Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
Looking for Pricing, Critiques, and Coloring Help ♥

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

elvenlogic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:32 pm
Hey guys o uo/

I'm one of those recent refugees from TinierMe looking to carve out a space for myself on Gaia now that Tinier is ending. I'd like to test the waters in the art market. I'm looking for pricing for a few things:

Headshots...
User Image

These chibi-esque looking things...
User Image

And I was wondering if there is a market for pixel sprites on Gaia...
User Image User Image User Image User Image

Maybe if they were animated?
User Image User Image

I could animate the other styles too, but I have no samples yet that aren't either ridiculously old or really sketchy WIPs (I have two of the latter, actually). Maybe I will eventually have better animation samples. Eventually.

Besides pricing, constructive criticism would be very much appreciated. I know I'm not all that fabulous at coloring right now. The top one is like some kind of strange mashup between coloring styles and I'd like to ignore some things about all of them, but I'd also like to get better. I feel like it helps when other people tell me objectively what I can do to improve.

Thanks for stopping by! o uo/  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:09 am
I haven't played TinierMe in forever, but I got the email about it ending a few weeks back.

Anyways, about your art!
I think its nice. Yes, the coloring could use some work. It's not bad. I think its good, and I have a feeling with enough practice you'll be excellent with colors. I say look at our art and try to mimic the color techniques you want to try to achieve.

As far as pricing goes...
Headshots: 30k~
Chibis: 30-50k+
Pixels: 10-20k
Pixel with Animation: 25k+
I think any animation work can be priced over 50k+ animation is a lot of hard work. (I'm an animator. ^^ )  

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200

Restricted Evidence

Profitable Hunter

10,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Bidding War 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:07 am
You could get way more than that for the chibis. Somewhere between 75-100k if not more. If your coloring improves than you could easily get 500k-700k depending on just how much you improve.

As for critiques, the colors look a little flat. (I have that problem too :/ ) It looks like you don't really have a definite light source. I would practice using a lamp and holding it up to a doll or yourself at different angles to see how the light and shadows play on it to get a better idea.

There is a market for pixels, especially ones that look as good as yours. Though I would not really know anything about pricing them. Sorry xp  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:35 pm
Thanks guys C: that was really helpful. I've had a similar thread up in mini shops for a while and the responses haven't been nearly as thorough. I do appreciate it.

I think I might practice more before I open an official shop. (Is a practice shop with temporary low prices a viable idea? Hmm...)

Anyway, thanks again o uod  

elvenlogic

Dapper Dabbler

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 pm
Sure. You can do anything you want to do.  
Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games