• Perfect Attendance 400
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:15 pm
Lilium Catesb
              Name: Lilium Catesb

Blood colour: #C60023 - ▆▆▆▆▆▆

Symbol: User Image

Profile:
                Lilium may be on the stubborn side, but she really is a kind troll. She knows where she belongs in the hemospectrum and doesn't let that get to her. She knows that things can't be changed, and if they could they wouldn't be by a lowly color like her. Anyone talking about breaking the hemospectrum is most likely going to be avoided by her. Although she is fine talking to any other color highblood trolls do make her little on the nervous side. She sometimes wishes that she could be of a higher color, but knows this is pointless to think about so she tries not to dwell on it often. Although she is helpful to any color, she makes sure to be around when highbloods need something. Cirapt has taught her that if you make yourself useful then people will be less likely to hurt you or be mean to you. If ever in a dangerous situation Lilium will try to run first, but she will fight for her life. She doesn't want to die, and if she is going to die she is going to go out fighting.

Although she loves to be out helping people she hates to be put in situations where she needs help herself or has to work with other people. She believes that her only partner is Cirapt, and other then her Lusus she doesn't want to work with anyone. If she is forced to work in a team she will do so, but she will not be happy about it. The two of them are rarely seen apart, as Lilium see's Cirapt not just as her mother but as her best friend. Plus Cirapt knows that Lilium can be taken advantage of so she tags along on Lilium's adventures to make sure her troll stays safe.

Most of her time is spent inside her house, taking care of all of the plants that she has in there. They are her pride and joy, so she makes sure to take very good care of them. Some of her first memories are Cirapt bringing her plants, and even though those died quickly she has learned how to keep them alive as she got older. She also spends a lot of time in the kitchen making different kinds of concoctions. She keeps tracks of everything that she makes in a large journal she has in her kitchen, including who she gives out her medicine to and how well it works. She's always tweaking, trying to make the best medicines that she can. One day she hopes to be widely known for her skills with herbs.

Strengths:
                - Confident :: The things that Lilum knows about, she knows all about. She is very sure of her knowledge and it shows. Even when talking to a higher color the confidence in her abilities and what she knows still shows, although it can seemed subdued.
                - Helpful :: Even though she doesn't want any help for herself, Lilium is more then happy to help anyone who needs it. If you're hungry she'll feed you, hurt and she is more then willing to patch you up and send you home with some medicine to help you heal faster. She's also available to help with random tasks that others need, even if she isn't so good at said task she is always willing to try and help out.
                - Resilient :: No matter what is thrown at Lilium she just bounces back from it. Nothing can keep her down for too long. If something bad happens to her she will be sad for the appropriate amount of time, but after that she knows better then to keep being sad. It's pointless. It's the same with any kind of injury, she will take it slow until it is healed and then she is bad in full force.

Flaws:
                - Stubborn :: When Lilium wants to do something, or thinks that something is right, it takes a lot to change her mind. In fact it's pretty much impossible to do so. She's very stubborn in her ways and doesn't like when people try to change her mind. She's the kind of troll that will sit there for hours arguing her point, never backing down. Even if she realizes mid argument that she might be wrong it is unlikely that she will change her mind.
                - Independent :: Lilium doesn't need you, she doesn't need anyone to help her out or to tell her what to do. She's going to do whatever it is that she wants to do, no matter what other people think. Even if she does need help it's unlikely that she will willingly ask for it unless pushed to do so by Cirapt. She doesn't even like asking Cirapt for help, and is only willing to do so because she knows that she is still young and there are things that Cirapt is better at then she is.
                - Softhearted :: She wants to help people, and when she can't it effects her more then most things. Those that are smaller or weaker then her will automatically gain her attention and protection. This makes her very easily taken advantage of, as she full believes that people wouldn't fake needing help.

Weapon:
                Dual elbow blades x x

Appearance:
                Hair / Outfit style : X (the feather headband isn't necessary, but if she does have it I'd like it to be one of Cirapt's white feathers). Here are some more native american outfits. Though I'd like her hair to stay the same her outfit can be tweaked to be more authentic.
                I'd love her horns to be kind of like any of the ones here, maybe even four antlers? I'm not super picky.

Home:
                Lilium has lived in Chittentown her whole life, and really doesn't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Her home is relatively simple. It has a living room that is separated from the kitchen by a bar and then a single bedroom with a connecting bathroom. Her bedroom and living room are full of different herbs and things with healing properties that she takes care of to make medicine and other natural cures. Other then that, and the special instruments in her kitchen to create such things, her house doesn't have anything more then necessary.

Lusus:
                A very motherly female velociraptor named "Cirapt" by Lilium. She is pure white except for the steams of her feathers, which are red since her blood shows through there. She is about twenty feet long and fifty feet tall.

