts!

I want the guild to be useful as much as possible (but I also want people to participate if they can).

*wiggles*  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:46 am
it would help a lot if re-building my bare legs guide wasn't so....daunting
like i gotta re-organize it and it's not as easy as copy-paste  

zahhax
Vice Captain

Ace Garbage

Zeetheus

Crew

Luminous Connoisseur

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:15 pm
Oof, I forget about this guild all the time! Gaia has neglected Guilds for so long... perhaps I should enable some guild notifs (if it's possible?)

Thanks for the promotion to Crew! I don't remember any of the permissions but I will do my best to not break anything.

I currently have my own projects, but I hope it's ok for me to post my list here?

I still have work to do in my purple thread but after actually chugging away at it for a few months I realized pretty fast that I didn't really need my cataloguing thread, so I might delete it at some point down the line (or recycle it? Can you delete threads? It's been too long, I don't remember.)

I think I mentioned in one of my reserve posts that I am not doing pure/unschemed Lavender. There are way too many items. I don't know if anyone was here during the lavendapocalypse of... 2013 maybe? A bit before goldemort I think. It was the only purple Gaia knew, and I hated every release.

I don't know if anyone has the willpower to go through with cataloguing the ~2000 old/unschemed lavenders but I don't recommend it, and I probably won't be able to assist. I also don't think I'd have room in my thread for all of it, but it's... an option, if anyone wants to cover Lavender.

As for my scheme to-do list, it's not terribly difficult for me to do them on my own, so you don't really need to offer. I'd actually be more interested in opinions, such as whether or not to include the rainbow/opalescent schemes. I know angie includes them in the Blue list but I don't know if I want to do the same.

Once I do handle the schemes on my to-do list, the poll hath spoken that I should gather as many gold shop items/sets as I can, so that'll be the next project. If anyone wants to gather purple gold shop sets in the meantime, that would be appreciated, but it's not required! Assistance credit will be given in the thread though. (I suppose you could use the cataloguing purple thread to post em in? I don't mind.)

And Once That's Done, I'd really like to help with the Hex Guide Thread. One thing that I would personally change (but I realize that's a lot of text replacement) is changing ■ to a larger alt character. I use █ in the guide comp thread, it's got plenty of surface area and I don't need to zoom in to get a good view of the color.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:25 pm
Although I tend to procrastinate on my food guide (because I keep starting side projects), I love helping and providing assistance to other guides!

I really like to code/organize if needed, I'd just need to know what the post format is to do it.

Here's my list of current side projects that I'll let anyone do what they'd like with them (make a guide, use it for an existing guide, etc):

Overall, I like the ideas listed and I'll make an effort to help out where I can

foodie

Hungry Snacker

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:09 pm
Zeetheus

I think the only notifications are if someone quotes you or the guild makes an announcement. It's quite unfortunate but also explains why people think guilds aren't as useful
Crew can edit posts. You have a huge guide just like angie so I figured being able to edit things if you know a scheme or color better would be good. I've sort of, kind of, left most blues and purples to you guys except when I forget and throw them in unguided

Of course it's okay! This is a thread for figuring out what everyone wants to needs.
For the catolog you can delete it or throw it in the recycle section of the guild. Up to you. Crew should also give you access to that section
Have you run across Obi Aoi's lavender and lilac thread before? I don't think it has everything but it does have a lot. At the least could just grab that and tell people if they find something else to post it?

I think you'd be fine to leave out rainbow and opalescent. The purple guide is pretty big already
Have you grabbed all the random purples from nimty's old thread for the goldshop stuff? At least I think some things were in there

That last point I'll be getting to in a post in that thread for you

MoodieFoodie

Oofs, I see you found my old tier site there along with the original thread. Seems like they're doing only user tiers now, let me know if you want me to gather up those last 3 months for you.

If you ever get bored and want to help out with one of my long standing org projects, the orange items from this post and the one after it need to be split up into schemes. Autumn, black + orange, pumpkin spice, ect

I can also try to remember to point out food items in the monthly review if that would help your food catalog?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:22 pm
ladykayra
Have you grabbed all the random purples from nimty's old thread for the goldshop stuff? At least I think some things were in there
Not yet, it is on my to-do list after I finish the rest of the Schemed Purples on page 5. Gotta get the big rocks in before the sand, is my approach right now.

Though I actually know most of the purple items up until around 2011 or 2012, because at one point I owned almost all of the non-goldshop purple items. There really, genuinely weren't that many non-lavender purples back then.

Frankly for the goldshop items I would probably go through each of the gold shops manually, and then use Nimty's to grab the non-goldshop items that I might have missed. I'll probably do my best to grab Sunlit Lavender at least, since Despair uses it.  

Zeetheus

Crew

Luminous Connoisseur

foodie

Hungry Snacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 pm
ladykayra
If you could help me with the last 3 months, that would be great! I've been swamped at work prepping for summer programs and doing inventorying (lol, inventory and cataloging IRL too!)

I'll see if I can help out here and there with your project. And having the food items pointed out would be helpful, if you remember because I'm fine otherwise. I've just been busy sweatdrop

Guide Building, Tips, and Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games