Welcome to Gaia! ::

Revolution: Gaia ©

Back to Guilds

Tags: Gaia, Revolution, Change, Cash Shop, Gaia Cash 

Reply 🌟Revolution: Gaia - General Discussion and info.
A possible return of Zomg! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pantherea Leonis

Exploratory Lionheart

6,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:08 am
Pwnder
Even if it were to be a stand alone game, outside of Gaia, just seeing it come back and playable would be awesome. If more than just Gaians were playing it, we would be sure to see new members join the site as well.

I do miss it, and I still have all my rings ready to use! Ready to blow kisses at everyone and finish that last boss!!

Kind of like Monster Galaxy is still a game? Would be better than nothing, but it wouldn't be the same without the network that is Gaia. Besides, I think everything that makes the game itself belongs to Gaia Interactive, such as locations, likenesses, creatures, characters etc., so if the game was made to not connect to Gaia, it would be very artificial I think. Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps launch a mockup of the game with the lifeline to Gaia proper cut, and a makeshift log-in that doesn't have a connection to the regular Gaia. Although I heard the problem was in the very platform of the game itself, and that's pretty much impossible to get around unless an entirely new platform is used, or they somehow manage to patch up the hacker-work and keep them out.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:17 pm
Pantherea Leonis

Is it seriously illegal to volunteer with skilled work? Or rather, accept volunteer skillled work. Considering this would be a trans-national operation if gaians from across the world pitched in with their varying degrees of common sense and coding/programming, I would reckon that the laws of both Server (Gaia) and Client (Gaians) countries would have to compete equally, and the worker usually has the right to offer their services, as long as their pay, if any, is taxed properly.

Although I'm in no way a law-student, nor have any experience from American emplyment and work customs.

I found this article which explains it in an easy to read manner.

It is illegal for Gaia to accept volunteers to work in skilled positions (as the article says - volunteer work is allowed for tasks which pretty much anyone can do to a standard without training - like looking after something

Quote:
Typically, volunteers will serve on a part-time basis and will not displace employees or perform work that would otherwise be performed by employees.

This being Moderators for example, most Gaia staff that work at the office probably don't get paid to solely monitor and regulate the forums, so it isn't a task that would normally be paid for doing - so mod positions for forums is completely fine for volunteers.

-----

The article also brings up another way - Internship - however this would also be tricky to do - if not straight out impossible.
These six points must not be broken when in consideration of the internship.
As I am assuming internship is to help get someone into a job such as this - via training them. Which means Gaia will have to follow these 6 rules likewise.

Quote:
The training, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to that which would be given in a vocational school.

The training is for the benefit of the trainees or students.

The trainees or students do not displace regular employees, but work under their close observation.

The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the trainees or students, and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded.

The trainees or students are not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the training period.

The employer and the trainees or students understand that the trainees or students are not entitled to wages for the time spent in training.

So basically, to accept someone as an Intern, Gaia would have to train them to do the task that the Intern would do if they were going to apply to work for Gaia eventually.

Which means Gaia Staff would have to spend lots of time, effort and resources into helping said Intern learn the ropes around - and teach like a proper school/college/university would do.

The training would have to benefit the Intern, showing and teaching them skills that they could do and generally helping them learn new skills and methods of skills they may already have.

The interns will not act as proper employees - so they will not be able to make features themselves, draw avatar items and release any of these, as this is the work of the Gaia Employees to do - though regarding the rules above - Gaia would be able to teach said intern on how to make features and draw in the specific style that Gaia uses. As long as the interns work doesn't get immediately used by Gaia.
The intern would also have to work while constantly being monitored and watched upon by a member of the Gaia team. (Again, using more resources and time)

Now the point that matters - Gaia can not immediately benefit from the Interns work - and may actually be impeded by them. This is mainly to cover the intern in case they mess something up (whoops, broke da feature oh noez) but this also stops Gaia from using the Intern as a true employee.

Gaia could teach said Intern how to make a feature which utilizes the avatar system for example - like teach the Intern on how to make a game such as Word Bump in HTML5 - the Intern would end up resulting in time having a complete project for the Word Bump game in HTML5 due to the teaching progress taking them all the way there to teach and train them in using the Avatar System and HTML5 to make said game.

However - Gaia could not use that Word Bump game made by said Intern.
As that would break the rule that Gaia cannot immediately benefit from said Interns work. Which I am assuming what they mean by immediately benefit from.

Though this might be in regards to having a feature give profits / currency to said company from the work of the Intern.
If this would be the case, then the Interns work could be used in Gaia straight away as long as Gaia doesn't get anything out of it (aka that Word Bump game wouldn't be able to have any for-profit features and micro-transactions).

----

The last two points cover the Employer (Gaia) - aka the Intern shouldn't expect a Job after the Internship has ended, and Gaia is not required to pay said intern anything for the work they may have ended up doing.

----

So as you see, it's a slippery scope and if they went for internship they would have to spend a lot of time training said intern like a school would, babysitting them by watching everything they do and they may not even be able to use any of the Interns created material for a while (that's if the Interns work/material DIDN'T fall under replacing an employee's work - otherwise it wouldn't be allowed at all).

See the mess they're in?
The best thing they can do is pay someone minimum wage.  

Lemon Emperor

Pantherea Leonis

Exploratory Lionheart

6,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:40 am
Lemon Emperor

Yikes! That's a tricky one, but I see why it's there. Otherwise everyone would take "volunteer" work and give nothing back. Could the employment salary of those working be given in "resources" though? In the hypothetical event that I was running a farm, could I pay my farmhands in milk and wool?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:44 am
Pantherea Leonis
Lemon Emperor

Yikes! That's a tricky one, but I see why it's there. Otherwise everyone would take "volunteer" work and give nothing back. Could the employment salary of those working be given in "resources" though? In the hypothetical event that I was running a farm, could I pay my farmhands in milk and wool?

Not sure, I would assume not.

Lemon Emperor

HyphyMexican XIII SSC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:40 am
i know ive seen a link somewhere for zomg and it pulls up the world server and pre render monsters and that stupid twitter feed at the top saying its inaccessible. and then lanzer said something about he wanted to bring it back so im not sure

sources of my statements

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/chatterbox/lanzer-bring-back-zomg-official-riot/t.101437349_46/

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/chatterbox/lanzer-bring-back-zomg-2017-item-gifting/t.101446617_1/

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-community-discussion/lanzer-is-back/t.101410851_319/#319

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
🌟Revolution: Gaia - General Discussion and info.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games