Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply It's A Girl Thing!
what's your opinion on the 'Paleolithic diet'?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bunni Clovers

Timid Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:39 pm
So my father has started the 'caveman diet' also known as the 'Paleolithic diet' and has been bugging me to get on it. The problem is that he isn't following it properly. I mean steak EVERY night come on! He's not following it properly, but even if he was this diet isn't good for him at his age. Personally I think it's a joke. I mean humans have evolved exponentially including our nutritional needs. What was good for our ancestors isn't necessarily good for us. And the 'Paleolithic diet' isn't all that accurate, our ancestors were eating small rodents and reptiles,mostly foraging for vegetation, they rarely got to eat red meat. This diet is terrible, cutting out all carbs is dumb. I mean the amount of vitamins and minerals you are missing out from eating whole grains and healthy dairy products, etc. isn't good. There are many other diets out there that make more sense. Anyways, what's your take on the 'Paleolithic diet'? Have you ever tried it and how did it work out for you?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:34 pm
if he's eating red meat as in raw meat, then yes, it's not good for him. eating cooked red meats is bad in the long run more so now because most people aren't as active. it's been a couple years since I've taken an anthropology class, but if my memory isn't spazzing out on me, people in paleolithic times could eat more of the red meat because they would burn through it. women were gatherers primarily, yes, but the men were hunting and highly active in order to find something, even small. they moved constantly to travel. so they were burning up a bit more for that and when it was cold, they burned through significantly more calories to maintain internal body temperature.

is it necessarily good? maybe, maybe not, but balance between what the body needs is what's best whether a person likes the idea of it or not. that's the problem with a lot of diets out there, they cut something out completely or will essentially starve themselves by eating only certain things that end up causing more problems than benefits in the long run. all of that aside, you are right. while steaks are delicious they shouldn't be eaten every night. good protein, not so good with some of the fat in it  

StrayKit

Bunni Clovers

Timid Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:00 pm
Oh no! He wouldn't eat it raw he grills it, but he smothers it in steak sauce. And he does work out a little bit, but not enough for the amount of red meat he's consuming. And your memory is good =] They could eat more because of how active they were and the difficulty it took in gathering what they ate. They fought to survive every day. I mean stalking and chasing down a 200lb+ animal took hours maybe even days. It's better to eat white meat mainly fish and poultry, still in minimum, but red meat should be a treat. I agree with you, a lot of diets cut out essential nutrients from so-called unhealthy/high calorie foods.And people don't realize that losing weight can be dangerous if they aren't taking vitamins, etc. for the foods they aren't eating. In my opinion diets will always fail, because they are usually short term quick fixes. To be really healthy you have to make it a habit of eating healthy as well as staying active.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:56 am
User Image User Image

Well... I've never really tried this kind of diet. But I do think I'd grow to hate after the second night. I mean, steaks are nice, but I just get too nauseous from eating too much of meat on consecutive days.
      I agree with you when you say that it is a dumb diet. Dieting means cutting down on ALL the different food groups. It won't really work if you just cut out all the carbs but scarf down tons of protein. For one, your body creates energy out of carbs and not really protein, so you'll tend to get weaker instead of getting stronger (as some might think since proteins are connected to muscles and being muscle-y means your very strong). As they say, too much of everything could be bad. One day, he's going to feel the effects of this diet.

User ImageUser Image

jiniistrawberii
Crew

Feral Fatcat

anonymous trickster

Devoted Rogue

11,050 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:27 am
mewpixy
So my father has started the 'caveman diet' also known as the 'Paleolithic diet' and has been bugging me to get on it. The problem is that he isn't following it properly. I mean steak EVERY night come on! He's not following it properly, but even if he was this diet isn't good for him at his age. Personally I think it's a joke. I mean humans have evolved exponentially including our nutritional needs. What was good for our ancestors isn't necessarily good for us. And the 'Paleolithic diet' isn't all that accurate, our ancestors were eating small rodents and reptiles,mostly foraging for vegetation, they rarely got to eat red meat. This diet is terrible, cutting out all carbs is dumb. I mean the amount of vitamins and minerals you are missing out from eating whole grains and healthy dairy products, etc. isn't good. There are many other diets out there that make more sense. Anyways, what's your take on the 'Paleolithic diet'? Have you ever tried it and how did it work out for you?

A high protein diet isn't healthy at all, it is actually going to make his blood and urine more acidic so he is going to off balance at a physical and molecular level because carbs are our major cellular fuel source. You should probably look some of the side effects and show them to him so he knows the risks of this diet.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:43 am
Louisa Iris
User Image User Image

Well... I've never really tried this kind of diet. But I do think I'd grow to hate after the second night. I mean, steaks are nice, but I just get too nauseous from eating too much of meat on consecutive days.
      I agree with you when you say that it is a dumb diet. Dieting means cutting down on ALL the different food groups. It won't really work if you just cut out all the carbs but scarf down tons of protein. For one, your body creates energy out of carbs and not really protein, so you'll tend to get weaker instead of getting stronger (as some might think since proteins are connected to muscles and being muscle-y means your very strong). As they say, too much of everything could be bad. One day, he's going to feel the effects of this diet.

User ImageUser Image

Yeah I like steak, but it's very filling, so I can't understand how he can eat so much every night. Even when I have steak I never eat the whole thing and he's eating 1 1/2. It's such a dumb diet omg, whoever thought of it should be slapped. Dieting is about cutting back on food that's low in nutrients, and taking in more food that's is. I can't comprehend why anyone would think this diet is good, your right he's definately going to get ill from this. I just hope he doesn't have a heart attack omg.  

Bunni Clovers

Timid Kitten

Bunni Clovers

Timid Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:52 am
anonymous trickster
mewpixy

A high protein diet isn't healthy at all, it is actually going to make his blood and urine more acidic so he is going to off balance at a physical and molecular level because carbs are our major cellular fuel source. You should probably look some of the side effects and show them to him so he knows the risks of this diet.

A molecular level? oh lord I'm really starting to worry. I'll talk with him, but he's so stubborn! What's worse is he's trying to get my mother and I on it. I know better, but my mother, I'll talk with her to make sure she doesn't. She already has health problems, so if she starts this diet it could really hurt her. I've had multiple nutrion/health classes so maybe they'll listen. This diet is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, it's like a made up thing they use in movies as a joke.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:17 pm
Let the man have his meat!

Seriously, leave him alone, he'll get tired of it and want variety eventually.

A high red-meat protein diet can be harmful especially if it's all he's eating but that's more in the long term. Doing it for a couple weeks or so is not going to kill him, humans are hardier than that.

And if a need for variety doesn't win him out, the constipation will.

If he's cooking everything, are you sure he's not following the Atkins Diet because the Paleo is supposed to be all raw is my understanding.

As for my thoughts on the Paleo Diet: Cutting carbs is actually pretty smart if you aren't burning them properly since unburned carbs turn into fat and protein curbs your appetite for longer periods so you eat less. Also, refined carbs like "enriched" white bread are very harmful too since they provide little to no vitamins or minerals. Many vegetables provide all the vitamins and minerals you need, you just need to eat them right, for instance don't boil anything unless you eat/drink the water it was boiled in and leave and eat the skin on potatoes and such. As far as cooking goes, many nutrients are lost or converted through the cooking process so going raw is pretty healthy but raw meats can make you sick from bacteria and parasites.

FYI: Small rodents are still red meat. Red meat isn't just cow meat it's any meat that is red in color before cooking which is most mammal meat, including rodents. Traditionally fish and reptile meats were not actually considered meat so they have no actual classification but some cuts like gator tail could be considered a red meat.  

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

FredesvindaTiburcio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:29 pm
Another fad diet; basically, a crunchy version of the Atkins diet (Atkins was THE diet in the late 90's/early 2000's).  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:28 am
mewpixy
anonymous trickster
mewpixy

A molecular level? oh lord I'm really starting to worry. I'll talk with him, but he's so stubborn! What's worse is he's trying to get my mother and I on it. I know better, but my mother, I'll talk with her to make sure she doesn't. She already has health problems, so if she starts this diet it could really hurt her. I've had multiple nutrion/health classes so maybe they'll listen. This diet is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, it's like a made up thing they use in movies as a joke.

I am sorry if I scared you! one of my friends wanted to get on this diet but when we were in our kinesiology class and learned more about it he backed out but yeah there are even more stupid diets out there just so the creators can make a quick buck and the majority don't work. If he wants to lose weight just tell him to eat at more times throughout the day but with smaller serving sizes and put an emphasis of fruits and vegies. I hope all goes well <3  

anonymous trickster

Devoted Rogue

11,050 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Brandisher 100

xoAniLuv

Dangerous Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:54 am
I've never tried it, but I have heard of it. The thing is, most people "do it wrong". Humans have evolved so that we can gain nutrients from such a variety of foods. It's one thing if you want to eat specially (Vegetarian, Vegan, Pescatarian), but that's because for the most part, you can afford that lifestyle. The cavemen back then ate what they could grasp, not what they could "afford" or because they felt like it. I feel that it's kind of a trend that people like to try out.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:00 pm
It's really easy to make fun of something and call it stupid if you do not actually understand what it is or misrepresent it. So far, y'all are talking about a variation on Atkins/no carb, not a paleo/primal diet. And OP, it sounds like your father is treating it like Atkins. He needs to do some further reading because he seems confused.

A paleo/primal approach removes grains, highly processed foods, and refined sugars from the diet. Some go as far as to remove all dairy, others are conscious to include only grass-fed dairy products if their systems find them agreeable. The backbone of a paleo/primal diet is leafy greens and veggies with (mostly) lean protein, nuts and seeds, healthy oils, and small amounts of fruit. Some find potatoes OK, others do not eat them. Again, it's based more on personal preference and how it makes each individual feel rather than set in stone "rules." It's about customizing what you eat for maximum well being and listening to what your body tells you it needs.

P/P stresses humanely treated food animals that eat their natural diets, as well as eating as locally as you can when able. It's really about being more conscious and aware of what it is you're eating and where it came from.

P/P is *not* removing all carbs, and it stresses that after heavy work outs you need to consume more, usually in the form of sweet potatoes. However, it does suggest--and I would argue correctly--that most of us are not active enough to warrant having so many carbohydrates in our diets...and we should be consuming them in vegetable plant form rather than flours and sugars. (If you're more active or still growing, they do not suggest restricting carbohydrates as drastically. Quite the opposite, they stress how important the increased carbohydrate consumption is for those groups.)

Yes. It sounds so laughable, doesn't it? How unreasonable! How silly! cat_wink  

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

jiniistrawberii
Crew

Feral Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:00 pm
mewpixy

Yeah I like steak, but it's very filling, so I can't understand how he can eat so much every night. Even when I have steak I never eat the whole thing and he's eating 1 1/2. It's such a dumb diet omg, whoever thought of it should be slapped. Dieting is about cutting back on food that's low in nutrients, and taking in more food that's is. I can't comprehend why anyone would think this diet is good, your right he's definately going to get ill from this. I just hope he doesn't have a heart attack omg.

User Image User Image

Yep, they're good once in a while.
      Well, I can understand high protein diets for those who are building up their muscles... but that doesn't really mean cutting back on carbs. I, too, am in a high protein diet because of my falling hair... but I don't stop eating veggies or carbs.
      Well, as long as it's not fatty foods he's eating, I don't see any immediate harm there. But it wouldn't hurt trying to lessen the intake a bit.

User ImageUser Image

It's A Girl Thing!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff