DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:09 am
Awesome sculpts, definitely jealous. What did you use to make casts for it?  
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:15 am
DarkElf27

RTV silicone for the mould and "Fast Cast Polyurethane Liquid Plastic" resin.
The resin has a good strength to it, the bits of flash that come out 1-3mm thick are quite sturdy.

Though when I come to cast the finished thing, I'm going to be adding a filler powder to add strength, lessen weight and make it look a funny grey colour.

If you check ebay for "polycraft" with the things I listed up ^, you'll probably find the things I brought. c:  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:58 am
Messyart
DarkElf27

RTV silicone for the mould and "Fast Cast Polyurethane Liquid Plastic" resin.
The resin has a good strength to it, the bits of flash that come out 1-3mm thick are quite sturdy.

Though when I come to cast the finished thing, I'm going to be adding a filler powder to add strength, lessen weight and make it look a funny grey colour.

If you check ebay for "polycraft" with the things I listed up ^, you'll probably find the things I brought. c:
I've got the fast cast resin, though haven't had a chance to use it yet. I have a different brand of the silicone mold, though, I'm hoping to try them out this weekend.  
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:06 pm
DarkElf27
I've got the fast cast resin, though haven't had a chance to use it yet. I have a different brand of the silicone mold, though, I'm hoping to try them out this weekend.

Do you have lego?
I use a combination of that, plasticine and loads of vaseline to get my molds together.

What're you gonna try it out on? (My first decent molds, using instantmold, were of old Necromunda & cultist guns)

I have this re-meltable PVC material to make molds with, too. I got it bloody YEARS ago, finally got an oven that can melt it safely. I intend on using it to make molds of terrain pieces c:  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:34 am
Messyart
DarkElf27

Do you have lego?
I use a combination of that, plasticine and loads of vaseline to get my molds together.

What're you gonna try it out on? (My first decent molds, using instantmold, were of old Necromunda & cultist guns)

I have this re-meltable PVC material to make molds with, too. I got it bloody YEARS ago, finally got an oven that can melt it safely. I intend on using it to make molds of terrain pieces c:
I'm getting some legos to build the frame with, they're on the way (thank you, Amazon!)

I've used instamold to take the winged-skull design from Cadian helmets and put them on my Tallarn shemagh conversions via greenstuff, with some pretty good success. As for full casts, I've only used instamold and milliput to clone a power fist off a pewter mini to use as parts for plastic IG officer. One of my first projects is probably going to be some of the heads I sculpted for my Tallarn.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:54 am
User Image

Update. c:  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:35 pm
Nice! Been a while. whee What's the pinkish material, just a different type of putty?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:28 pm
DarkElf27
Nice! Been a while. whee What's the pinkish material, just a different type of putty?

I have worked slow lately.. Been much faster the last week!

I'm trying to work out which bit you mean. The beige body is super sculpey, the only pinky bit is the head..
For the head, I cast it in resin to modify the shape "safely". Every photo I then took was super-bright and impossible to see, so I inked the head for the detail to show through. C:

Another few models have come along since...

User Image

User Image

User Image  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points