[PRP] Pester (Preacher & Chester)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:25 pm
Preacher looked up at the building and twisted her braid around one finger. It was a fishtail braid, and it had taken damn near forever, but it looked alright. She was here to make good impressions, after all, so junk like that was important. Her forays into the forest, the changing weather, the horrible deluge - everything was nudging her into getting an actual roof over her head, sooner rather than later. The flyer had been like another sign. It was straight-forward: roommate wanted, and just the sort of things she could use. Rent was expensive and, if she could live with bugs and out of a tent for several months, she could handle any roommate. Maybe.

So, she'd called, set up a time to come by and meet the guy and see the place and... Here she was. Preacher scuffed her boot against the sidewalk, feeling unnaturally nervous. She swallowed it and tried taking the steps up to the door two at a time, misjudged, and nearly fell flat on her face. Well then. Tucking a lose strand of hair behind one ear, she rang the doorbell and tried to look appropriately demure and yet sociable.

smerdle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:41 am
Chester hadn't been the one to make the flyer or answer the phone or any of that. It had all been Uncle Alan, the sports-loving long time friend of the family who was not actually his uncle at all. Alan had seen the writing on the wall—or rather "the ********' sludge in the ********' bay, what the ******** had decided to relocate to his Florida winter house a little before the end of hurricane season this year. When Chester had expressed interest in using his apartment in his absence, citing parental interference in his personal life, Alan had given him a knowing smile and an elbow nudge, like they were starring in some cheesy half hour sitcom.

"I know how that is," he'd said, pausing for the laugh track.

It wasn't that Chester wasn't thankful that Uncle Alan had taken care of the ads and the interview scheduling and was leaving behind furniture and wasn't demanding rent for a couple of months so his pseudo-nephew could find a job, but the man really didn't know. There would be no scamming on college girls in Alan's Red Sox shrine of a living room. Even if the first person he was interviewing was female.

Chester straightened his jacket and took a closer look at the list just as the doorbell bing-bonged around him.

Preacher Maria.

Preacher. From the police station.

He debated not answering at all, but that would just be weird, considering she had an appointment and everything. Maybe she wouldn't recognize him without the hat. Maybe she wouldn't remember him at all. Chester took a deliberate breath. If anything, he had to answer before she rang the bell again. He rushed toward the door, pulling it open almost violently as he grimaced down at her.

"Here to see the apartment?" he asked, his voice slightly more pleasant than his horrible smile. Well, duh.

The Semblance of Unity
long setup post is long

Smerdle

Scamp

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Preacher resisted the urge to give a low whistle as he opened the door. The man opening it had the shittiest attempt at a smile ever. "Yeah, I set up an appointment? I'm Preacher. Is now... a bad time?" And she stuck out her hand in an attempt at civility. Looking at the man closely, he seemed vaguely familiar, but she saw so many ********' people a day at work and wandering around town... She tried to peer past him into the building.

smerdle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:19 pm
Twice this had happened now. Twice he had dreaded facing women he had made a fool of himself in front of, only to have them fail to remember him in the slightest. On the one hand, it was a blessing. On the other, it was rather humbling. He held out his cold hand to shake.

"Yes, the appointment. It's nice to meet you. Please, come in." He held off on giving his name, even though it almost physically hurt not to be cordial.

Back down the hall he led her, past foam fingers hanging on walls and shelves of glass-encased baseballs and swaths of red and white. It was a relatively small living space, since a great deal of this floor was used for storage, but there was a staircase leading up and the kitchen had an island with a pair of stools next to it, one of which Chester gestured to. He took the other.

"This place is my uncle's, though I've been assured that I may rent it for at least a year. Upstairs it's less... sporty. I can show you all of that after any initial questions you might have, I suppose?"

The Semblance of Unity

Smerdle

Scamp

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:10 pm
She followed him into the house, making a face at his back. When he turned back around, she had quickly schooled it into something pleasant. "Not a big fan o' sportsball?" Preacher had played a few things here and there, but she'd never been anywhere long enough to make sticking with it worthwhile.

"As far as questions - have we got a laundry on premises? Can I use tha kitchen? Any utilities included in rent? What's your name?" She smiled, innocently.

smerdle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:35 pm
His disdain was palpable. "I've played. I don't enjoy playing. So, no." His parents had pushed him into every team sport they could justify, and no matter how hard he'd tried, he slid right back out again.

"There are a washer and dryer in the back room. And utilities are included, all except internet and cable, if you wanted that. The kitchen is yours to do with as you please, as long as the place doesn't burn down." He took a breath. "And I am... Chester."

The Semblance of Unity

Smerdle

Scamp

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:04 pm
Preacher wasn't a big fan of sports, either. She kind of liked touch football - mainly for the tackling aspect, even if tackling wasn't very effective at her size. "It's not for everyone - I'm not a huge fan m'self." She idly swung one leg.

The utilities included was great. Internet was expensive, but she'd either make it work or just live on her phone with it's unlimited data. Probably live on her phone; Preacher didn't have a laptop anyway. "I'm good at not burning things down." Suddenly she snapped her fingers. "Ah! I remember you. Guy with the glowy book, had the business card n' stuff, yeah? Why didn't you just say so earlier?" CNP: his initials. Fancy in a silly way, she thought.

"Book's still there, y'know."

smerdle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:41 am
He closed his eyes in a long blink. "Yes. Hello. It's me," he said unnecessarily. "I didn't say anything because I wanted this to go more smoothly than things did at the police station, but I wasn't planning on lying or anything. Just keeping quiet if you didn't remember." How could she not, with his custom note cards? "Sorry. That's... um... strange about the book though. I'd like to come by and pick it up, if that's all right?"

Chester shifted slightly, almost standing then falling back to perch on his stool again.

"I can show you upstairs now, if you'd like."

The Semblance of Unity

Smerdle

Scamp

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:42 pm
"Yes, hello, it's you," she repeated back, smirking a bit. She was a little put off that he was going to keep it secret, like he was afraid Preacher would sucker punch him in the gut for even existing. Se didn't really keep grudges. "Nah, what's in tha past belongs in tha past. I dun care, y'know. I don't bite."

Now that was an odd little dance he did - almost a stand, but not quite. "I'd bring it to ya, but it's gotta be signed out 'gain by tha person what brought it. Ya can come anytime." She watched for a few more moments, then took pity on how obviously uncomfortable he was. Bouncing off the stood, she stuck her hands in her pockets.

"Sure. Lead tha way."

smerdle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:25 pm
Uncomfortable. That was his middle name. Only it wasn't at all because then his initials would have been CUP and the business cards wouldn't have looked nearly as impressive.

Chester nodded once in response to Preacher's last suggestion, but his reply fit any of the other statements she'd made as well. He wanted to just brush his wariness under the metaphorical rug, but he was horrible with people and she was confident, quick with a comeback, and could wield a glare like no one he'd ever met. It would take some time.

Upstairs was plain compared to the ground floor, just two bedrooms, an extra bathroom, and an odd sun room in the front. All but the sun room were furnished, though the furniture was sparse and unremarkable. It was almost as if the first floor was some temple of sports and up here was where the hunched and silent monks resided when they weren't guarding the antiquities.

"This is it. You can have this bathroom if you want."

The Semblance of Unity
~* *I DID IT* *~

Smerdle

Scamp

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:47 pm
"Lookin' perfect," she said. It was weird to think she might have a roof over her head again. Provided Chester let her.

"But like, if it alright with ya, I don't think we gotta split up tha bathrooms. It ain't fair if you gotta use the one downstairs all the damn time. 'Course, this is if you let me live here." She grinned at him before poking her head into the sun room. That room was utterly perfect - unfurnished, but she bet it would get lovely and warm with the sun coming through.

"So which room is yours? Annnd you got my number right? Y'know, in case ya decide I can live here."

smerdle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:19 am
"I've been using that room," he gestured right, "but I would be open to switching... if I let you live here."

He smiled a little at that. Somewhere along the way he had forgotten that he was the one making the decision. "There wouldn't be much to move. I haven't been here long myself. We can see about the bathroom too, but I don't mind going downstairs in most cases. I think I have your number in my papers though. When you've seen all you need to up here, we can go downstairs and check."

The Semblance of Unity

Smerdle

Scamp

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:39 pm
She snorted. He was letting it go to his head. But Preacher needed a roof over her head, so she didn't say a thing. She proceeded to poke her head in the bedroom that wasn't his, stare at the closet, then walk back out.

"That one looks fine. I wouldn't make ya move." She shoved her hands in her pockets. "N' like I said, I just would feel back about you always usin' the one downstairs. Don't mind sharin some." With that, she began to head down stairs.

smerdle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:37 am
"I'll keep that in mind." He followed with another small nod, eventually stepping ahead of Preacher when they were back in the kitchen. He paged through his neat pile of notes, pointing at her number when he found it.

"There. If that's you, we're set. I'll call and let you know the... um... final decision. It shouldn't be more than a day or two."

The Semblance of Unity

Smerdle

Scamp

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:52 am
She propped her hip against one of the walls. The downstairs was so weird. But she nodded at Chester's words.

"Alright, Hope to hear from ya." And Preacher did hope Chester would tell her if yes or no because winter was coming and she'd die of exposure. "Don't forget ta come by the department n' get that book, if ya want it." She grinned and turned to leave, feeling unusually anxious.

smerdle
finfin?

ashdown

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces