Reply ~.The Atheist Guild.~
Free Will

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Layra-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:08 pm
While you don't believe in God, you might still believe in free will. At least, you might not believe in determinism. Are you able to make choices, or is everything you do fixed in advance?
I personally believe in determinism, but I want to know what the rest of you think. The problem with determinism is that you can't really blame anyone for anything, because whatever they do, they can't help it; it's been determined for them.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:46 am
I believe in free will. People can make their own choices and if they make the wrong choice then that is their problem.  

Heterosexual Fa gg ot
Captain

VoodooPantheon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:48 pm
I believe everything has been pre-set, no not be another power, but by time.

Like, you go into the future, and what you did has already happened, and you cannot change it by going to the past, because that is how it happened in the first place...

If youve seen the third Harry Potter Movie thats th best way I can demonstrate it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:17 am
free willl exists but some stuff, like the major stuff was preset. its called destiny  

duckijffpenifdheasds

Cloud0.0Strife

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:47 am
Well if we have free wills then we can have choices on what we do in life. But really there is only going to be one poutcome and we can't change that. When ever we have to make a choice we pick something and that is that no changing it. Or if we do then that was ment to happen as well as everything else.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:29 am
if there is a destany, then it must be set by a god figure... there is no other way, because whatever it must be must be powerful enough to know the future and powerful enough to make us follow the right path... that is pretty much a God  

agrab0ekim

CopycatVigilante

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:45 pm
I subscribe to the Multiverse theory, in which every decision we make, every moment that happens in each of our lives creates a new universe which leads off from that one decision or event. In which case, it's more of a free will deal than anything else. We're allowed to make our decisions, but everything that can happen, will happen. We may not see it, as it may not happen in the universe "we" inhabit, but it definitely happened in one that spawned from an alternative course stemming from the decision or event.

So yeah, in one universe, I'll die for writing this because some religious zealot will find me for it and kill me. But uh... I hope that doesn't happen here, cause that would not be cool.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:27 am
CopycatVigilante
I subscribe to the Multiverse theory, in which every decision we make, every moment that happens in each of our lives creates a new universe which leads off from that one decision or event. In which case, it's more of a free will deal than anything else. We're allowed to make our decisions, but everything that can happen, will happen. We may not see it, as it may not happen in the universe "we" inhabit, but it definitely happened in one that spawned from an alternative course stemming from the decision or event.

So yeah, in one universe, I'll die for writing this because some religious zealot will find me for it and kill me. But uh... I hope that doesn't happen here, cause that would not be cool.

that theory was created by Hienleinn, and he is my god

i like you now  

agrab0ekim

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:42 am
Predtermination is possable, but not with a "higher power's" influence. However, I'm not sure we're at a point where we can really say with any certainty that free will or destiny is likely. I give it another thousand years, and by then we should be getting close to answering that question.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:55 pm
I believe in reactionary determinism, I think that the universe is reacting to existance, and even though the chaos theory dosn't allow us to predict outcomes, I still think that everything that happens, did because it was the only thing that could happen.  

Goth^_^Pirate

xorflex

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:25 pm
I think that whether or not free will exists is irrelevant, as long as we
percieve that we are making choices then for all intents and purposes, we are  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:27 pm
also, I believe in cause and effect, that everything that happens did so
in occordance with physical laws.
I think that the entire history of the universe was pre-determined at the beginning (which to me is the big bang but you are of course free to believe in whatever cosmology you want)  

xorflex

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:47 am
I believe that set in stone is set in George bushes F****ing @$$.
Time is not a concept. There is no future nor present nor past for me.
Well, I am a supporter of the big bang theory. It's true, I believe the big bangs will happen again and again, seeing as how they form. We can't calculate how to interfere so it is inevitable. Wait, does this mean I.................................................... I'm totally confused, someone help me!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:59 am
To tell ya the truth, I wouldn't be surprised either way.  

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

~.The Atheist Guild.~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces