Back to Guilds

Tags: Gaia, Revolution, Change, Cash Shop, Gaia Cash 

Reply 📂Event Archive
🎄 Trim the tree! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What goes on top of your Christmas tree?
  A star!
  An Angel!
  Something else! (Please tell us about it!)
  We don't have a Christmas tree (If you don't celebrate Christmas or do something else instead tell us!)
View Results

Neshira Namea Returns

Josies Champion

19,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:20 am
Lycanthropos
Neshira Namea Returns
Lycanthropos

Well this was loads of fun!! biggrin I'm so glad you posted this contest. I did several iterations of my tree, all quite different, and learned some new tricks in my graphics software. whee I finally settled on this one. It's the most traditional of all the ones I created. I liked some of the funkier ones, too, but this one seemed to come out best. I tried to make it look like the lights are twinkling, but not really sure if I managed to do that. Oh well, it was great practice! I hope everyone likes it.

User Image

It's adorable!
We've done similar contests in a lot of our event. We had a hand turkey one year and got some great entries:
User Image
This one is still my fave. <3

That is too cool! I knew I should have gone with funky. Oh well. Christmas tends to be traditional, I suppose. I'm Jewish and I thought about putting little dreidls on the tree, maybe some other stuff, but people tend to get easily offended. I like pushing limits but since I'm new here I figured I better not. whee I push enough limits off Gaia. Lulz.

Dreidls would have been wonderful!
No one in this guild would be offended by you representing your religion and holiday here. This event isn't just for Christmas. There are somewhere around 30 holidays celebrated this time of year around the world and all of them are valid. If anyone gives you a hard time about your own traditions or faith in this guild please let me know so I can deal with them immediately. We don't tolerate bigotry here.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:44 am
I don't know what I was thinking when I made this tree~ lol (Probably colorful lollipops and candy.)
I wanted to capture that feeling when you look at a christmas tree. How it just radiantly glows if that makes sense. I don't celebrate christmas, but I sure love those pretty trees~ emotion_kirakira
Regardless, I had fun making it, and I hope you like it~ 3nodding

User Image

Aish Diesh

Inquisitive Duck

24,275 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Invisibility 100

Pantherea Leonis

Exploratory Lionheart

6,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:36 pm
dalia303
I don't know what I was thinking when I made this tree~ lol (Probably colorful lollipops and candy.)
I wanted to capture that feeling when you look at a christmas tree. How it just radiantly glows if that makes sense. I don't celebrate christmas, but I sure love those pretty trees~ emotion_kirakira

User Image

Ih! That tree was beautiful ^^ It totally captured the "radiant charm" of a christmas tree. It took me a while to realize some of details, like that the topper was a snowman ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:54 pm
Pantherea Leonis
dalia303

User Image

Ih! That tree was beautiful ^^ It totally captured the "radiant charm" of a christmas tree. It took me a while to realize some of details, like that the topper was a snowman ^^

Ah, thank you~ User Image
Yes, some of the details, ended up as tiny details~User Image
I guess it's like a Disney movie now? You have to pause to see the tiny details~User Image

Aish Diesh

Inquisitive Duck

24,275 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Invisibility 100

HyphyMexican XIII SSC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:31 am
christmas is very important to mexicans, only a star belongs on top. at least from the mexican standpoint. angels go around the tree or outside to guard against bad things this time of year
my family has such strict things we must do to celebrate this time of year alot of people would think that the joy has been sucked from the holiday but its quite the contrary. it makes it more enjoyable from my standpoint and from many of my homies standpoints as well
one weird thing that has to be done right before the holidays is that our catholic diet of food we eat must be altered to a different menu. fish wednesdays is weird to say the least
but only a star goes up on top of our tree, no other things are allowed on top of a tree at least in this mexican household O_O. i really cant understand why anyone would put anything else on top of the tree anyway? im lost on that

anyone care to explain that to a mexican guy?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:22 pm
XxiHyphyMexicanxX
christmas is very important to mexicans, only a star belongs on top. at least from the mexican standpoint. angels go around the tree or outside to guard against bad things this time of year
my family has such strict things we must do to celebrate this time of year alot of people would think that the joy has been sucked from the holiday but its quite the contrary. it makes it more enjoyable from my standpoint and from many of my homies standpoints as well
one weird thing that has to be done right before the holidays is that our catholic diet of food we eat must be altered to a different menu. fish wednesdays is weird to say the least
but only a star goes up on top of our tree, no other things are allowed on top of a tree at least in this mexican household O_O. i really cant understand why anyone would put anything else on top of the tree anyway? im lost on that

I guess when you don't have strict traditions, with explanations like you have for the guarding angels, the point is altered or lost. Some even believe the star WAS an angel, the Archangel Gabriel, who delivered the message of Jesus' arrival, making the star/angel debate irrelevant.

Where I come from, what you put on the tree has no consequence, really. We're expected to put some colored, shiny-things on it, and a sparkly topper, and some shiny streamers around the tree, either circling it or streaming from the top down, but we don't have any "rules" regarding tree decoration. It's standard to have candle-like lights, silver or gold fuzzy streamers, colored glass orbs as ornaments, and a star for a topper. Even in one of the most sung Christmas carols around here, "Du grønne, glitrende tre", roughly translating to "O, green, brilliant tree", there is a verse about its decoration that goes as follows:

Du grønne, glitrende tre, god dag
Velkommen du som vi ser så gjerne
Med julelys og med norske flagg
Og høyt i toppen den blanke stjerne
/:Ja den må skinne
for den skal minne:/
/ surprised ss om vår Gud:/

This translates to "O, green, brilliant tree. Be welcome you whom we so gladly see. With yuletime lights and Norwegian flags, and high in the top the glistening star. It has to shine, as it is to remind us of our God."

We're not a very strictly religious culture though, so the only reason we really celebrate Christmas at all is because we like gifts, good food and drink, and because we've just always done it. Some go to mass on Christmas Day just because it's a nice get-together with coffee and waffles and pretty songs. I don't know if this is the norm also in other protestant-dominated countries/areas, but it seems to be the case here.

I'm not even a christian, but the manger and cradle, angels and star is heavy in my house. along with Santa and all the other elves. And holly and shiny baubles of course. Just because it's always been like that when I grew up. In a secular home, "Christmas" hasn't really had that much of a religious tone, despite all the symbols. It's just been cozy times, lots of fatty food and chocolate.  

Pantherea Leonis

Exploratory Lionheart

6,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200

HyphyMexican XIII SSC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:16 pm
Pantherea Leonis
XxiHyphyMexicanxX

I guess when you don't have strict traditions, with explanations like you have for the guarding angels, the point is altered or lost. Some even believe the star WAS an angel, the Archangel Gabriel, who delivered the message of Jesus' arrival, making the star/angel debate irrelevant.

Where I come from, what you put on the tree has no consequence, really. We're expected to put some colored, shiny-things on it, and a sparkly topper, and some shiny streamers around the tree, either circling it or streaming from the top down, but we don't have any "rules" regarding tree decoration. It's standard to have candle-like lights, silver or gold fuzzy streamers, colored glass orbs as ornaments, and a star for a topper. Even in one of the most sung Christmas carols around here, "Du grønne, glitrende tre", roughly translating to "O, green, brilliant tree", there is a verse about its decoration that goes as follows:

This translates to "O, green, brilliant tree. Be welcome you whom we so gladly see. With yuletime lights and Norwegian flags, and high in the top the glistening star. It has to shine, as it is to remind us of our God."

We're not a very strictly religious culture though, so the only reason we really celebrate Christmas at all is because we like gifts, good food and drink, and because we've just always done it. Some go to mass on Christmas Day just because it's a nice get-together with coffee and waffles and pretty songs. I don't know if this is the norm also in other protestant-dominated countries/areas, but it seems to be the case here.

I'm not even a christian, but the manger and cradle, angels and star is heavy in my house. along with Santa and all the other elves. And holly and shiny baubles of course. Just because it's always been like that when I grew up. In a secular home, "Christmas" hasn't really had that much of a religious tone, despite all the symbols. It's just been cozy times, lots of fatty food and chocolate.

im wondering if you read the norwegian from bottom to top. its the only way the translation of the original makes sense to me
also it sounds kind of lonely. i dont hear alot about extended family in your post. do they come around on the holiday?
aka (familia extendida en espanol y/o mexico)
just get togethers in a church or other places. or is this the norwegian version of familia?
guess i just am lost when its not my culture sad  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:25 pm
XxiHyphyMexicanxX
Pantherea Leonis
XxiHyphyMexicanxX

im wondering if you read the norwegian from bottom to top. its the only way the translation of the original makes sense to me
also it sounds kind of lonely. i dont hear alot about extended family in your post. do they come around on the holiday?
aka (familia extendida en espanol y/o mexico)
just get togethers in a church or other places. or is this the norwegian version of familia?
guess i just am lost when its not my culture sad

No, it's read from top to bottom like any other language. We literally welcome the tree, as it is the greatest symbol of the holidays for us, describe it, and end with the tree topper, and explain why.

Extended family as in uncles and aunts and the in-laws and friends "adopted" into the family and cousins and such? We don't really do that over here.

We aren't so closely knit in Norway, especially after travel in this country has been easier. We're basically clinging to the side of a mountain, living in the valleys and fjords, with hills and mountains separating us into small communities. Once we started to move around, especially going to the big cities, we rarely find an in-crowd to associate with, and never get too closely knit to people. Talking to a stranger on the bus or in a store is a big taboo here. I who recognize this as silly still feel like "What the hell is this person doing, talking to me?? I don't know him!"

When we celebrate Christmas, at least in my household, we have the morning of Christmas Eve at home with our family, watching traditional TV shows, like "three nuts for Cinderella" and a Norwegian classic called "The journey to the Christmas Star". Then, after eating the candy from our stockings, we don't get presents in them over here, we dress up nicely and bring our presents to wherever we're going to celebrate Christmas, usually showing up at about 5pm.

We in my household go to my Grandma's house to celebrate Christmas there. We're rarely any more than nine there. There's her, her boyfriend, my mom and dad, me and my brother, sometimes my uncle and his girlfriend, even rarer my cousin is there. This year my daughter will be there too. That's 10, if all come. We were planning to spend Christmas at home just the five of us though, if my grandma was going to her boyfriend's family for Christmas.

When we're there, we'll eat wholesome, fatty foods, eat some rice porridge and someone wins a marzipan pig. Then, when we're all done eating, we open our presents. And after we're done opening our presents, and playing a little with them if applicable, possibly having a few mugs of glogg, and we'll go to bed, usually at the place where we've visited. Then we'll have a nice breakfast the next day and make our way home.

At least that's what my family does. Being a separated, fragmented society, I have no idea what's common practice in other families.  

Pantherea Leonis

Exploratory Lionheart

6,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200

Neshira Namea Returns

Josies Champion

19,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:05 am
It's so cool to learn about other cultures!
My family isn't religious, nor am I. We always had an angel on top growing up because my grandmother made it and it was beautiful. When we lost our ornaments to a theft one year when I was little my mom started putting up a santa (also made by my grandma) instead.

Now as an adult I put a star on my tree. I don't see the point of an angel when we're not celebrating the religious aspect and I always as a kid wanted a star like I saw on TV.

We TRY to go with a colour scheme on our tree but now it's more of a mishmash because ornaments our son makes go on or ornaments we're given. Lots of fandom stuff. XD This year my favourite ornaments are ones we sat down and made together. They're decorated with each of us writing what our Christmas Wishes were.

My husband wished for happiness for our family, more time to spend together, and a game he wants.

My son wished for ham for Christmas Dinner (spoiler, he's getting that wish!), For me to stop being sick, and for a bike.

I wished for our family to spend more time together, good fortune for friends, and some fuzzy socks because I love them.

After we all wrote our wishes and read them to each other we hung them up on the tree for "Santa to see."  
📂Event Archive

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff