Perfect Raider

9,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:16 pm
Hello, everyone!

Been a long time since I posted anything meaningful here... sorry! sweatdrop

After taking a nearly two-year break from the hobby, (I got really burned out) I decided to come back in and start over. When I get to bigger games with higher stakes, I get really stressed out. I lose sight of the fact that I'm playing a game, and I do my darndest to win. If I lose, I feel terrible. If I win, I worried so much during the game that it's not worth it. I really needed to clear my head and get away from it for a while. So, as I throw my hat back into the ring, I'm going to try to cut back and play for fun.

The easiest way that I know how to do that is play really small games for the foreseeable future (500-750 points) using a (once-) fluffy army instead of a tournament-winner. If nothing else, if I get stressed, it's over with quickly. I decided to make an old-school Daemonhunters army. Grey Knights and Tempestus Scions! I intend to play 500 points of Scions (as Inquisitorial Storm Troopers) and, in larger games, 250 points of Grey Knights. This isn't the topic for list critiques, though, so I'll save that for another time.

Right now, I have ten Scion models (two five-man squads) and a Taurox Prime assembled, but nothing painted yet. More updates to come when I do!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:44 am
What may be helpful, especially if you have access to a regular pool of opponents, is to shift away from playing the standard missions found in the rulebook in favour of more themed scenarios that put less emphasis on scoring VP's and more on other objectives.

Have you considered the recently released Start Collecting! Militarum Tempestus set? It's a nice addition to what you already have, plus the formation included may come in handy, especially when playing at lower point amounts.

In any case, welcome back to the hobby, may it bring you fun once more!  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Ociluce

Perfect Raider

9,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:16 am
I did! ^.^ My FLGS is holding onto it for me. I needed the extra 10 scions in the kit, and the price cut for the added commissar and Taurox Prime were too good to pass up.

Thank you for the suggestions! When I see the other players again, I'll ask them about it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:49 pm
The commissar isn't the best of options (bit of a waste of points really when it comes to Tempestus Scions!), but you sadly need to field one in order to get the bonus from the formation. If it were a Lord Commissar it would've been marginally better but alas.. gonk

It's perhaps a bit on the expensive side, but the Altar of War compendium contains a lot of custom missions and scenarios to enact. While a lot of these are race specific it shouldn't be too hard to use with other armies.

Another option, which works especially well with the Tempestus Scions is to play Kill Team, something I've found the excel at when we did a small themed campaign a year ago. Nothing like a relentless or fleshbane Hotshot Volleygun to even the odds.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:43 am
I wonder if it would be an idea to use some kind of GameMaster occasionally, and perhaps put things together as a campaign?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:26 am
Campaigns, yes. Shorter games, unless they are heavily modified and strongly deviate from the core rules, no.

For campaigns it is sometimes crucial to have someone appointed to set everything up and to keep track of things like battle results.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Ociluce

Perfect Raider

9,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:31 pm
Eeeeh... the WH40K group at my FLGS is pretty flaky. I used to co-run the group before I put my miniatures aside and handed over the reins to my partner, but he moved out of the area and the guy he handed it off to (and the other players) hasn't been showing up. Been wanting to talk to them and see what's been going on, and if I'd still have games going, but... bleh. .-.-;;

I'm still going ahead with this, though! You never know when someone will actually show up. I might just take back the group by virtue of being the only person there. Story of my life. <<;;

In the meantime, I based and primed the models I'd bought years ago, and I just picked up the Start Collecting: Militarum Tempestus kit at the store using store credit accumulated from running a group for D&D Encounters. That done, I now must consider how I'm going to assemble the army. I'll have an army list posted in the appropriate thread soon, as well as relevant pictures.

I already know how I'm painting my daemonhunters... (warning: glorious carnage ahead)  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games