Welcome to Gaia! ::

[ B U R N :: the everything guild ]

Back to Guilds

The Everything Guild... For Everyone, Everywhere. Designed with you in mind, to help you make the very most out of your Gaia experience! 

Tags: charity, contests, reality, advice, gold 

Reply - Extended Discussion & Debate -
Petitions for Secession in the United States

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Puppet on a String Theory
Crew

Philosophizing Bibliophile

20,250 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:02 pm
Strong Pokemon... Weak Pokemon...
That is only the selfish perception of people...

So, soon after the presidential election was decided, something big began to happen.
As we all know, this year's presidential election was extremely split, and its end results were very close.
A few days after the election was over, Texas put up a petition for seceding from the Union, on Obama's own We The People website. This was overlooked, but within the following week, tens of other petitions were found on the same place. Several have already exceeded the required number of signatures to be considered, while others are still rising.
What do you think of this whole situation, and what do you think will result on either occasion that the states were to secede, or that they were denied in secession???

Truly skilled Trainers should try to win...
With the Pokemon they love best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:12 pm
Haha, you beat me to this one.

In the event of successful secession: The state(s) will be in disarray while military assets are pulled out and the government is reworked. The state will lose any federal funding they received and have to raise taxes in order to fill the gap. Raised taxes will push many people to emigrate "back" to the U.S., reducing the taxpayer base for the state.

Eventually, the state(s) that left will petition for readmission because they will realize that there are more benefits to having the federal government above them than being on their own. In that event, they should pay a fee in order to rejoin. Joining the U.S. for the first time is free, but if you leave and decide later that you want to come back, well then you better give us some incentive! The fee doesn't have to be money. It could be a temporary waiving of certain state rights for a set amount of time that is decided before-hand.

In the event of secession denial: The state(s) that are denied the right to secede will get very upset. The tensions will build up until finally rebellion/riots break out, which will then get put down by the military. The country will descend into another civil war, and eventually, other superpowers will step in and "restore peace", installing their own governments. The United States will disappear into the mists of history.

The best thing the government can do at this point is say: "We acknowledge your petition" and then put off giving them an answer in favor of more "important" issues. They've only got to go through another four years with Obama. If any states secede, they won't be able to participate in the next election.

Irako of the Desert
Vice Captain

Earnest Paladin

18,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Team Kitten Star 75
  • Hesitant Participant 100

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:18 pm
Hey! I’m talking! cat_scream

3 words:
Stupidity in action emotion_eyebrow

Ok, I’m done. Go back to your babble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:46 pm
It's the single most retarded 'decision of the people' I've ever heard since the Civil War.

I feel for your country lol

Kino_Afi

Liberal Seeker

4,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Explorer 100

Chris ex Machina

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:17 pm
Honestly, I see it as stupidity. They will lose most of their funding to support themselves, plus not much disaster aid. Also, I believe I heard that one of the states wanting to succede is trapped in the middle of the US on all sides. That means they would be cut off from a lot of the world. Excluding plane, but they need gas from somewhere.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:17 pm
I don't think the people petitioning to secede really know why they're wanting to secede. They think what they're doing would result favorably for them but people don't realize how much they truly depend on the federal government. They want all this freedom and independence but at the same time, they want that safety net as soon as they need it.  

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

Matasoga
Crew

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:23 am
Irako of the Desert
In the event of secession denial: The state(s) that are denied the right to secede will get very upset. The tensions will build up until finally rebellion/riots break out, which will then get put down by the military. The country will descend into another civil war, and eventually, other superpowers will step in and "restore peace", installing their own governments. The United States will disappear into the mists of history.

I really think that you're overdramatizing things a bit. Even if we were up against the most populous of states, one cannot beat 49. We would not need aid in putting down the rebellion from foreign sources. Besides that, other countries can only install their own government with any hope of success is in cases of coups resulting in their being no real government left, to speak of. Even if we did allow it, this wouldn't result in a takeover, nor the end of the US.
Most importantly, succession was essentially denied by not only Obama but also by Lincoln. It was his decisions (be it by passing a bill or some other means that I cannot presently recall) that made it illegal for a state to secede. War would be the only way, and this simply isn't going to happen.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 pm
Matasoga
Irako of the Desert

I really think that you're overdramatizing things a bit. Even if we were up against the most populous of states, one cannot beat 49. We would not need aid in putting down the rebellion from foreign sources. Besides that, other countries can only install their own government with any hope of success is in cases of coups resulting in their being no real government left, to speak of. Even if we did allow it, this wouldn't result in a takeover, nor the end of the US.
Most importantly, succession was essentially denied by not only Obama but also by Lincoln. It was his decisions (be it by passing a bill or some other means that I cannot presently recall) that made it illegal for a state to secede. War would be the only way, and this simply isn't going to happen.

I might have skipped over a few details.Remember how the Civil War started? A state that wanted to secede took over a military base and declared themselves independent. The president sent troops to put down the rebellion and it escalated from there.

If a state today decides that it's going to secede regardless of whether they have permission or not, they'll have to start by taking control of military bases within. You can't have hostile forces within your lands, after all, not if you want to maintain sovereignty.

Whether or not the seceding state successfully seizes control of the military bases or not, the president will send in more people to put down the rebellion. People begin to perceive that the government is turning into a police state or dictatorship and start freaking out. Scared people make stupid decisions, like starting more rebellions and seceding from the Union. The more the president uses troops to put down the rebels, the more people see imminent dictatorship looming.

Civil war breaks out. Other nations will be worried about the possibility of a bad outcome. Nuclear missiles falling into rebel hands or another eager nation taking advantage of the current United States weakness to invade and seize control. One of them will eventually decide to invade, though whether to restore peace or take control is up for grabs. Once one nation moves, every else will jump, worried again that results will be bad and determined to make sure that things turn out in their favor.

The United States at this point will not be able to organize an effective defense. It falls, all the nations that jumped in will install their own governments, and maps get redrawn according to the new territory claims.

Irako of the Desert
Vice Captain

Earnest Paladin

18,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Team Kitten Star 75
  • Hesitant Participant 100

Matasoga
Crew

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:06 pm
Irako of the Desert
Matasoga
Irako of the Desert

I might have skipped over a few details.Remember how the Civil War started? A state that wanted to secede took over a military base and declared themselves independent. The president sent troops to put down the rebellion and it escalated from there.

If a state today decides that it's going to secede regardless of whether they have permission or not, they'll have to start by taking control of military bases within. You can't have hostile forces within your lands, after all, not if you want to maintain sovereignty.

Whether or not the seceding state successfully seizes control of the military bases or not, the president will send in more people to put down the rebellion. People begin to perceive that the government is turning into a police state or dictatorship and start freaking out. Scared people make stupid decisions, like starting more rebellions and seceding from the Union. The more the president uses troops to put down the rebels, the more people see imminent dictatorship looming.

Civil war breaks out. Other nations will be worried about the possibility of a bad outcome. Nuclear missiles falling into rebel hands or another eager nation taking advantage of the current United States weakness to invade and seize control. One of them will eventually decide to invade, though whether to restore peace or take control is up for grabs. Once one nation moves, every else will jump, worried again that results will be bad and determined to make sure that things turn out in their favor.

The United States at this point will not be able to organize an effective defense. It falls, all the nations that jumped in will install their own governments, and maps get redrawn according to the new territory claims.

There are far, far more measures in place to prevent things like that from happening than there were in the times of the American Civil War. I'm not saying that it's technically impossible but it's so far beyond unlikely that it's hardly worth giving any real consideration to.  
- Extended Discussion & Debate -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games