Submit

allmostanyone

Dangerous Friend

19,400 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:27 pm
I don't like receiving help, there are some small exceptions but this is the case with most people and most things.
My mom is a really good artist and writer so going to her for help with such things should be a no-brainer. Early on I stopped asking my mom for help with school art projects and then in college my sisters had her read and help them with their essies, I can't think of a single time in which I asked her for help. My mom likes helping out and has brought it to my attention in a playful-hurtful tone. I just don't like it, not from her or anyone, I rarely get their opinions when I'm working on projects whether they are for class or personal. Most recently I was fixing up one of my cosplays and as usual I do it all on my own. I was dying a skirt on the stove when my sister who is way more into cosplay then me comes by me and asks "What are you doing?" I can't stand this question.... partly because I think "You see material in a pot of yellow water, what could you think I be doing?" And the other parts is my not-liking-people-to-know-about-my-projects attitude. I snapped back "Finishing my stuff /low grumble." She walked away upset, probably because she thought I answered that way because of an argument we had earlier but it wasn't. I'm also bothered that after 26 years they still haven't gotten this about me. Sometimes I think it stems from a fear that their help will be better than my work. For example in high/junior high school my biology teacher would ask why my sketches weren't as nice as my sister's, I wasn't to answer back with "because she is having our mom do them, you're giving her grades for our mom's work" I've grown out of that and now I simply like the satisfaction of doing my own work till the very last detail. I like my secrecy as well, they don't understand why I can't at least tell them about my projects, and to this I actually have a reason. It is because I fear getting others interested or excited about something and then never finishing it, and so I don't make things known till they are done. I feel I work best this way, less interference maybe? less chance of doubting my decision if I don't more than my own input maybe?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:16 am
You don't like asking for help?
I get anxiety when I have to, so I don't
I don't know how to break it, either
I also have a habit of keeping quiet when I should speak up, with the occasional vice versa  

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

Rushed xx

Distinct Partygoer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:42 pm
allmostanyone

it's not your fault that you're independent.
it's not too independent, either.
everybody has their own comfort level & yours is by yourself in that aspect.
It represents confidence & knowledge in a sense...
Have you told them your situation? that it's not your nature to ask?
If you tell them that youre only doing what you think is right & feel comfortable with, i'm sure they'll get the hint.

your mom also probabaly gets a little hurt because, well, she is your mom & she probabaly feels like she should be able to help in some way or should be & feels almost unneeded.

maybe once in a while you should just ask them "how does this look" or "Do you like it" kind of questions to show them youre not completely blocking them out, but still interested in their opnions & friendly with them!

<3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:55 am
t w a t t i
allmostanyone

it's not your fault that you're independent.
it's not too independent, either.
everybody has their own comfort level & yours is by yourself in that aspect.
It represents confidence & knowledge in a sense...
Have you told them your situation? that it's not your nature to ask?
If you tell them that youre only doing what you think is right & feel comfortable with, i'm sure they'll get the hint.

your mom also probabaly gets a little hurt because, well, she is your mom & she probabaly feels like she should be able to help in some way or should be & feels almost unneeded.

maybe once in a while you should just ask them "how does this look" or "Do you like it" kind of questions to show them youre not completely blocking them out, but still interested in their opnions & friendly with them!

<3

I feel like you've read my mind lol.

Basically, tell them how you feel, if you haven't.
And sometimes ask for help, so they'll feel useful. Or ask for input about something. Even if you really don't need help, or any input.  

eatorbitwrappers

6,975 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items