Cirapt is very protective and motherly over Lilium, which is where Lilium got her helpful nature. The two of them are always willing to help others out, which is something that Lilium admires. Another trait that Cirapt got from is her ability to roll with the punches. The two of them together can face anything that comes there way. They are very close and the relationship between them is a loving one. Even if sometimes Lilium wishes that Cirapt would back off she knows that Cirapt is only looking out for her.

Lilium growls when she is unhappy, something that she picked up from Cirapt.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:48 am
Hello Dino! Great to see a dinosaur in the shop (troll-wise and user-wise! wink ) Thanks for your patience; time to get down to business.

Lilium is reading nicely on the profile side. I’d love a bit of elaboration between her hobbies and personality to round her our!

First question: Lilium seems to have a sort of resigned attitude towards the hemospectrum based on her self-deprecation, but she loves to help others. Where does this come from, especially when she refuses to work with others? Is it a sort of understanding of what her role is as a lowblood to be helpful, a feeling of affecting Alternia? I’m interested in what the origin of this is and how it’s affected by her thoughts on the hemospectrum.

Second: Is her independence also affected by her stance on the hemospectrum, or is it independent (yuk yuk) of that?

Alright! Finally, I love the detail about her herbalism and taking care of her plants (particularly in Chittentown). Was she inspired by something specific for her passion – especially in Chittentown, where growing greens can be a challenge!

Moving on.

Strengths/flaws:

Right now, Independent is reading as more neutral (or even like a flaw!) because it doesn’t seem like it’s helping her any more than working with others might. Consider what she exhibits during her independent streaks that help her succeed, instead of fail – for instance if her confidence allows her to go it alone, or her improvisational skills might get her out of scrapes. These are some suggestions, but you may want to replace or retool this if you’re stuck.

Unpredictable: Hmm! I’m not sure exactly where this trait is coming from. In her profile she seems very careful and subservient, and considering she doesn’t get out too much or rely on other trolls I’m not sure where this will come into play. Right now it seems a bit contradictory to her helpful nature as it’s reading a bit impish. I’m also not certain how it holds up as a flaw, considering I don’t seeing it negatively affecting her unless it’s pushed to an extreme which doesn’t seem to mesh with her personality.

Only other comment:
Considering the source material and history of Peter Pan’s representation of Native Americans, I might suggest looking for some additional reference for her design!  

Sypon
Vice Captain

a pet dino

Brainy Bookworm

22,990 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:21 am
Sypon

Thank you! And yes, I couldn't resit bringing a dinosaur in since the world allows it!

Well her helpful side comes from two things. Cirapt has always helped her, which she loves, but it's also kind of a defense mechanism. She knows she's low on the hemospectrum which means if she died no one would really mind. However by making herself helpful and useful she becomes sort of worth more then most reds. She doesn't like working with others mostly because that lowers her worth, and she is always scared of getting blamed for the mistake of others. Which is where her independence comes from, again it's more of a defense mechanism that she has taken a little to the extreme over the years. Asking for help, in her mind, makes her look weak and have less worth. It's also a little of she thinks knows best about things things that she knows and doesn't want people in her way.

I added that her herbalism started from Cirapt when she was young and just grew. I think it would have been something she did for Cirapt at first, and as time passed she found out all the things you could go with plants and it became her passion.

I moved Independent to a flaw, because you are so right about it being more of a flaw, which took away unpredictable and I added confident into her positives.

I added some more native american dress, though I wanted her to be mostly like tiger lily from Peter Pan since that's where I got the idea for her from.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:59 am
Your comments on her helpful and independent nature sound fine – please incorporate them into the profile section so I can see how they play with her other personality information! After you make these edits please resubmit her!

Independent also sounds good, but now that you’ve shifted it I would suggest explicitly adding more information on how it negatively affects her. Just an elaboration to explain what you’ve got, as it’s a bit on the fence.

The reason that I’m concerned is that Tiger Lily from Peter Pan is a really generalized version of an American Native – there’s a lot of really serious issues with how Peter Pan represents natives in its written roots and the Disney film (and in the most recent live action adaptation!). It’s important to do plenty of research on the cultures you’d like to represent so that you can avoid perpetuating those kinds things! Especially considering that there are hundreds of tribes in the United States alone, and each is incredibly diverse.

What about Tiger Lily inspires you? I am not seeing a great deal of influence on Lilium other than her appearance and namesake, but I think she could certainly benefit from a look at specific sources if you’d like to go that route. That being said, Lilium’s personality is strong and stands on its own! As the reference stands, I’m a touch concerned. You’ve only linked me one plains style dress, which I reverse searched and had a hell of a time sourcing because it’s typically only referred to as a “native american dress” (again, there’s a long history of lumping tribes together). Here is a good source for this item that gives more information! [x]  

Sypon
Vice Captain

Sypon
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:21 pm
It doesn't appear that you have incorporated my feedback, and my main concern about Lilium's design has yet to be answered. Please do so before you submit her again.  
Application Quests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games