Welcome to Gaia! ::

Realm of the B'alam

Back to Guilds

A roleplaying and services hub for Realm of the B'alam. 

Reply [ Archives ] The Dusty Tomes
Winner page 1! Idol Contest (Alurmam x Kraushluz)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Geyser Eelborn

Sergeant Hellraiser

24,625 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:12 pm
User Image

Blagak na Kalen!

The future has arrived! Kraushluz and Alurmam of Prauta Fos have been blessed with cubs--one of whom still needs a home. That's where you--hopefully--come in.

User Image
Prauta Fos are a band of fearsome mercenaries who believe in the three virtues of courage, respect, and camaraderie. You can read more about them here. Currently, they're a small family living in a hollow in an oak forest--Uncle Rafdachel, Alurmam and her two adopted siblings, and Kraushluz, an interloping singer and storyteller, makes five.

Or rather, nine after he successfully wooed Alurmam after much effort. They're both still a little stunned, and since these are the first idols they've ever seen, Alurmam has been racing for an explanation.

Their cubs will be raised within the band, taught self-defense, expected to care for each other, and challenged constantly. They will be raised on songs from their father and on myths from their mother. Prauta Fos is in its infancy; this is the time when the traditions and legends of the clan will be formed. When they come of age, they will undergo a ceremony where they must face their worst fears--and become fully-fledged members of Prauta Fos. Still interested? Read on!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:38 pm
User Image

This is the gal you'll be competing for. She is the youngest sibling--and the youngest member of the extended clan.

User Image

User Image
Relationship: Mother
Name: Alurmam
Language/Meaning: Homebrew orcish / fire flower
Afraid of: Swimming
Personality: Alurmam is compassionate, but rather odd. Besides just being a pyromaniac, she sees the world in a completely different way from everyone else. It makes her uniquely suited to being the clan’s shaman. She is the one who tells the stories that will be the clan’s myths; the stories she raises you and your siblings on will be the tales passed down from generation to generation to explain what the world is and how it came to be. She hates theft and will be angry if she catches any of it going on.

User Image
Relationship: Father
Name: Kraushluz
Language/Meaning: Homebrew orcish / brave leaf
Afraid of: Fish, the future
Personality: Kraushluz is an utter romantic, preferring stories with happy endings and stories about true love. He hates it when a story has no end, and he hates a lack of closure. He enjoys making up words and will probably try to teach you and your siblings how to sing at some point. He has a deep voice.

User Image
Relationship: Older sister (eldest) Played by Ice_Dragon_Demon
Name: Ruthalur
Language/Meaning: Homebrew orcish / wildfire
Afraid of: ???
Personality: ???

User Image
Relationship: Older brother (second-eldest)
Name: Ogrul
Language/Meaning: Homebrew orcish / firelight
Afraid of: Getting poisoned

User Image
Relationship: Older brother (third-eldest) Played by GunSniper
Name: Uruk’Ghash
Language/Meaning: Tolkien Orcish (Black Speech) / orc fire
Afraid of:

User Image
Relationship: Uncle on Mom’s side (younger sworn-brother)
Name: Kuldruch
Language/Meaning: Homebrew orcish / over-eager
Afraid of: Getting a loved one badly hurt by his trouble (botched responsibility), being abandoned
Personality: Kuldruch is reckless, rambunctious, and wild. He loves getting into trouble, but hates getting someone else into trouble. He prefers fighting for people who can’t fight for themselves—the little people, the under dogs. He will probably alternate between spending time with you and your siblings and staying away from you all for fear of hurting any of you.

User Image
Relationship: Aunt on Mom’s side
Name: Kadlazan
Language/Meaning: Homebrew orcish / many skulls
Afraid of: Heights
Personality: Kadlazan is Alurmam’s younger sworn-sister, newly arrived in the family. She has big hopes and dreams for the clan, as well as a dislike for Wind Tribe after one of them stole something from her. She will be the one who turns Prauta Fos into a colony proper with traditions or beliefs. She will be spending a lot of time with you and your siblings to get to know you. She will probably be teaching you how to climb trees and challenging you to games and adventures. She’s not that much older than you, so she won’t have much chance to lord it over you, either.

User Image
Relationship: Great-Uncle on Mom’s side
Name: Rafdachel
Language/Meaning: Homebrew orcish / summer haze
Afraid of: Tight spaces
Personality: Rafdachel is grumpy, sarcastic, and sardonic, apt to tell people that they’re being nincompoops while rolling his eyes. As their resident crafter, he makes all sorts of things, from baskets to jewelry, and he might be convinced to make you and your siblings some toys. He’ll be the grumpy guts telling you to stop doing stupid things.

Geyser Eelborn

Sergeant Hellraiser

24,625 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Dragon Master 50

Geyser Eelborn

Sergeant Hellraiser

24,625 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:59 pm
User Image

It’s another personality/name contest! Sorry, I’m kind of a sucker for those. But since this is a colony in the making, I’ll put a bit more here—and yes, there are a couple quiz questions. Just to make sure you read through the info.

User Image
  • Be nice. Don’t be hurtful or mean, don’t discourage people from entering, don’t cheat, don’t, in general, behave badly. That’s for the characters to do.
  • Names should be in orcish:
    Tolkien
    World of Warcraft
    Tibia MMORPG
    Shadowclan

Or just hit me up for a translation, or just pick a name that sounds generically orcish! I normally don’t insist on things like that, but in-character, that’s the sort of name she’d get.
  • She must stay within Prauta Fos! We’re trying to build a colony here, after all. xP
  • Prauta Fos may be full of orcs, but they’re not evil—that’s not really a rule, just a side note!

Begins: Monday, April 27, 2015 at 8:00PM Pacific time (around the time this gets posted)
Ends: Sunday, May 3rd, 2015 at 11:59PM Pacific time

[color=darkorange][size=14][b]I wanna burn![/b][/size][/color]
[b]Username[/b]:
[b]Idol’s Name[/b]:
[b]Language/Meaning[/b]:
[b]Afraid of[/b]:
[b]Why is it important for her to be afraid of something?[/b]
[b]Personality[/b]:
[b]Any plot ideas?[/b] such as what you’d like her to do when she grows up, adventures, rivalries, relationships, etc.

[b]What is one thing you should absolutely never do in front of Mother?[/b]

[b]Any suggestions for traditions, holidays, beliefs, symbols, etc?[/b]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:00 pm
GO WILD!

Geyser Eelborn

Sergeant Hellraiser

24,625 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Dragon Master 50

Ctrl F Greenie

Colorful Waffles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:02 am
EDITED - added in personality - I wanna burn!
Username: Greenie EA
Idol’s Name: Shakathsi
Language/Meaning: Tolkien / Craft
Afraid of: Lakes
Why is it important for her to be afraid of something? When the cubs are of age they must come to face their worst fears in a ceremony to become full members.
Personality: As a young cub and even into her young adult years Shakathsi will be curious and pushy. Her mind will never be sated with simple answers as she will want to know the bigger picture. That bigger picture will be a goal of hers, she may want to travel and get to know many faces/many places, but family is her all. Shakathsi will want to flourish for her home, become the best that she can be. Unfortunately determination may lead her down paths that will likely be less than desired, but the chances are is that she won't see it that way. Instead she may naively leap forward instead of taking a cautious step.

Any plot ideas? I would love for Shakathsi to begin learning crafting under her Great-Uncle. I think her fears may not be of the Lake itself, but perhaps the darkest parts of the Lakes. During her ceremony I think it'd be interesting for her to find some amazing crafting item at the bottom of a Lake that would aid in overcoming her fear and ultimately allowing her to become a full fledged member.

What is one thing you should absolutely never do in front of Mother? Theft!

Any suggestions for traditions, holidays, beliefs, symbols, etc? I am still pondering an idea to present, I'm still learning about the Balam themselves. Though I believe there could easily be room for a ceremony regarding Death.

Death Ceremony: Due to how close knit this group is it would be no surprise that there would be some kind of ceremony to celebrate their dead. Those dead members were once fighting along side, saving lives and making history!

I don't know how the ceremony might go about, could simply be a small monument of things they liked and objects that had been close to them. Perhaps the living loved ones could bear tokens in the dead individuals honor? Just a thought!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:58 am
I wanna burn!
Username: BastetAmun
Idol’s Name: Mauzur'Thauk
Language/Meaning: Tolkien/Cruel dagger
Afraid of: Family being hurt, being too weak to fight or protect someone, Spiders
Why is it important for her to be afraid of something? When the Cubs come of age they have to face their fears in a ceremony.
Personality: Mauzur'Thauk is determined to prove herself as a fighter to the rest of her family. Being the youngest, she feels like she has a lot to prove. Stubborn and hard headed, Mauzur doesn't quit when things are stacked against her, she preservers and does her best to fight and overcome everything. One of quick wit and a sharp tongue, Mauzur is very blunt and forthcoming about things, she doesn't seem to understand how to be subtle when speaking about, delicate subjects. She is quick to anger as well as hold grudges against those who harm here.
Any plot ideas? Family RP, maybe having some rivals or competition between the siblings, if they are going for the same faction.

She needs to learn how to focus her anger when she is fighting, so perhaps something that forces her to do that.

Her anger will more then likely get her into trouble, if a family member is involved it might make it better, she'd have to use her quick wit to get them out of trouble.

A rival would be the best person for her to fall for and find as her other side.

What is one thing you should absolutely never do in front of Mother? steal something

Any suggestions for traditions, holidays, beliefs, symbols, etc? Not that I can think of.  

BastetAmun

Feral Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trick or Treat 100

ChaosTheories

Obsessive Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 am
I wanna burn!
Username: ChaosTheories
Idol’s Name: Zemarbal
Language/Meaning: Mash of Tolkien Orcish meaning "heart fire"
Afraid of: Being alone, passing out
Why is it important for her to be afraid of something? Cubs must participate in the Fear-Slaying once they come of age.

Personality: Zemarbal may be an Earth B'alam, but her inner fire can rival even that of the hottest Fire B'alam. She is passionate, honest, and forthcoming, so she is always ready to voice her opinions or lend a paw when she is needed. She is always herself to the truest sense, even if others may not approve of her actions. This may cause a lot of friction down the road but she isn't afraid to solve her problems with teeth and claws if she has to.

Zemarbal needs to be around other B'alam to thrive. It brings her comfort to know what is going on and what everyone is doing, to the point that she may seem paranoid. If she doesn't know something, she will go pester others until she gets the information she wants. She is confident and bold as long as she is united with the colony; the more she must depend on herself, the more self-conscious she gets.

Any plot ideas?
Perhaps her family gives her a pet name such as 'Zee' and she hates it and insists everyone uses her full name or else. 8D

An injury or illness in the family/colony inspires her to learn healing craft. She becomes an experimenter of sorts... so she enlists a few (possibly naive) volunteers to help her out.

What is one thing you should absolutely never do in front of Mother? Steal something. >>

Any suggestions for traditions, holidays, beliefs, symbols, etc? Perhaps an annual holiday that brings all the factions together to show off their particular strengths and reinforces colony bonds.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:05 pm
I wanna burn!
Username: WithMurderTonight
Idol’s Name: Vorbat Kishaulus
Language/Meaning: Tolkien / Blind Advisor
Afraid of: Making the wrong choice and sickness
Why is it important for her to be afraid of something? So she can take on her fear in the coming-of-age ceremony, The Fear-Slaying
Personality: Though as energetic as any other cub around, Vorbat tries to use it for helping others in anyway she can. She is often too friendly with people as she always wants to gain their trust. She is often the most level-headed cub among her siblings and rarely loses her temper choosing to contain any anger to diffuse tensions as much as she can.
Any plot ideas? Vorbat wishes to become the Kraglaik, though Vorbat has no idea if she can ever gain the trust of her fellow kagla. She is also excited about the prospects of becoming a warrior one day to be of use. She does not wish to become a singer like her father though she has the voice for it. She does think the skill is useful but not truly her thing.

What is one thing you should absolutely never do in front of Mother? Thievery

Any suggestions for traditions, holidays, beliefs, symbols, etc? I tried to think of some but nothing good came to mind other than some religious festival for the god(s). I'm just not too familiar [yet] with the [possible] gods that might exist on the outside of Prauta Fos and influence it.  

WithMurderTonight

Invisible Seeker

Rosencranz

Devoted Husband

13,950 Points
  • Married 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:21 pm
I wanna burn!
Username: Rosencranz
Idol’s Name: Tem'Flak
Language/Meaning: Black Speech / Copper Flame
Afraid of: Not being able to save someone in time, Snakes
Why is it important for her to be afraid of something? She will face her worst fears in a coming of age test to determine if she is a full member of the clan or not.
Personality: Tem'Flak is a very caring, compassionate, passionate young cub. She is not afraid to show her feelings for someone, nor to stand up for them. She will do whatever she can to keep her family safe - this means the entire colony/clan, for she considers everyone as part of her family, no matter how old or young, blood related or not. Tam'flak greatly enjoys listening to her mother's stories, and has a tendency to sing them later on. She also loves listening to her father sing, and will not hesitate to belt out notes right alongside him. She enjoys playing with the other cubs, but has a hard time being rough with them, as she doesn't want to hurt anyone. She would rather use her fighting in defense than offense, darn near taking an oath against violence without actually swearing an oath.
Any plot ideas? I would love to see her as either a Healer or a Shaman, and would love to see the struggle of her decision as she goes along. It would be hard for her, as both factions help the tribe in great ways, ways in which she would love to participate in.
Having a mate is always a plot I'd love to see, maybe with someone whom she clashes with quite often, potentially a scout or other sort of fighter. She admires him for his bravery but constantly would try to convince him to find a life elsewhere, to swear off violence. Watching them butt heads for a while before realizing feelings for one another would be absolutely adorable.
Family roleplays are a must. Playing with her siblings, singing with her father, shadowing her mother, even shadowing her aunts and uncles. Anything and everything, I NEED THEM ALL <3

What is one thing you should absolutely never do in front of Mother? Steal. Mother doesn't like it...

Any suggestions for traditions, holidays, beliefs, symbols, etc? An event, whether held once a year, twice, once every few years, it can be hashed out. But a large event where each B'alam's prowess in their profession is shown, with contests and the like. Feats of strength, who can make the better ___ potion, who can tell the best story (Idunno how good that one is but...), and really any other type of event we can think up. Special "trophies" can be given out for the winner of each event, a "trophy" specified for that event that would tell ever other B'alam that they won ____ event. A tooth necklace for one, a string of a special sort of rock for another that they wear as a necklace, anklets, etc. I'm quite tired right now, but I can totally work with whoever on expanding this later on smile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:29 am
I wanna burn!
Username: Belloblossom
Idol’s Name: Zajar'Stuh
Language/Meaning: Tolkein/Fire Storm
Afraid of: Failure/disappointing her family, abandonment.
Why is it important for her to be afraid of something?
Personality:
Any plot ideas? such as what you’d like her to do when she grows up, adventures, rivalries, relationships, etc.

What is one thing you should absolutely never do in front of Mother?

Any suggestions for traditions, holidays, beliefs, symbols, etc?

((Voiding this entry. Good luck to the other participants!))  

belloblossom

Aged Shapeshifter

17,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Geyser Eelborn

Sergeant Hellraiser

24,625 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:45 pm
I swear to golly goodness, I am judging this xDDDD I've just come across a problem--I LOVE SO MANY ENTRIES! So yeah. xP  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:52 pm
Greenie EA

Okay, it was a tough contest to judge, but in the end, we have our winner! Thank you, everyone for participating and for all of the wonderful ideas!  

Geyser Eelborn

Sergeant Hellraiser

24,625 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Dragon Master 50

Ctrl F Greenie

Colorful Waffles

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:10 pm
Eeeeee 8D Thank you!!! My first baby Balam!! <3  
[ Archives ] The Dusty Tomes

Manage Your Items