[PRP] Card Tricks [Apibom + Durand]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:54 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Poker face is an acquired skill

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:58 am

Api had been bored. Terribly bored. And that was not something they could deal with. Boredom lead to stillness... and stillness lead to too many thoughts about the future. In desperation, they'd looked for something new to pick up and... well... they'd stumbled upon card games. It had seemed pretty interesting, considering the variety there was. Perhaps it was worth a shot - it seemed like some games required a lot of focus, which was also a bonus!

So, Api found themself at a gathering of card players, totally unsure of what to do. They'd looked up the basic rules to the particular game being played that night, but had neglected to see if anyone they knew wanted to play with them. What a predicament...

Peppermint Coffee
lemme know if i need to change anything! i figure maybe for the actual cards we can both roll a d20, whoever rolls the higher score gets the point? same numbers can just count as no one getting a point that turn. max 10 points til someone wins?

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:32 am
Where Api had to learn the rules, Durand knew them by heart. He was set up at his table at his hive and grinned at the trolls across from him, the dealer.

"The game is poker, my fellow trolls," they yellowblood said casually, shuffling the cards with skill. He wasn't even looking down at his hands as he made sure that the cards would truly be randomized. "I'm Durand, I'll be the dealer. Once you have nothing to offer, get out. I've got no time for you. If you don't like me, leave." He winked a little and started to deal the cards, including himself.

"Now, let's take a little time to ask questions. First round could be learning."

nepsah
(It's fine! I like the start.)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:05 am

Api found themself drawn over to a table with a few other trolls. At the head sat another Yellowblood. His... introduction seemed pretty blunt, but maybe that was normal for this type of thing? Around them, trolls were getting out beetles to place on the table in front of them. To start it seemed like just two, but still! Actual beetles? Api slowly placed two beetles from their beetlepurse on the table and watched as Durand dealt the cards.

They raised their hand, figuring they might as well ask the first question. Thankfully it seemed that other trolls at the same table looked inexperienced as well, so they weren't too nervous about doing it. "I've never played this game before, is there a pamphlet on what all the cards mean?" They figured that might be easier than asking the dealer to explain every winning pair possible...

Peppermint Coffee

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:32 am
When the other yellowblood seemed to ante up, Durand smirked to himself and then looked down at his hand when all the cards were dealt. With quick, practiced movements, he put the cards in some kind of order only known to him and then glanced up at the sudden question about meanings to the cards.

"Okay, good question. First round, no bets guys. We gotta teach someone." It wasn't said with malice or anything, and Durand leaned across the table to push the other's cards down on the table so he could see what they were.

"Do you know what a royal flush is? A straight? Full house, flush? Four and three of a kind is pretty self explanatory. You have that many of the same card. Can be any card. A straight, my friend, is pretty easy to understand. Five cards in numerical order, all in the same suit. The best possible flush to have is a royal flush, starting with an ace, then going king, queen, jack, and ten of all the same suit." He looked at the other's face to see if they understood what he was talking about. "A full house is any three cards of the same number, or face value, meaning kings and queens, plus any two cards of the same number or face value. An example is... three tens, and two twos. That's a full house."

He paused again, grinning like he was being helpful. "Got it?"

nepsah

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Api was... relieved that no one seemed to mind they had no idea what they were doing. They shook their head to each question Durand asked- they had no idea what any of those meant. The explanation seemed pretty quick- but... not difficult to follow. They looked over the exposed cards on the table as Durand spoke, nodding along. "Oh, okay. I think I got it. Thanks for the explanation." They smiled back at the Yellowblood. "I think I can manage playing." Thankfully they had a pretty good memory, or they would've been scrambling to write all of that down !

Peppermint Coffee

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

Alternia RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas