Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
What should I expect as a college freshman?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Iunaeria

Timid Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:43 pm
I've just finished filling out all of the paperwork and have been accepted into my local community-turned-state college, which isn't an impressive feat since I'm pretty sure they accept just about anyone, but I am excited for my life to finally be getting back on track! c: I'm just getting an associates degree here before moving out of state to get my bachelors, but this will be my first semester in any college and I was just wondering what I should expect? What are the teachers like (in general), the other students, are there any specific things that one should know about college regardless of where they attend, etc.?

Also, if anyone is taking Physics, could you maybe give me an idea of what you're learning? I'm considering signing up for it, as the subject interests me, but I'm afraid it may be too difficult and it is very important to me that I get good grades!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:15 pm
Well, all colleges are different, but I'll try to help you out. I go to a private Christian college, so things might be a bit different.

Generally, professors tend to be very nice. They're all experts in their field, but some of them have no experience in actually teaching, which means how they present the information might be a bit weird. They do tend to constantly remind you about things and want you to succeed and so they're willing to help you as much as they can. My professors specifically are great because they get to know us on a personal level (which means deep stuff sometimes). Of course, my classes are small (my biggest class is 25), which makes it easier for them to do.

Other students tend to be pretty nice. Get to know the other people in your major, cause you'll see them like all the time.

Also, books. The bookstore is not the cheapest place. Amazon and Chegg are pretty awesome. My college has a Facebook group where we sell books directly to each other.

Don't worry too much about grades. Yeah, they're important, but why should level of difficulty get in the way of you learning about something you love? It just means you might have to work harder or get extra help. Don't be ashamed of that. There will never be a time in your life (except tests) where you can't look something up.  

a porg

Anxious Astronomer

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 pm
Expect everyone to be in class for the first day or couple of weeks, for attendance/FAFSA requirements, then for the hall to be near empty for the rest of the lectures, except when a big assignment is due, or during midterms and final exams. Expect lovely syllabi that will, in general, organize the course into manageable segments week by week (actually, don't expect this from every instructor - some will not provide a schedule to you). Expect to make friends quickly, then lose them just as fast as folks drop off the radar. Since you're in a community-state college you'll probably meet a variety of peers with different age, economic, race, and life experiences than your own - take advantage of this. Expect there to be one know it all in the class that cannot keep their mouth shut, and the dull one that will consistently interrupt the lecture with questions that have already been answered five minutes ago. Expect older instructors to struggle with the newer classroom technology and take up to 10 minutes (or more) of class time trying to figure it out, always dismissing assistance from more tech-savvy students. Expect to do poorly on your first quiz or essay - that's ok, you'll improve. Expect to spend two-three hours per one hour of classroom time studying (this is honest to god truth, especially since you care about grades). Expect other freshmen to behave like idiots and flunk out their first year - ignore them, make friends with the upperclassmen that will admire your work ethic rather than try to tear it down (if you're not paying for your education someone else is, afterall). Worry about grades because if you don't your gpa will probably slip - those that say grades don't matter probably don't have to worry about scholarships/financial aid reliant on academic performance (as well as financial need). Obviously being involved on campus and in the community, including at work and relevant internships/volunteering, matters just as well.

What helps me stay organized and on top of things is a list, or a sort of mass syllabus that combines all of the course due dates onto one easy to read paper. I do this week to week but I've known others who make one day to day or month to month. I check off to-dos as I go along, and also keep the original course syllabuses together to refer to. An example (not terribly full of to-dos yet, & sorry for the horrendous handwriting) of the first week of this term:
Courses on the left hand column, to-dos in the middle, and dates due on the right

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Articles like this help, too

29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff