Welcome to Gaia! ::

[ B U R N :: the everything guild ]

Back to Guilds

The Everything Guild... For Everyone, Everywhere. Designed with you in mind, to help you make the very most out of your Gaia experience! 

Tags: charity, contests, reality, advice, gold 

Reply - Extended Discussion & Debate -
Online Dating : Pros & Cons?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your thoughts on online dating?
  It's acceptable
  It's unacceptable
  I don't care
View Results

Spicy Camel
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:42 pm
Nowadays online dating is becoming more and more popular. What are your thoughts on online dating?
Have you ever done it and did it work out? If not, why didn't it? How soon do you think you should meet the other person? Are long distance relationships (LDR) possible? And finally, how would you introduce your online dating partner to your friends and family? Would you admit the truth or would you come up with another story?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:46 pm
Well, Spicy. It have pros and cons, if you'd like we could discuss this.  

Dark Biscoito

Beloved Poster

6,000 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Market Browser 100

Spicy Camel
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:50 pm
DarkBiscoito397

Haha, yes sir. I really ought to make my threads more focused.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:51 pm
Spicy Camel
DarkBiscoito397

I'm sorry I sounded silly, but, when I start discussing out of blue people tend to get confused or/and annoyed. sweatdrop  

Dark Biscoito

Beloved Poster

6,000 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Market Browser 100

Spicy Camel
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:53 pm
DarkBiscoito397
Spicy Camel
DarkBiscoito397

I'm sorry I sounded silly, but, when I start discussing out of blue people tend to get confused or/and annoyed. sweatdrop

No, not at all! It was my fault for not clarifying what the thread was about. Let's discuss this! Haha biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:01 pm
Spicy Camel
DarkBiscoito397
Spicy Camel
DarkBiscoito397

No, not at all! It was my fault for not clarifying what the thread was about. Let's discuss this! Haha biggrin

xD

So, as I said, it have prons and cons. I can't speak for others, but I say that it could be either good and bad.

It's nature to humans to develop relationships, and it does not surprise me that when the comunication system grew, the people would become far away from some other people. True, it is good to talk to a Japanese or an American while you are African or, in my case, Brazilian. And, it's true that when we talk to other people far away from us, we develop some type of ability to understand the common sense and culture from the place.

Yet, people tend to cut ties to form another. And, as Einstein said, ( "My ony fear is that the technology will surpass social relations." - Albert Eistein ) it is truly depressive to see how we grew to like talking and relating to total stranger far away rather than total strangers near us.  

Dark Biscoito

Beloved Poster

6,000 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Market Browser 100

Spicy Camel
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:28 pm
DarkBiscoito397
Spicy Camel
DarkBiscoito397
Spicy Camel
DarkBiscoito397

xD

So, as I said, it have prons and cons. I can't speak for others, but I say that it could be either good and bad.

It's nature to humans to develop relationships, and it does not surprise me that when the comunication system grew, the people would become far away from some other people. True, it is good to talk to a Japanese or an American while you are African or, in my case, Brazilian. And, it's true that when we talk to other people far away from us, we develop some type of ability to understand the common sense and culture from the place.

Yet, people tend to cut ties to form another. And, as Einstein said, ( "My ony fear is that the technology will surpass social relations." - Albert Eistein ) it is truly depressive to see how we grew to like talking and relating to total stranger far away rather than total strangers near us.

I agree, it really is great that the internet expands our horizon and allows us to be able to talk to people worldwide, but it's sad that it's much easier to open up to those we do not have to meet face-to-face. But say, you had the option to meet this person who lives far-far away and you know this person well, would you do so?

I think that online dating is a great way to connect people who are too shy to confront others in person, but I've seen these relationships fall because when the two finally meet, they have trouble communicating due to their passive personalities.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:51 pm
Spicy Camel
DarkBiscoito397
Spicy Camel
DarkBiscoito397
Spicy Camel
DarkBiscoito397

xD

I agree, it really is great that the internet expands our horizon and allows us to be able to talk to people worldwide, but it's sad that it's much easier to open up to those we do not have to meet face-to-face. But say, you had the option to meet this person who lives far-far away and you know this person well, would you do so?

I think that online dating is a great way to connect people who are too shy to confront others in person, but I've seen these relationships fall because when the two finally meet, they have trouble communicating due to their passive personalities.

Well, girl that havea sun eating her head, humans are different, but equal at some point. Isn't it much more easier to be dominant to people that can't fight you? Let's use and example...

I am Brazilian, I'm 18, you are American, 19. We date in Gaia and decide to meet in Real Life. Here, I am funny, an attention whore, in real life I am quiet and don't like to call out for attention. The personalities we fell in love with colide and the relationship breaks down. It's not a fate, it may happen that the people work out, it's math, a lot of ways to reach a result.  

Dark Biscoito

Beloved Poster

6,000 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Market Browser 100

Irako of the Desert
Vice Captain

Earnest Paladin

18,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Team Kitten Star 75
  • Hesitant Participant 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:59 am
Online dating is weird to me.

I have a friend who's gay, and hasn't come out yet to his parents. He uses a couple of dating websites to find other gay guys in our area, since we're not a large community and don't have LGBTQ events or spaces for people to meet and get to know each other. He runs into some genuinely nice people, and also runs into some seriously weird people. Most that he starts talking with through online dating websites just want a one-night stand, not a serious relationship.

I also read an article where a guy decided to see how far other guys would go to get a girl to sleep with them through online dating websites. He borrowed a picture of one of his female friends who was really pretty and filled out the profile he planned to use as a really stupid girl that was obsessed with Ice Age and typed like a drunken seal. When guys struck up a conversation with this "girl", the guy using it would respond with really bizarre answers, e.g "How was your Halloween?" "oh i accidentally let my cousin fingr me jus a lil bit lol." or "How are you doing today?" "im not pregnint nemore rofl so happy."

I personally would not want to do online dating. You never really know who the person on the other end of the net is. People can be great actors when all you see is the text on a computer screen. I know that because I roleplay on Gaia all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:04 pm
My parents met in a roleplay forum in one of those old school chat rooms where you would pick your name every time you went in. My dad was pissing off one of my mom's friends and so my mom changed her name to "a tree" and she wrote *falls on johny* (my dads name I don't remember his character's name) and that is where there story started. They have been happily married for almost 10 years.  

BeastEuphoria

Friendly Lunatic

10,700 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Clambake 200

Spicy Camel
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:56 pm
CatastrophicRainbow
My parents met in a roleplay forum in one of those old school chat rooms where you would pick your name every time you went in. My dad was pissing off one of my mom's friends and so my mom changed her name to "a tree" and she wrote *falls on johny* (my dads name I don't remember his character's name) and that is where there story started. They have been happily married for almost 10 years.

Haha, that's a cute story and it's great they're still going strong smile  
- Extended Discussion & Debate -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff