User Image

Murlun Hipowr
(Merr-luhn Hi-powuhr)
#ED2121

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:48 am
Name:

Murlun Hipowr

Murlun is an alternate spelling of Merlin (the wizard),
Hipowr is "high power" - a few characters.

Blood colour:

#ED2121

male

Symbol:

a labyrinth

Profile:

Murlun is an obsessive troll. He obsesses over things like star-gazing and FLARP as they are two of the activities he uses in order to chase away the mundane. He can stargaze for extremely lengthy amounts of time without feeling the least bit of boredom, and FLARP is so completely enthralling to him that he could daydream about it for nights without pause. He finds immense pleasure in solving puzzles and designing campaigns, having been gifted the mind of a strategist. Despite his constant ache for contact with other trolls (especially other FLARPers), much of Murlun's time is spent alone in his hive, and he has- therefore- become quite accustomed to solitude. He has never participated in an actual FLARP, despite having created hundreds of campaigns. He's an introvert, through and through; completely oblivious to common social rituals, and therefore usually quite enraged by them. Even without the help of his over-bearing lusus, he would most likely keep himself isolated. His tendency towards the socially awkward proves to be one of his greatest foes, and he does his best to avoid casual conversation at all costs due to carrying around the heavy fear of "messing up". He's lonely and he's pathetic because of it, but he keeps a shroud over these feelings; rarely allowing them to escape him. He uses sarcasm and a scathing tongue to keep these emotions hidden even further. He understands and acknowledges his role as a member of the lowest blood color; often allowing himself to be ordered about by highbloods so as to keep himself from being culled. He does not, however, accept it and is usually seething on the inside whenever he is looked down upon. He believes himself to be superior to most everyone around him, and holds firm to his narcissism regardless of his place within the caste. In his mind, blood color or physical strength should not be something that determines a troll's place in life. Knowledge, after all, is the truest form of power. He considers himself to be quite knowledgeable, and that fuels his narcissism.

Strengths:

Intelligent

Murlun's mind is, in his opinion, his most prized possession. He uses it to the best of his ability and is always looking to improve upon it by learning as much as he possibly can learn. His imagination, too, is spurred on by his intelligence; and his creativity can be quite astounding. He enjoys solving puzzles, as well as constructing them. He also uses his smartness to manipulate situations in which might have proven to results in some rather unsavory conclusions, had he been a troll of lesser mind. He reads. A lot.

Diligent

Hard-working and endlessly motivated, Murlun takes himself very seriously when it comes to getting done whatever it is he has set his mind on getting done- which is, usually, the creation of his campaigns. He is quite effective at figuring out the solution to complicated problems, and wastes none of his time being lazy. Instead, he keeps himself constantly busy.

Quiet

Despite his mind's capacity for constant and rather in-depth thought; Murlun has learned his place as a redblood, and knows that it's in his best interest to keep whatever it is he's thinking to himself rather than sharing with those around him. Conflicting opinions are, after all, quite endangering to one as frail and as low on the hemospectrum as he is.

Flaws:

Weak

Due to his small stature and easily broken appendages, Murlun does his best to avoid anything directly physical. He'll go out of his way to think of situations that will work to his advantage, and usually manages to cook up something that makes up for his weak-muscled grubling of a bod. If he can't avoid a physical challenge, however, it's most likely that he will fail; and nothing enrages him more than failure.

Overconfident

Though his weakness is apparent, Murlun is still quite adamant in the grub-minded belief that he is stronger than those around him. Due to this, he has a tendency to step into situations he thinks he can handle- when, in reality, he definitely cannot. And even when he's come to realize this, his narcissism will push him towards the refusal of admitting his mistake and he will frantically search for a solution that will aid him in his endeavors. Said solution is, usually, the interference and quick escape provided by RabidDad.

Weapon:

Staffkind

Appearance:

Murlun has black hair that is usually quite unkempt and almost always obscuring vision of his eyes. Though his vision in particular is, miraculously, quite clear. His teeth are all extremely sharp. He wears a plain black t-shirt with his symbol displayed on the front. He also wears a pair of black cargo shorts and red/black sneakers. His most treasured possession is the hooded red cape he wears around his neck. The tail of the cape often drags behind him due to his small stature, and he is constantly scrubbing at it.

Home:

Murlun lives in the ruins of a tower-like hive on the edge of Four Fronds, with the a**-freezing dirt mounds that are the Busthind Mountains serving as an ever-looming backdrop. The tower lacks both doors and windows. It looks as though the roof and a good portion of a wall had been destroyed via cannonballkind (or some other large launching projectile); this topmost, exposed level is what Murlun refers to as The Balcony and he can often be found there, star-gazing or planning his campaigns.

Lusus:

RabidDad is rabbit lusus with the hind legs, wings, and twin tails of a dragon. He is very large and extremely volatile. A being swayed quite fiercely by his own emotions and beliefs. Most of the things Murlun does angers RabidDad to no end, thus the lusus has a tendency to isolate Murlun from others in response to whatever disappointing deed Murlun has performed- this proving to be the worst punishment RabidDad could possibly condemn his charge with; as Murlun gets to be quite stir crazy when bored. If RabidDad is in a particularly good mood- usually after having gorged himself on raw meat and after having taken a long nap- he will occasionally comply with Murlun's wish to leave the tower; accompanying his young charge to where ever it is he has in the mind to go. If anything sparks his temper, however, he will immediately return Murlun to the tower; no matter how much the young troll protests.

Murlun is very resentful towards RabidDad's over protective nature, and sees his lusus' explosion of emotions as a weakness. Due to this, Murlun has vowed to always keep himself on a more logical path; following his mind organ rather than his pump biscuit. He thinks of RabidDad as more of a jailer than a parent, and mostly only sticks with him due to the protection that his muscle provides. Without RabidDad, it is very likely that Murlun would've been culled by now; and he is smart enough to acknowledge that even if he dislikes being in such a position.

Power:

N/a  

GhouIs

Anxious Phantom

Sypon
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:35 pm
Howdy Ghouls! First off, gotta reiterate that I just love the DND Wizard Clown concept. It’s kind of amazing. Let’s get this crit on goin’.

The sometimes CAPITALS style of Homestuck intros can make it a bit confusing to read and judge applications! I’d suggest just returning them to normal, considering they’re not adding much new information to the application. Homestuck-style intros are also tough because they tend to be from the biased perspective of the narrator, so I tend to discourage people from using it (though in your case it’s not the issue).

Second! Please put Murlun’s strengths and flaws into list form so they can be easily broken down and identified. Here’s Panili as an example as she was close at hand and recently accepted!

Aside: “dunderclunk” and “a**-freezing dirt mounds” = fantastic. I hope this kid talks like this, because your grasp on troll-esque words is dang miraculous.

Murlun’s got a nice start! I do have some comments for you to expand on, because I think there’s a really great foundation here.

What causes Murlun’s obsessions? Is he passionate about puzzles and design for a specific reason or stemming from some origin? I’m interested as well in how much interest he has in FLARP – considering it’s a group activity and he’s largely an introvert, and RabidDad isn’t too keen on letting him outside I am wondering how he plays! Is it a dream to play? Does he design for himself and RabidDad? Tell me more!

On the note of RabidDad, make sure that Murlun is not too isolated that he can’t get outside to interact with others and participate in events! When he socializes, does he generally allow himself to be a doormat? While he’s an introvert is he shy as well, or has his participation in juggalo culture made him more outgoing? How does he act around other clowns versus other people, especially when he’s always wearing his make-up denoting him as a cultist!

You mention that RabidDad (and by extension, Murlun) are quite logical and straightforward, but I’m not sure how this manifests, especially in RabidDad! Where Murlun likes strategy and stargazing he also has to balance being a clown, which is anything but logical or straightforward. It would be great to parse his relationship with how he is logical and how that carries over (and perhaps benefits!) his entrance into the cult. I’d also like a bit more elaboration on how RabidDad’s logical nature shows up.

Finally, why does Murlun think himself superior? I love the idea of him being simultaneously weak/breakable and overconfident, but I am not sure where this trait comes from. Perhaps the cult? Maybe his intelligence? Something else? I gotta know more!

That’s what I have for now! Great start, keep it coming!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:42 pm
Sypon
Howdy Ghouls! First off, gotta reiterate that I just love the DND Wizard Clown concept. It’s kind of amazing. Let’s get this crit on goin’.

The sometimes CAPITALS style of Homestuck intros can make it a bit confusing to read and judge applications! I’d suggest just returning them to normal, considering they’re not adding much new information to the application. Homestuck-style intros are also tough because they tend to be from the biased perspective of the narrator, so I tend to discourage people from using it (though in your case it’s not the issue).

Second! Please put Murlun’s strengths and flaws into list form so they can be easily broken down and identified. Here’s Panili as an example as she was close at hand and recently accepted!

Aside: “dunderclunk” and “a**-freezing dirt mounds” = fantastic. I hope this kid talks like this, because your grasp on troll-esque words is dang miraculous.

Murlun’s got a nice start! I do have some comments for you to expand on, because I think there’s a really great foundation here.

What causes Murlun’s obsessions? Is he passionate about puzzles and design for a specific reason or stemming from some origin? I’m interested as well in how much interest he has in FLARP – considering it’s a group activity and he’s largely an introvert, and RabidDad isn’t too keen on letting him outside I am wondering how he plays! Is it a dream to play? Does he design for himself and RabidDad? Tell me more!

On the note of RabidDad, make sure that Murlun is not too isolated that he can’t get outside to interact with others and participate in events! When he socializes, does he generally allow himself to be a doormat? While he’s an introvert is he shy as well, or has his participation in juggalo culture made him more outgoing? How does he act around other clowns versus other people, especially when he’s always wearing his make-up denoting him as a cultist!

You mention that RabidDad (and by extension, Murlun) are quite logical and straightforward, but I’m not sure how this manifests, especially in RabidDad! Where Murlun likes strategy and stargazing he also has to balance being a clown, which is anything but logical or straightforward. It would be great to parse his relationship with how he is logical and how that carries over (and perhaps benefits!) his entrance into the cult. I’d also like a bit more elaboration on how RabidDad’s logical nature shows up.

Finally, why does Murlun think himself superior? I love the idea of him being simultaneously weak/breakable and overconfident, but I am not sure where this trait comes from. Perhaps the cult? Maybe his intelligence? Something else? I gotta know more!

That’s what I have for now! Great start, keep it coming!

Howdy Sypon! Thanks for the crit!

I've edited out the CAPITALS and I've made Murlun's strengths and flaws into a more easy-to-read list version, as was asked of me. The terms dunderclunk and a**-freezing dirt mounds are definitely influenced by Murlun's speech pattern, as he is quite adept at being a grumpy ******** that insults anything and everything around him with a variety of well-thought-up cursewords (usually to keep the conversation from going any further in-depth than it has to).

I've rewritten his profile to reflect your critique, so hopefully it all seems to flow a bit better? I've retracted his status as a juggalo; having decided that he's too dependent on logic and reasoning to be a clown... and I've made it so that, rather than being logical, RabidDad is a beast swayed by emotions; thus shoving Murlun in the other direction, as he actually despises his lusus and would prefer to have nothing in common with such an uncivilized animal. His overconfidence stems from his intelligence, and his belief that knowledge is power. I guess you could say he sort of desperately clings to his strengths and does his delusional best to believe that they make up for his weaknesses? Like, PFT ******** U I DON'T NEED TO BE STRONG I'VE GOT THE BRAINPOWER TO MAKE UP FOR IT!!!! and then he proceeds to get beaten to a pulp until RabidDad swoops in to rescuse his little hot-tempered damsel in distress and he continues to believe that he's an untouchable knight as he nurses his wounds within the darkness of his prison tower.

Hopefully that all translated well into the newly-written profile and lusus sections. If not, please let me know! I look forward to your critique.  

GhouIs

Anxious Phantom

Application Quests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces