DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:52 am
I've been using 1x3mm neodymium magnets for converting assorted things (turrets, weapons, etc) for some time now, but since starting to magnetize the arms for a Carnifex, I'm starting to think about other options. Has anybody tried using magnets of non-disc shapes, or combined magnets with steel bits or ball bearings?

Also general Magnetization discussion and tips.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:55 pm
For the Veterans arms I used all 1x3mm from arm to torso and then I used 1x2mm for their hands and weapons, a lot of the models have their hands attached to the weapon so you have to put a magnet in the wrist. That has been working out for me so far, I don't know if I would go any smaller then that either cause I wouldn't want to lose the power of the magnet. I have a lot of 3mm ones so I hope when I drop a lot of money on some Tau I can just use those >___>;;  

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:53 pm
Volan d Vol
For the Veterans arms I used all 1x3mm from arm to torso and then I used 1x2mm for their hands and weapons, a lot of the models have their hands attached to the weapon so you have to put a magnet in the wrist. That has been working out for me so far, I don't know if I would go any smaller then that either cause I wouldn't want to lose the power of the magnet. I have a lot of 3mm ones so I hope when I drop a lot of money on some Tau I can just use those >___>;;

Yeah, I've only used 1x3mm discs so far.

As for losing the power of the magnet, I found a nifty site that has a magnetic pull force calculator, as well as selling magnets in several different shapes and sizes. Maybe worth checking out? One thing I noticed was that the pull force was pretty much the same for magnet-to-steel as it was for magnet-to-magnet.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:00 pm
DarkElf27
Volan d Vol

As for losing the power of the magnet, I found a nifty site that has a magnetic pull force calculator, as well as selling magnets in several different shapes and sizes. Maybe worth checking out? One thing I noticed was that the pull force was pretty much the same for magnet-to-steel as it was for magnet-to-magnet.

I guess I'm mostly worried about less surface area, cause it wouldn't matter how strong the magnet is if it has less surface area there isn't enough to stick to, I probably should have put pins in the hands and just put the magnets in the wrists but eh...

I'm curious what kinds of stuff I'll run into with the Tau though, I figure the Battlesuits will all be fairly large so I can just use my 3mm ones.

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:02 pm
Volan d Vol
DarkElf27
Volan d Vol

I guess I'm mostly worried about less surface area, cause it wouldn't matter how strong the magnet is if it has less surface area there isn't enough to stick to, I probably should have put pins in the hands and just put the magnets in the wrists but eh...

I'm curious what kinds of stuff I'll run into with the Tau though, I figure the Battlesuits will all be fairly large so I can just use my 3mm ones.
I think the Battlesuits are a lot bigger and blockier, with plenty of space to drill in some magnets. If anything, they were probably designed for it, considering the number of weapons options available to them in various combinations.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:06 pm
DarkElf27
Volan d Vol
DarkElf27
Volan d Vol

I think the Battlesuits are a lot bigger and blockier, with plenty of space to drill in some magnets. If anything, they were probably designed for it, considering the number of weapons options available to them in various combinations.

After this Vanguard squad it'll be the last on my 2mm ones sadly so I hope so.  

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items