Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:03 am
How does everyone else feel about the new "Star Wars" space opera Trek
as filmed by Abrams,
versus the more pedestrian Trek we saw in TOS, TNG, etc and the other movies?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:07 am
There is no comparison. The new films are barely worthy of the name Star Trek (Into Darkness being the worse of the two). They are flashy action movies, that happen to have the name Star Trek attached to them.

And I actually liked the first of the reboots. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad either. But Into Darkness was just bad. It was a rehash of the first of the reboot movie, Wrath of Khan, and some Undiscovered Country. Without any character development (the characters seem to go through the same arcs as in the first movie, which is rather pointless) or depth to the story.

So yeah, all the old Star Trek all the way.  

USS_Galactica

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100

Curtis25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 am
I am a die hard red blooded fan of the old Trek. I loved TOS and TAS. Hated most of TNG. Loved DS9. Despised with every fiber of my being Voyager. And probably the only person I know that is a huge fan of Enterprise. That being said......

I found the 2009 film to be amazing. They had to do something different and take it in a new direction. The brand was getting stale and dying. In my opinion JJ did an amazing job "rebooting" it. (JJ always said it wasn't a reboot and technically he's right) I loved all the choices made for the actors with my favorite being Carl Urban playing Dr. McCoy. I love that they stuck with things that had already been established. Kirk cheating for example. And I also loved the new things. Spock and Uhura. (even though it was hinted at one point that Uhura may have had a crush on spock in one episode of TOS) the visuals where amazing and the story telling blew me away. is it better than TOS? maybe not but it was what had to be done.

Into Darkness I might use to wipe my a** if I ever ran out of toilet paper.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:27 am
Do you think the new rule will be the odd-numbered Trek movies are better
and the even-numbered movies will be hated?  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100

-I Mashed Banana
Queen l-

Greedy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:50 pm
Eh. Personally, I like both, but there is definitely a huge difference between the two. The New Trek is pretty action-y and kind of has more focus on the relationships between all of the characters/planets rather than the closer focus on the story and character plots in Old Trek.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:55 pm
Mashed Banana
Eh. Personally, I like both, but there is definitely a huge difference between the two. The New Trek is pretty action-y and kind of has more focus on the relationships between all of the characters/planets rather than the closer focus on the story and character plots in Old Trek.

The new one is definitely in Space Opera territory.
ST was beloved partly because of what it was NOT as much as what it WAS.
It was NOT Space Opera. We'd had space opera for decades with Flash
Gordon and other things, and the Star Wars saga.

I like space opera, but liked ST (and the original Battlestar Galactica)
because they were character-driven and not all nothing BUT action.
And this is coming from a diehard SW fan.  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers