xx I met my fate xx

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:49 pm
User Image

First of all I'd like to say that Kwanzaa is NOT a replacement for Christmas or any other winter holiday! You can absolutely celebrate both. What Kwanzaa is (If I'm not mistaken, please correct me if so!) Is a celebration of African American culture and the principals that people who celebrate this holiday believe in.

Kwanzaa was created in 1966 in L.A California. It was created as a means for African Americans to re-connect with roots and culture that they felt they were losing in modern American society. The holiday of Kwanzaa celebrates the following tenets:

Umoja (Unity)
Umoja (OO-MO-JAH) Unity stresses the importance of togetherness for the family and the community, which is reflected in the African saying, "I am We," or "I am because We are."

Kujichagulia (Self-Determination)
Kujichagulia (KOO-GEE-CHA-GOO-LEE-YAH) Self-Determination requires that we define our common interests and make decisions that are in the best interest of our family and community.

Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility)
Ujima (OO-GEE-MAH) Collective Work and Responsibility reminds us of our obligation to the past, present and future, and that we have a role to play in the community, society, and world.

Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics)
Ujamaa (OO-JAH-MAH) Cooperative economics emphasizes our collective economic strength and encourages us to meet common needs through mutual support.

Nia (Purpose)
Nia (NEE-YAH) Purpose encourages us to look within ourselves and to set personal goals that are beneficial to the community.

Kuumba (Creativity)
Kuumba (KOO-OOM-BAH) Creativity makes use of our creative energies to build and maintain a strong and vibrant community.

Imani (Faith)
Imani (EE-MAH-NEE) Faith focuses on honoring the best of our traditions, draws upon the best in ourselves, and helps us strive for a higher level of life for humankind, by affirming our self-worth and confidence in our ability to succeed and triumph in righteous struggle.

To Enter
Write a poem, short story, or essay describing what these principles mean to you. How do you celebrate these aspects of your life? You do not have to celebrate Kwanzaa to enter! All are welcome!

Have your entries ready by the first day of Kwanzaa (December 26th). The winning entry will receive 3billion gold and an item.* In addition all entries will receive an item.

*The prize may be raised or lowered depending upon the amount of entries!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:53 pm
Reserved
User Image
FIVE  

xx I met my fate xx

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Faerie KatrinaZ

Sparkly Fairy