Submit

4v3nG3r

Dapper Genius

3,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:08 pm
I am getting back into Warhammer 40k after being out since the Spring Semester of college. Before I sold my previous Necron Army, I had them painted up in Chainmail, Tentacle Pink (Armor), Snot Green (Gun Tubes & Eyes), and Gold (Chest Symbol). This time around I really want to sit down and do an impressive yet somewhat simple paint scheme. I have a few in mind, but I cannot hit the right one for me. Nor do I really know what I want. I really want to get into painting this time because I have never really explored washes, highlighting, or dry-brushing techniques. It has always been just simple colors with no real effort.

I am hoping that someone can give me feedback on what they think is cool or what they have seen around the 40k tabletop side of things. I have seen some really cool schemes around the net, but just not one for me. Think I can get some help?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 am
What is it that you are looking for in your army? It's a bit hard to give advise on this when you don't have an inklink of what it is you want. xp

If looking to experiment with different painting techniques, go with an establised scheme first so you have a proper point of reference. A fast and effective (if somewhat boring) paint scheme would be to basecoat the model in Leadbelcher, give the model a wash of Nuln Oil (or Agrax Earthshade, as GW did to make the models look old and dirty), followed by a quick drybrush of Leadbelcher and an extreme highlight of Runefang Steel, mostly focusing on the raised parts and edges of the model for that extra bit of pop in the overall base colour. Then You can pick out details like the Gauss weapon in black with a quick highlight along the edges, dot the eyes in with a suitable eerie colour and if possible, pick out the chest symbol with a metallic.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:00 am
Using a single base color or two and then using washes for variety is one way to keep a scheme simple, but like Winnie said, it really comes down to your preferences for a place to start.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games