Reply ashdown
[PRP] toy robots [ erin & chester ]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:51 pm
"Oi, Erin, I'm gunna go out! You got the store!" Erin looked up from her desk, an expression of mild panic on her face, as her boss grinned and walked out the door. That.... kretin! He knew how busy she was! They were in the beginnings of the mid year rush. She was four computers deep into a queue of fifteen with two rework machines because Will screwed up.

"Ehhh?! Brent!? BRENT...." yelled after him, head dropping in a sigh. Oh it was no use, she couldn't get the man to do anything even if she tried. Erin let out a breath and sank back onto her stool, staring at the virus filled unit in front of her. She pressed a hand against it, as the laptop began to overheat, and coaxed it back to a reasonable temperature.

It was going to be a long day...

xSmerdle
let me know if i need to change anything!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:40 am
Chester had dreamed of Commodore 64s last night.

Granted, he had never actually interacted with one, but he had seen pictures, and he was sure that they were very close to what he was looking for. He needed keys, big clacky ones, not the shorter, flatter versions he found on his current keyboard. What better place to get them than in a computer repair shop?

He crept inside, not wanting to draw attention to himself even if he was the only one here, but it didn't take long for him to approach the counter after he'd walked in. It was hard to creep when you were a gargantuan nerd.

"Hello. Good afternoon. You don't happen to have any old keyboards that I could buy off of you? Like, old old. From the 90s, maybe?"

a-disgruntled-dragon
nope! it's perfect <3

Smerdle

Scamp

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:21 pm
She noticed him come in, but he kept to himself for the time being so Erin let him be, focusing on setting up another unit in a rack for virus removal.

Erin frowned at him once he reached her counter, tapping a finger to her chin in thought. Huh, she never got that specific request before. People did routinely recycle their old computers with them, getting a small tax deduction for giving them away. The shop usually dismantled them for usable parts for older builds - something Brent did when he was in the shop - but the peripherals usually weren't usable. Or no one was ever going to need one of those old keyboards with the round plugs, and not usbs.

"... Huh. You know... let me check? We keep some very... old parts in the back for the rare occasion we need them, and we might have a keyboard or two. Provided Will hasn't butchered them for keys..." She told him with a sort of half nod and look of curiosity. Erin gave one look at her current units and ducked behind the wall behind her to the supply closet to look.

The supply closet was chaos. She poked her head around the wall, dreading the chaos she was walking into.

"You looking for the ones with the round plugs, right? Not usb keyboards," she asked, wanting to confirm what she was looking for before she dove into it.

Smerdle

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:43 am
He hadn't thought about much beyond the keyboard's keys, but now that he had been reminded that serial plugs existed, Chester was even more curious about what a minute alone with one might bring.

"Yes, that will do." He touched his generic old USB keyboard every day and it never suggested it wanted to be anything else. He could only assume all the others would be the same. While she was in the back, Chester dug out the very project he was working on today: a Barbie-sized figure made of a couple of whisks, a stapler, two wheels from a toy truck, a pair of scissors, and a jump scare ghost abandoned after Halloween. Despite its mixed origins, its limbs were clearly delineated, which made it easy to see it was missing its head.

a-disgruntled-dragon

Smerdle

Scamp

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:55 pm
It took her a good fifteen minutes and some very loud curse words and a crash of sound, but she exited the room holding not one or two, but four old keyboards. They all seemed to be missing at least a few keys, but thankfully not all the same keys. She placed them down on the counter with a soft clank of plastic.

"Here ya go. They run five--- that is adorable, oh my god, how did you get all the parts to connect? Does it move? Are you in need of a rassberryPi board, I have a few at home I could bring ya," she said, bending down to look at the very cute, if headless, robot.

"Aren't you a cute little robit, so cute with your whisks and ghosty, yes so cute," she said, speaking as though she was talking to a tiny kitten or rabbit. It was actually quite cute, honestly.

Smerdle

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:23 pm
The haul she brought from the back was more than Chester could have hoped for, and his eyes lit up even before she spoke. He stood much straighter when she began to coo, pride keeping a smirk on his face.

"I have some help," he admitted. "It's not quite magitech, but without... guidance I doubt I could get any of these things to hold together at all." He was probably already revealing too much, but he was in a sharing mood. It wasn't often that people called anything of his cute.

"I'm trying to get some sort of movement without adding any existing technology for that sort of thing, just to see if I can. More pulleys and gears than raspberryPi. I'll definitely come here first if I find I can't do it though."

a-disgruntled-dragon

Smerdle

Scamp

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:26 am
Magitech. She glanced back up to him, far too excited, and back down at the tiny robot. Oh there were so many unique ways you could go about making it work. If it wasn't quite magitech, then maybe there was some magic behind it at least, especially if he was going for a more analogue approach.

Holy.... it was possible. It was actually possible to combine magic with technology. She... knew, that it was, but it was limited and horrendously over priced, and you needed a good handle on magic to begin with to even attempt it. Or so she'd heard.

"Have you thought about going the automaton route? Trying to create a... heart, so to speak? Gears definitely can help with that. Or are you limited in what you can make it do?" she said, straightening up and tapping a finger to her chin in thought. Autonomy was horrendous to code, but if there was... guidance to help...

Oh dear Chester, you may have unleashed a beast...

Smerdle

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:59 pm
"I haven't," he replied, quietly intrigued. "I've just been slowly stumbling along in my spare time. I mean... I was a engineering major for a semester and I vaguely know how these sorts of things are supposed to work on a much larger scale, but..."

There's been so much else to think about lately.

"A heart sounds complex. Although I could force things to go that way, I suppose."

Chester paused, pushing aside the inner voice that told him this was a bad idea. "I should explain. When I touch certain mechanical items that are receptive to it, they kind of tell me whether they can be a part of something else. So, I think I could make a heart of sorts given enough time, but it would also take a great deal of mental effort to look for specific parts."

a-disgruntled-dragon

Smerdle

Scamp

ashdown

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas