Dreaming about my ex?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

White Trash Zombie

Popular Raider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:30 pm
A little background: I was in a six year relationship that ended in early March of 2011. We were married, and the marriage was dissolved in October of this year. Three years ago, in November of 2009, he cheated on me with a girl he met online and dumped me for her. There was about a month where we didn't communicate at all, and in that time, I became depressed and suicidal (not just because of what he did, but it was a big contributing factor.) We got back together, made plans to get married, and life went on until I got fed up with his bullshit and left him in 2011. I have never regretted doing this.

Now it's late 2012, and I'm in a much healthier relationship. But last night I had a dream about my ex, Ben and the girl he cheated on me with. In the dream I was still in a relationship with him and very much in love with him. The same s**t happens, except instead of just talking online/over the phone/Skype, they were together physically. In the dream I end up finding them at some sort of restaurant cafe and am heartbroken, and they keep yelling at me (particularly the girl) about how I'm a slut who doesn't deserve someone like him. I go home to the apartment me and Ben share and find her clothes mixed in with mine in the closet.

I woke up this morning really distressed about the dream. The feelings, the missing him, the longing for him, the pain at his betrayal felt so real. But I haven't had these feelings in real life in a very long time. Where is all of this coming from? Is missing an ex long after the relationship's over and you're with someone else normal?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:43 pm
I think it is just your memories that resurface in your dreams...
I also dream about situation like meeting people that I ''cut off link'' because of a problem....

It makes you think back of the past exactly how you felt etc...
So, you think you miss him... but you have to think why your relationship didn't work with your ex and not about the dream made you miss him...

It's like think ''back to reality''.
Just the same way that you would react in a nightmare. Any kind of nightmare, you would feel the fear and wake up telling yourself that it was not true.  

Miss_XxAriaxX

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:27 pm
User Image

I wouldn't put any weight to a dream like that. Dreams are just the brain's way of working through worries and problems in your subconscious without troubling you with it while you're awake. I'm very happy with my husband and wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world, but sometimes I still dream about exes who treated me horribly. In the dream, they'll have changed into these wonderful people and they're begging me to take them back, and the feelings in the dream can sometimes give me a bit of a hangover when I wake up. But they don't mean anything; they're just dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm
not sure if it's true, but apparently, everyone in a person's dream is someone they've seen, even if it's in passing.
personally, i think it's mostly true. i had a dream about a video game character, but the time period and therefore outfit was completely different. and he's normally masked, and he was maskless in the dream.
so if you choose to believe that, then that's why he's popping up~

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

the mage-girl

Magical Marshmallow

22,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Monster Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:25 am
I still dream about my most recent ex-boyfriend, and it's been 10 years.

I always wake up wondering, WTF?

He didn't cheat on me, but he wasn't clear about the break-up, and kind of strung me along for a couple extra years before I finally called him on it.

I think dreams tap into our emotions particularly, even ones we haven't felt for awhile. Maybe it's a sign that you made the right choice in moving on to someone way better for you?

Take care, and keep us updated if you need to. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:48 am
I think he was just a big factor in your life and as you are physically moving on subconsciously you are saying goodbye to all that stress..........  

Neko Hungary

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:29 pm
First of all, sorry to hear about all the rough times you've been through. It definitely takes a strong willed person to get through all of that and you have come far.

I am thrilled to hear that you are in a healthier relationship now and I do hope that it will always keep going strong =)

Dreams I have noticed can have a heavy impact on mood upon waking up. I've had terrible dreams about people splitting up me and a person I loved. I'm not sure I've had a dream involving an event that already happened so I may not be able to be of much help here and I apologize if that is the case.

Dreams can feel real and seem so real that sometimes we wonder, "Was that real?" When a dream like that happens - it shows that it is deep in our mind somewhere and that we'll never forget and sometimes it kinda sticked there for a while, I'd imagine.

I remember a friend of mine telling me once when we were talking about ex's, "You can't just stop loving somebody. Even if you're separated and all, you still think about them to an extent." I agree to that somewhat because when I broke up with a guy or they broke up with me - I felt that hurt for quite a while and in my dreams, I was sometimes back together with them and things were all blissful and they had changed and all of that. Then waking up, they aren't there and don't want to be with you anymore - the hurt just attacks you all at once and sometimes you feel a sense of, "I miss them," because you remember all the good about them and the good times you shared together despite all the bad in between. When we love people, it's easy to eliminate the terrible things they may have done and to look past those. It can take a long time to move on from a relationship - especially if it was long-term, or if the knot was tied with marriage and it ended because marriage is a strong bond and I can't imagine how much separating hurts.

It seems normal to me because you may still be trying to move on and there are probably things that you enjoyed about him and remember what it was like to be with him and then to be without him so suddenly and to have hopes of getting back together and then that falling through is disappointing as well.

After I got married, I occasionally had a dream where an ex would randomly show up somewhere in my dream whether they recognized me or didn't recognize me or did something stupid or mean because they had mistreated me in the past. Things like this show up in dreams and to me, it seems pretty normal because it was people you once had a strong association with.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 pm
I still dream about someone from my past... it's probably just your subconscious doing cleanup or something.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items