Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Anyone have information on reflexology or holistic massage?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:07 pm
Hello all! Recently I've been trying to learn more on reflexology and holistic massage. I'm thinking that I might want to pursue some sort of career in these areas.

I don't have any professional training, so recently I looked into what I needed to do to be certified, and I learned a lot. One thing that became apparent to me, was that I would have to wait until after I finish college to try to gain a massage lisence, the programs I've found in the area are too intensive to do while also being a student full time.

So, in the mean time I've tried to look for good books/websites on the topic. I have had one major problem though. I really don't know where to begin this search. Does anyone know of any good basics material I could start off with?

((sorry if this is a repeat as I have posted it in more than one guild))  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:02 pm
Honestly- I am wondering what any of this has to do with Paganism.

These are serious professions and skills that one should be going to school for. If you're saying you'll have to wait until you finish college, and yet you want this as a profession, change your program from an AA or BA or whatever to that of a healthcare professional in the field you wish to practice- in this case, Massage of one form or another. Also note that if you are looking into Reflexology it is a skill based largely on the Trad Oriental Medicines- which you can get a degree in as well.  

TeaDidikai

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:37 pm
TeaDidikai
Honestly- I am wondering what any of this has to do with Paganism.

These are serious professions and skills that one should be going to school for. If you're saying you'll have to wait until you finish college, and yet you want this as a profession, change your program from an AA or BA or whatever to that of a healthcare professional in the field you wish to practice- in this case, Massage of one form or another. Also note that if you are looking into Reflexology it is a skill based largely on the Trad Oriental Medicines- which you can get a degree in as well.

I ask it here, because how I came to learn about these options and oppertunities through my reiki teacher and she has presented a lot of the material in a spiritual manner. Perhaps it doesn't belong in this forum and if that is true I appologize.

As a side note, I do know these are serious professions and skills that require lisencing before they can be practiced commerially, but as I stated, I do not know too much about them. I want to look at the basics of them before I make any especially drastic decisions.

Also I wany my undergraduate degree, because if it becomes nothing else for me it will be something I have to fall back on. I'm half way done with my undergrad degree, I'm not going to drop everything to run off and get ceritified in something I'm just beginning to explore While I have gone to talk to schools that can give me a liscense, I don't feel like I've gotten enough information. I've looked online and learned that I don't know enough about the field to do an independant search for more information. Naturally I thought I would throw out the question to see if I got any helpful clues  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:05 pm
I'll note that a Reiki practitioner cannot practice Reiki in most states without a PT license or an ordination.

If you want more information on becoming a massage therapist, I suggest you talk to professionals in the field or call your local college and get some literature from them.  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:27 pm
I have a couple of friends who are massage therapists. It is an interesting field to work in.

I appluad your staying the course in whatever degree you are pursuing. Make sure you take a lot of anatomy and human health courses, and maybe pick up a couple of community college courses in the area. We have them often. Its no where near professional-level, but they will help.

And gain muscles in your arms. Trust me.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:14 am
Also, if there are any local New Age COnventions, I'd recommend attending and meeting with a few of the Reflexologists. You could also look in the yellow pages and arrange short meetings with them, explaining you're interested in the field and want to learn more.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:52 pm
Deoridhe
Also, if there are any local New Age COnventions, I'd recommend attending and meeting with a few of the Reflexologists. You could also look in the yellow pages and arrange short meetings with them, explaining you're interested in the field and want to learn more.

The second choice is better than the first.

I've worked in the Healthcare field. Within non-Western medicine, you have two kinds of practitioners. The kinds that have a solid basis in the healing traditions and the kind that don't.

As a Reiki Master, I am always disturbed to see the lack of professionalism. It's like watching The Reiki Master from Oh My Gods! played out in real life.

When setting up interviews ask for the names of the schools they went to.

I'll grant you that not all of the Holistic Medicine Community is made up of flakes, but the percentage is high enough that the reaction from Emergancy Medicine Professionals is well earned.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games