PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:02 pm
User Image
Name: Karrem Pantay

(Care-em Pant-ey)

Karrem= “fly” in Albanian shortened

Pantay= even/level in Filipino

Blood colour: ✖✖✖ #9B9F14

Symbol: fly

Personality: Karrem is a very passionate troll. When she gets devoted to something, she attempts to drag everyone else into it, as well. She is also incredibly skeptical- skepticism and passion mixing, as one would expect, leads to ludicrous thinking. Karrem is convinced that the threat otherworldly life poses is ever present and has committed her life to informing others of the danger! Karrem's fear of a potential alien takeover traces back to a simple bout of skeptical overthinking. She realized if trolls take over other planets, species from other planets can take over Alternia, or even rebel and come to Alternia for revenge! Devout to these beliefs, Karrem feels as though she is willing to risk life and limb just to spread the word. Karrem has attempted to publicly educate people multiple times; even taking the measure of tying miniature UFO models to her horns in the hopes that trolls would inquire about the peculiar ornaments. She is hard to communicate with because she somehow manages to twist any conversation into a discussion about the dangerous truth that space holds. Karrem has a collection of models, posters, and general wares involving the subject of planetary aliens decorating her hive. Though most of them are incredibly cheesy, she also owns many movies about such beings and their potential Alternia takeovers for research purposes.

However, as a lowblood, it’s incredibly dangerous for Karrem to draw attention to herself. Despite being moderately aware of this, Karrem still goes out in public to rant about the alien absurdities she has thought up in an attempt to spread urgency regarding the issue to other trolls and to perhaps recruit trolls who feel as strongly as her and want to help the cause. Even though trolls may be aware of otherworldly life, the majority doesn't seem to view it as the horrible threat it truly is! Her lusus attempts to discourage her from attempting these dangerous and foolish endeavors, but Karrem is still too naïve to understand just how vital respecting the hemospectrum is to her safety. Though she does know that the hemospectrum affects her negatively, she currently only holds an indifferent stance on it. She doesn’t really see why the rebels make such a fuss because she hasn’t experienced anything extremely negative regarding the hemospectrum yet. Her lusus can only hope she’ll learn her lesson before it gets her into serious trouble.

Donned in the most professional apparel known to exist- slacks, loafers, and a bowtie- Karrem considers herself to be the epitome of business-like class. Thinking of herself as incredibly mature for her age, she has already begun to build up quite the ego! Because of this she has started becoming somewhat controlling of others, feeling as though the inferior need to be guided into a more efficient way of thinking and living. This can be both harmful and helpful to her. In the positive sense, it could serve as a defense mechanism to handle her lowblood status by using a powerful, threatening, boss-like attitude to control others and make them feel the need to abide by her word, even those of a higher blood color. On the negative end, it could result in a highblood thinking she was far too haughty for her social status and culling her.

Strengths:

✖Devoted- Karrem will take as much effort and time as a task requires in order to bring it to a conclusion. She will never drop something partially done. Her dedication and passion combined make her very productive and helpful when there is work that needs to be done. Karrem will only accept the highest standard she is capable of to be produced!

✖Assertive- Karrem’s confident, commanding personality works to her advantage more often than not. Showing great potential of excellent yet manipulative leadership tactics, Karrem can manage to direct anyone if she’s thinking tactically. Though she hasn’t used this skill to its full potential and instead comes off as domineering a lot of the time, it can still prove useful in tough times. When a group is in disarray, Karrem could help them regain order through her confident commands and demeanor.

Flaws:

✖ Skeptical- Karrem is an incredibly skeptical troll, and planting the smallest seed of doubt on her can lead to her developing the most ridiculous theories. She will be over-analytical of every little thing she hears, resulting in a train of thought that may take her to an absurd accusation. This dissolves into constant trust issues and anxiety regarding those around her and the intent of their actions.

✖Conceited- Karrem thinks incredibly highly of herself, believing the way she dresses and acts to be incredibly professional and that she’s intellectually above those her age. She has a tendency to act stuck-up around trolls her age that she considers mentally inferior. Because she believes she’s more deft than most, she may attempt to boss around other trolls like it’s her job to improve them. This large ego of hers could net her into a world of trouble if she expressed it to the wrong troll.

Weapon: Karrem wields a double-sided rhythmic ribbon with spiked ends that can split into two. She can whip the point end to slash at or stab her opponent or she can seize them by binding them in the ribbons. Strangulation also works if she can get a good hold on her enemy. This weapon is perfect for Karrem because it requires elegance and skillful movements instead of strength.

Appearance: Karrem has flat-cut bangs partially covering her eyes and hair that reaches the bottom of her ears and fluffs out on the sides. She has a mole on the left side of her chin. Her horns jut out at the upper sides of her head and hook down and around, resembling her lusus’s antennae. Her outfit consists of a bowtie the color of her blood, gray slacks coming over her chest with her symbol on either pocket, gray loafers, and a small UFO model tied onto the hook of each horn. Her teeth are flat. She typically wears a smug expression on her face.

Home: Karrem lives near a lake because such an environment is ideal for her crane fly lusus. Her hive has a sleek octagonal structure. It is only one story. The door has a flap on the top for her lusus to fly in and out of. There is one window on each side of the octagon. On the inside, it looks like a trim lab setup, with a setup of two white counters against all eight walls and one chair perfectly centered at each counter. There are trash bins next to all the counters to ensure organization is fully executed. Each counter is a research station devoted to a certain form of study. In the middle of each two counters hangs a light with a hood resembling the design of a spacecraft. Every side of the octagon has two posters revolving around extraterrestrial life perfectly aligned with the counters. In the center of the octagon are four filing cabinets, each facing out towards the center sides of the octagon, surrounding her recuperacoon. She has to squeeze in between the cabinets to access it.

Lusus: Karrem’s lusus is a crane fly that’s about the size of a monkey. Its antennae are enlarged and curled similar to how Karrem’s horns are shaped. Karrem refers to her lusus as her susus (soos-soos), rooting from a simple mispronunciation from her childhood that she decided she preferred because it was a palindrome. It spends most of its time around or on the lake near Karrem’s hive, occasionally flying in to check on Karrem. Karrem was at first disappointed that her lusus was so small and weak, but they have now developed a very solid mother-daughter relationship. Though her lusus isn’t the best at combat, it has a hard exoskeletal shell that is excellent for defense. She acts as a shield for Karrem whenever she’s in danger. She is also incredibly deft and works to swiftly avoid or pull Karrem out of peril. Her lusus tries to offer as much emotional support to Karrem as possible, bothering Karrem when she has overworked herself so she will rest and gladly being there for her in any emotionally straining situation she may find herself in. Karrem has grown to require her lusus’s support and presence in her life. Hating not being in full control of herself and having to depend on her lusus, she has started to discourage her lusus's attempts to defend her. She insists she can fight on her own, defending herself more strategically and effectively than her lusus could even though her lusus was built for defense. Despite this, her lusus is still persistent to fly to her rescue whenever she feels there is danger nearby.

Power: N/A  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:09 am
I love the hornaments.

What I’m most curious about is how Karrem feels about the fact that trolls are, in fact, one of those invasive alien species that take over foreign planets, with their own intergalactic empire and everything. In the context of Hivestuck lore, the empire was dissolved during the chaos that ensued when the former empress was killed a while back. Still, troll society is very proud of their planet-conquering! Does Karrem have any feelings about this?

That’s… that’s actually the only thing I could think of to ask. Karrem is an excellent character and every character tidbit (her bizarrely intricate hive configuration, susus) has me cooing in endearment. Good job!!  

seekingCylem
Crew

Ice-Cold Cultist

9,875 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hygienic 200

debinoresu

Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:20 am
seekingCylem
I love the hornaments.

What I’m most curious about is how Karrem feels about the fact that trolls are, in fact, one of those invasive alien species that take over foreign planets, with their own intergalactic empire and everything. In the context of Hivestuck lore, the empire was dissolved during the chaos that ensued when the former empress was killed a while back. Still, troll society is very proud of their planet-conquering! Does Karrem have any feelings about this?

That’s… that’s actually the only thing I could think of to ask. Karrem is an excellent character and every character tidbit (her bizarrely intricate hive configuration, susus) has me cooing in endearment. Good job!!

i actually have thought abt that myself, but really we can sorta equate it to human behavior as well? i;e we view the conquering of a section of land an achievement for us but fear our own land being raided! her fear of otherworldly beings is a fear for all of trollkind and her research is for the success and safety of trollkind- planet conquering is an act of success for trollkind, so she supports it! i didnt think to add that in there, but i will if you think i should.

also thank you, im really glad you like her!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:33 am
debinoresu
seekingCylem
I love the hornaments.

i actually have thought abt that myself, but really we can sorta equate it to human behavior as well? i;e we view the conquering of a section of land an achievement for us but fear our own land being raided! her fear of otherworldly beings is a fear for all of trollkind and her research is for the success and safety of trollkind- planet conquering is an act of success for trollkind, so she supports it! i didnt think to add that in there, but i will if you think i should.

also thank you, im really glad you like her!!

-piggybacks on this comment-

Is Karrem's view of extra-terrestrials attacking more based on others not believing in alien life and the prospect of an attack, or bemoaning the lack of preparation and drive to get into space/defend from the invaders? It seems like that may be something that Alternians are aware of (rather than on Earth where it simply doesn't seem like a possibility), so does that come into play at all?

I think the answers to these questions would be good to add into the personality section! Coverin' the bases.

Also, I also am so endeared by Karrem. What a cute.  

Sypon
Vice Captain

debinoresu

Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:46 am
Sypon

-piggybacks on this comment-

Is Karrem's view of extra-terrestrials attacking more based on others not believing in alien life and the prospect of an attack, or bemoaning the lack of preparation and drive to get into space/defend from the invaders? It seems like that may be something that Alternians are aware of (rather than on Earth where it simply doesn't seem like a possibility), so does that come into play at all?

I think the answers to these questions would be good to add into the personality section! Coverin' the bases.

Also, I also am so endeared by Karrem. What a cute.

its moreso based on others not really viewing it as an urgent top priority threat- though other trolls may be aware of the extraterrestrial life, the thought of them conquering alternia feels incredibly farfetched, considering trolls are always the conquerer- when youre on top you can get a little mighty and not really consider the threat that what youre usually attacking and taking over can pose. in informing people it is an active and serious threat she is simultaneously hoping to recruit others who believe the same as her with the same amount of urgency! i will add that to her profile in the morning tho bc im on mobile rn and typing on mobile is a chore haha,,

and tysm for the compliments!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:58 am
Sounds good to me! Go ahead and resubmit her to the queue when you have a chance to add the information. emotion_omnomnom  

Sypon
Vice Captain

debinoresu

Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:54 pm
edit in red! hopefully thats enough, apologies if you wanted more;;  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:55 am
Heya! For Korrim's art, I'll only be putting her fly symbol down once for kid/teen stage, just to make it clear that it's not 'two flies'.

Korrim's hex actually falls into greenblood for our store, so if you'd like to make it more yellow and retain lowblood status please make that fix! (Alternatively, she'd be considered/listed/treated as a greenblood)

I'd also like to say that you/Korrim doesn't need to worry too much about attracting attention. If she's ambitious and wants to go somewhere, positive attention is always good! As long as she's not spreading anti-hemospectrum or anti-monarchy 'propaganda', she won't be in any real trouble. Though if she annoys other trolls, that's another story entirely.

Quote:
Karrem has grown to require her lusus’s support and presence in her life, so she discourages her lusus’s attempts to physically defend her, insisting she can fight on her own, defending herself more strategically and effectively than her lusus could even though her lusus was built for defense.

Does this mean that Karrem is aware of her dependancy and wants to break it? (Also I'd throw in a period somewhere in this sentence, it's a lil long)

Finally, how did Karrem get her obsession with aliens? Was it via her lusus, or does Soosoos disapprove? Was it from too many science fiction movies at a too young age? Is it from reflecting on the fall of the empire, and threats of revenge from conquered planets? Or did it all come to her in a dreaam~

That's all I've got! You've faced the trio of crit bosses, defeat this last round to win an acceptance.  

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

debinoresu

Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:20 pm
amicableAggressor
Heya! For Korrim's art, I'll only be putting her fly symbol down once for kid/teen stage, just to make it clear that it's not 'two flies'.

Korrim's hex actually falls into greenblood for our store, so if you'd like to make it more yellow and retain lowblood status please make that fix! (Alternatively, she'd be considered/listed/treated as a greenblood)

I'd also like to say that you/Korrim doesn't need to worry too much about attracting attention. If she's ambitious and wants to go somewhere, positive attention is always good! As long as she's not spreading anti-hemospectrum or anti-monarchy 'propaganda', she won't be in any real trouble. Though if she annoys other trolls, that's another story entirely.

Quote:
Karrem has grown to require her lusus’s support and presence in her life, so she discourages her lusus’s attempts to physically defend her, insisting she can fight on her own, defending herself more strategically and effectively than her lusus could even though her lusus was built for defense.

Does this mean that Karrem is aware of her dependancy and wants to break it? (Also I'd throw in a period somewhere in this sentence, it's a lil long)

Finally, how did Karrem get her obsession with aliens? Was it via her lusus, or does Soosoos disapprove? Was it from too many science fiction movies at a too young age? Is it from reflecting on the fall of the empire, and threats of revenge from conquered planets? Or did it all come to her in a dreaam~

That's all I've got! You've faced the trio of crit bosses, defeat this last round to win an acceptance.

alright, i understand. shes really heavy about symmetry which is why its designed like that but its not like a necessity of hers when shes younger so thats fine!

blood changed.

yes, it is an attempt to break the dependency bc she's all about being in control, including being in control of herself. sentence edited to include why she discourages her lusus's behavior and to fix the length. edit in red!

her susus actually approves of her interest because its something she can safely invest herself in within her hive. susus only discourages her ranting about it in public. her obsession came from her overthinking things- she took note of trolls capturing other planets, then realized that means species on other planets have the same ability to capture alternia or perhaps come back for revenge and started obsessively researching the subject in an attempt to cease her worries, but instead her research of alien life just made her more worried and obsessed, and it eventually developed into her prime interest! i have added this to her profile- addition in blue.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:33 pm
perfect, thank you! if you'd like symmetry, i can put her symbol in the centre of her pantsie rather than on a pocket.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

Application Quests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas