Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:22 am
Erin Barabutes

Awkward Tech Nerd
That cute and awkward twenty-five-ish year old IT and computer repair chick at the repair shop on Grand and 1st? That’s Erin. She’s quiet and generally well-mannered, but often comes off as detached and rude in social interactions when she’s outside of work. She works hard, often to the detriment of her health. Erin also has a slight problem with impulse control when it comes to new tech or video games, and eats far more Cup Noodles than is statistically healthy as a result.

Awkward Turtle
Erin’s really good with computers and other pieces of tech. People… not so much. There’s a lot of social cues and patterns that Erin just does not pick up on, no matter how attentive she is. Jokes? Fly over her head. Cue to offer condolences? Nope, but you'll get a smile. Asking her out? She’ll blink at you and probably ask why. She never quite knows what to say, when to laugh, or how to further a conversation. Get her talking about computer parts or video games, and the woman will talk your ear off about them without even trying to. That’s if you can get to talk though. While some of this can be chalked up to a distracted mind - Erin tends to exist in her own little head space most of the time - a good portion of it is just a lack of social skill. As a result, she isolates herself from most people, besides the customers and supervisors she has to interact with, to keep from souring potential friendships and relationships.

Not that she has any meaningful relationships. She wants them. She'd really like to have friends, or at least someone she can talk to on a regular basis. Every attempt though just to form platonic connections has ended in enough weird silences and glares that she just... doesn't anymore. Why continually be disappointed in herself and let down when she could make friends with virtual people instead?

Never BSODing
Erin has never had any computer parts not work, or be not compatible with each other. The latter more applies to motherboards and processors, though she'd had a few low wattage power supplies work with bigger rigs. She can build a complete computer from random parts and it will run without errors or complications. This is regardless of whether it's her own computer, or someone else’s. There does have to be a logical connection between the parts. A laptop isn't going to run with full-sized RAM, or some sort of externally rigged graphics card.

ANYTHING ELSE?
Erin has dyed her hair deep purple at the roots to almost white at the tips, and when she lets it loose it hangs to the middle of her back. She’s also never without some sort of gaming shirt, and wears giant headphones as a ‘personal aesthetic’. Erin stands about 5’2” when she isn’t slouched in front of a monitor, open computer or over a handheld gaming device.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 pm
Hey, Scowl! Crit incoming. smile

With regards to your high concept, if being cute is central enough to Erin's being that you give it a place in her high concept title, then it needs to be a little more central to your description, as well. "Cute" is a word that, without qualification, doesn't really tell me why she's cute. I checked your description of her physical appearance, and right now it doesn't seem like she's hugely into fashion or styling herself a certain way, so if "cute" is just a measure of her physical attractiveness, that's not a personality trait. If she's cute because she puts a conscious effort into being perceived as such, then please go into slightly more detail on how!

If being cute is not one of Erin's central defining traits, please consider an alternative high-concept, such as "Real Geek Girl" or "Socially-Awkward Nerd!" smile

That aside, this personality looks solid. Onto the trouble! Being socially awkward and purposefully isolationist on top of that is a great problem to have, but I'd like for you to take it one step forward and think about what conflict this causes in Erin's life. Does Erin want to have meaningful relationships? Does her awkwardness make her lonely? Does she want to reach out to people, but her fear of messing things up prevents her from doing so? A trouble is not just a negative trait - it's a struggle your character faces, a road map for their personal growth.

With regards to her power, I really like the idea, but I have a few questions. Does this extend to parts that should explicitly not be compatible? Things with different connectors, protocols, or power ratings? Can she shove full-sized RAM in a laptop and have it work? Or do her builds have to make some kind of logical sense? I would appreciate some clarification! smile

Please quote me back and change the thread title when you have made your edits and are ready for another round of crit! smile

a-disgruntled-dragon

Silverah
Vice Captain

Handsome Shoujo

11,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:50 pm
Made some edits! Thanks for asking for clarification about the power, I hadn't considered that at first!

Silverah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:07 am
APPROVED !!

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200