Welcome to Gaia! ::

[ B U R N :: the everything guild ]

Back to Guilds

The Everything Guild... For Everyone, Everywhere. Designed with you in mind, to help you make the very most out of your Gaia experience! 

Tags: charity, contests, reality, advice, gold 

Reply - Extended Discussion & Debate -
Walmart Strike: Your Views

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matasoga
Crew

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:38 am
So you've likely heard of the Wal-Mart strike, now. So far as I can tell it is mostly about low pay and having to open on Thursday night for Black Friday sales.
What are your thoughts on this? Is the strike justified? Do you support Wal-Mart? Are you a customer of Wal-Mart? Discuss.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:36 am
I'm not one to side with corporations over human beings in... Really any circumstances that I've seen in the past. Now I understand that Wal-Mart is a shitty place to work, and I've heard that they deliberately make advancing difficult, and their politics are incredibly backwards, etc. It can certainly be said that I have no love for Wal-Mart, neither as a consumer nor a compassionate human being... But I can't say that I support the workers on this one.
I read that cart pushers at Wal-Mart (which I am guessing is the lowest-paying job, based on the context) start at $8/hour. Anyone that works for a close approximation of minimum wage (starting) has less pay than this. This means that anyone who works at a 24/7/365 establishment (myself included) may just have a much worse schedule, that includes Xmas Day (for those who observe it). So on both of these, the most important (to my thinking) aspects of administrative decisions (namely pay and holiday schedules) I (and countless others) have it worse than Wal-Mart employees, and I have heard of no plans to strike anyplace else.
So yes... It would be great if no one had to do what they (and to a larger extent many of the rest of us) are doing... But I think that's just part of adulthood and living in the real world.  

Matasoga
Crew

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

MusicalDragons

Hilarious Gekko

7,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 am
well usually i dont follow the whole walmart debates but my opinion is thanksgiving is a family holiday and they should at least get the option to be with there family  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:28 am
MusicalDragons
well usually i dont follow the whole walmart debates but my opinion is thanksgiving is a family holiday and they should at least get the option to be with there family

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

MusicalDragons

Hilarious Gekko

7,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:29 am
Kitalpha Hart
MusicalDragons

why did u just quote wat i said?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:39 am
MusicalDragons
Kitalpha Hart
MusicalDragons

cuz that's how i feel, and i have nothing to add.
when someone quotes you and adds nothing in a subject like this, it means that you said their opinion, and they don't have to type it out themselves~  

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

MusicalDragons

Hilarious Gekko

7,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:48 am
Kitalpha Hart
MusicalDragons
Kitalpha Hart
MusicalDragons

when someone quotes you and adds nothing in a subject like this, it means that you said their opinion, and they don't have to type it out themselves~

oo sry i fail kinda newish to gaia  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:56 am
MusicalDragons
Kitalpha Hart
MusicalDragons
Kitalpha Hart
MusicalDragons

oo sry i fail kinda newish to gaia

it's all right  

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

RabidKitten
Crew

Friendly Cat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:09 pm
I am not very up on wal-mart and its politics but if a part of the reason for the strike is having to work on a Holiday I can't really get behind that. I have worked for companies that are 24/7/365 (Geek Squad and 7-11) and we were required to work on any and all Holidays. Now both companies were fairly understanding and would often do a lottery, ask for volunteers or give shortened shifts on those days.

During any orientation for a job I've had, the outlines of the expectations were usually pretty clear and I'm guessing (all assumption here) that it was touched base upon that they would be required to possibly work. I am not a huge fan of people agreeing to something at one point and then refuting it later on. My personal opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:50 pm
I do not support walmart, simply because most local shops in small towns go bankrupt because of their franchise.  

Boulivar

Hunter

9,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200

PSM Guild Mule

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:28 pm
User Image

As a Walmart employee here.
I totally support the strike.

Walmart management is very corrupt, associates are treated terribly.
We don't get benefits because they cut our hours to almost nothing, they short the store on associates so we never have enough people on the floor.
If you have a problem, you cant go to anyone because managers don't care and it's hard to get them to do anything, even when we go to corporate we hardly get anywhere.

Right now my managers are targeting me because I am pregnant and I am the only one in my department.
I work toys.
All the other associates are on leave until further notice, I get twenty hours a week. I do the job of my supervisor and the other regular associate.
I don't get a pay raise, I don't get help when I need it.
My manager doesn't care about toys, shes always in grocery so I am on my own.
I get yelled at cause I cant get my stuff done.
I cant do the job of three people in five hours.
I went to other people about the issue and they pretty much told me to deal with it.
Now that I am expecting I am seen as a burden and since I cant do hevy lifting, move bikes, ect... They are setting me up to be fired.
the other day I was written up for not being productive enough because I cant handle working the department in five hours. Kinda hard when I come in at five in the evening and kids trash it during the day, I have to do outs, stock, bin overstock, order items then go wherever if they throw me to a different department because they refuse to hire more help.

Walmart is a shithole company, they don't care about the workers all they care about is money.
I can go on and on about my store.
Like how the general manager shorted the store five hundred hours so he could get a bigger bonus.
From how a person in the dairy cooler got fired because they worked him to death his schedule was a full nine hour schedule he got off at one in the morning then her had to come back at five in the morning for another nine hour day. They kept doing that and since he was so exhausted he was rushed to the hospital and they fired him because of that.
He cant sue because he doesn't have the money to pay for it.

I can go on and on about how Walmart treats their workers...

User Image

- Extended Discussion & Debate -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff