I want to cosplay...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tainii

Invisible Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:37 pm
...but I don't have any money to do so since I'm only 16, and my parents don't exactly approve of my fanaticism of anime. I've been watching anime since I was four, and I go to two anime conventions every year, and I even picked up the language through watching it so much (I'm pretty good at Japanese! sweatdrop ), so yes, of course I'd be an enthusiast!

That aside, I want to know if there's a way to convince my parents to buy me a cosplay or two, or if there are any easy DIY cosplays that don't need wigs! I'm a tiny Asian girl, if that helps. ^^;

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 pm
User Image

Well, first of all, try to find a character that has similar hair and eye color. I never had a problem with getting wigs since my mom kinda supports me with cosplay (it gives her something to do). I would then look at outfits that a fairly basic. If you know how to sew, you can modify an outfit to fit a character. Some of the easiest ones are street fashion and school uniforms.

As for buying, just tell your parents that anime makes you socialize. My parents aren't too trilled about me being into anime, but they kinda just accept it now after seeing how I socialize with others because of it. Heck, even the Halloween Costume excuse might work. Just be careful when buying costumes online. The sizes might not be the same as one would expect.

Post style by PhallenPixie

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:12 pm
Cosplay shops online comes down to this:

User Image

You get what you pay for and with the cheapest routes the quality is really lacking. Cosplay is an expensive hobby. My last setup easily cost around $400 between the actual outfit itself, custom made boots, colored contacts, the wig, cosmetics, ect.

I didn't really get into cosplay until I was an adult and out on my own already so no one in my family really had a say in the matter so I don't know what to do for you there. For the cosplay itself, as Rubai said, try going for characters that wear street clothes and try finding something like looks similar and see if you can modify it to make it more accurate. The cheapest way to go about cosplay is to pick up some fabric and start from scratch. Sewing can be a useful skill at times.

Find out if there are any anime clubs in your area. Within your school or local colleges and try and find someone already established as a cosplayer and see if they would be willing to give you tips and/or help you build an outfit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:49 pm
User Image

What Kairanha said is very true. It really is better to make your own. If you are going to buy, be prepared to dish out some serious money. Some accessories you can get lucky with, like I've never paid more than $30 for a wig. But for some custom pieces, be prepared to dish out some serious cash for the well made one.

Personally, I've never bought a costume before unless you count my Halloween costumes when I was younger. My mom makes my outfits for the most part, but I help out. The most a costume we made cost was over $100 because we couldn't wait for sales (the convention was only 3 weeks away). If you can help it, try stretch out buying stuff to make your outfit so you can get them cheaper. I only buy accessories.

Post style by PhallenPixie

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Commander Sigma

Mega Man-Lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:40 pm
If you can't find the exact kind of shoe you are looking for, don't sweat it! Make a boot cover that will match the cosplay you have in mind. It requires some sewing, though:

Tutorial link: http://aatoss.livejournal.com/5571.html

I am probably going to be doing that for my Ruby Spears Proto Man cosplay. The protocol is slightly different than the game version 'cuz his boots are form-fitting rather than ballooning out, which rules out the polyurethane foam some people use for typical Proto Man cosplays.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:16 pm
If you can't spend too much money why don't you try to find a character that you like who dresses pretty normally. I mean, who wears clothes you can find on a normal store of your city or that you can customize a little to make them look like the character ones?  

tsubasanyan

Shy Browser

7,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
14. ✿ - - - Anime And Manga

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items