Submit

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:32 am
Not sure if any of you have read it or seen the trailers, but I wasn't all that impressed.

It was a good book, don't get me wrong. I did enjoy reading it. But once it was done, I didn't feel any great compelling need to continue on to read the other two books. It was good, but the author didn't sell the story enough for me to spend the price for the other two. Maybe the movie would be better. Movies usually fall short of the books, but maybe this one will be an exception to that rule.

But on the subject of the movie, I would like to give a short rant on the promotion posters.

Your main character in the book is a girl named Tris. Her romantic interest is the mysterious boy named Four. Her instructor when she joins the Dauntless faction. The poster shows both of them, as is to be expected. But Four is the one that is front and center on the poster while Tris is off center with her back to the viewer and showing off her a**. I find this to be in contradiction to the purpose of the book.

Tris was a strong willed and independent young woman. However, the way she is portrayed on the poster makes her appear to be a secondary character who's only purpose is to increase the movie's sex appeal. This bothers me greatly.

The book wasn't all that impressive, but it was still good book and perfectly capable of standing on its own without having to play-up the male character and sexualize the female.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:18 pm
Unfortunately that's par for the course for Hollywood. It makes it's money by objectifying people, especially the teen/preteen genre.

I have seen the books in the store but haven't read any of them. After the fiasco with the Eragon and the Twilight Trilogies I'm very burned when it comes to the young adult genre.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces