Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Digital Art
Digital painting issue I've had for awhile

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KaIez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:22 am
Hello fellow artist !!
So I've had this really annoying issue that involves digital painting (on photoshop) and blur. Whenever i attempt to mix colors, or pretty much paint in general, my pieces always come out blurry.

Here's one of my older pieces to show an example
http://kaiez.deviantart.com/#/d578res

I've progressed a bit over time with this piece
http://kaiez.deviantart.com/#/d5h23p1

What would be some tips to kind eliminate the blurriness of my pieces?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:43 pm
Instead of using blur, use the smudge tool (if you have that? I'm used to using gimp). But Smudge tool is great for blending. :3  

T Y M A H

Rosilien

Divine Nymph

18,800 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 pm
There is a function called Feather under the Selection menu. Lasso the spot you want to make softer, feather it by 10-50 pixels depending on its size, then use the Gaussian Blur filter.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:56 am
I never really use any of the fancy tools in photoshop...either I'm too lazy or stubborn I don't know. To blend my colors I paint with opacities to try and blend as close as I can like a traditional painting.  

suri bee

Devoted Mage

thatgeek

Newbie Consumer

4,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:41 pm
ELIMINATE blurriness by:

heart Crank up the opacity of the brush you use. If you use it on low opacity, you have to go over the same area to make it darker, thus making that area blurry as well.

heart Adjust the hardness of your brush. If you're using PS, your best bet is to switch to a brush with harder edges (a big sized pencil tool vs airbrush), just because I never us PS and I don't know how to change the hardness of a particular brush. I know you can, but it is a different process depending on the version...

heart Use a subtraction method. If you really want sharper edges, go at the edges from both sides... This is a mega hassle for a bigger picture, and is really only if, for whatever reason, you can't do the first two. By this option, I mean you draw and fill in a blue circle on a white background. The blue circle is fuzzy around the edges, so you use white to go around the edges and, hopefully, make it sharper. It might not work all that great but it's worth a shot...

Some other tips are you can draw in a less-sketchy manner. If you draw by going over a line a few times or an edge a few times, that will make it blurry. Use less strokes to make a line and it'll be sharper.

You can decrease the size of your brush. It'll make the edges of the brush sharper. Technically.

Personally, I'd suggest moving to a less-complicated program if you don't use the fanciness of PS. PS is good for after effects, not so much for straight drawing, unless you're really familiar with the tools. I use Paint Tool SAI, it's really easy to use, really friendly interface and much, muuuuch less steep learning curve.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:17 pm
thatgeek
ELIMINATE blurriness by:

heart Crank up the opacity of the brush you use. If you use it on low opacity, you have to go over the same area to make it darker, thus making that area blurry as well.

heart Adjust the hardness of your brush. If you're using PS, your best bet is to switch to a brush with harder edges (a big sized pencil tool vs airbrush), just because I never us PS and I don't know how to change the hardness of a particular brush. I know you can, but it is a different process depending on the version...

heart Use a subtraction method. If you really want sharper edges, go at the edges from both sides... This is a mega hassle for a bigger picture, and is really only if, for whatever reason, you can't do the first two. By this option, I mean you draw and fill in a blue circle on a white background. The blue circle is fuzzy around the edges, so you use white to go around the edges and, hopefully, make it sharper. It might not work all that great but it's worth a shot...

Some other tips are you can draw in a less-sketchy manner. If you draw by going over a line a few times or an edge a few times, that will make it blurry. Use less strokes to make a line and it'll be sharper.

You can decrease the size of your brush. It'll make the edges of the brush sharper. Technically.

Personally, I'd suggest moving to a less-complicated program if you don't use the fanciness of PS. PS is good for after effects, not so much for straight drawing, unless you're really familiar with the tools. I use Paint Tool SAI, it's really easy to use, really friendly interface and much, muuuuch less steep learning curve.

I'm kinda a new artist. But i know how to draw and ink. I'm not tht good yet, but I am getting into painting. How much is it to start with Photoshop, or any other art program I could start out with? All I use now is Paint on my computer. I'll show you a picture. If it doesnt show, you can try to email me: megWrunner@yahoo.com  

RyumeiX1

Loyal Explorer

14,025 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

thatgeek

Newbie Consumer

4,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am
RyuujiXMeg1
thatgeek
ELIMINATE blurriness by:

I'm kinda a new artist. But i know how to draw and ink. I'm not tht good yet, but I am getting into painting. How much is it to start with Photoshop, or any other art program I could start out with? All I use now is Paint on my computer. I'll show you a picture. If it doesnt show, you can try to email me: megWrunner@yahoo.com

I don't see a picture.

If you're relatively new, I'd say don't get photoshop. If you don't know your way too much around art programs, don't get photoshop. Photoshop can be so complex and hard to understand that it's considered a skill to put on your resume if you do know how to use it. It's a pain in the butt for anyone new to digital art programs, and can slow a new user down with all the fancy filters and tools.

Personally, I use Paint Tool SAI. It's by Systemax, and you can easily look it up on Google. It's lightweight and easy to understand; it doesn't have all those crazy tools and extra things. A lot of people use it these days, and it's only about $50, compared to photoshop, which can run for well over $100.

If you know your way around Microsoft Paint, you'll find the transition to SAI muuuuch easier than photoshop. The tools are all straightforward and you can probably find some easy tutorials online, too.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 pm
Ok thankyou, for your advice! I will try out the SAI, and try my best. ThankYou very much. 3nodding  

RyumeiX1

Loyal Explorer

14,025 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

G.L.U.E.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 am
turn up the opacity and flow. use a hard brush when refining your painting (press f5 to bring up brush options press brush tip shape and change the spacing to 1) and use a softer brush for blending. When selecting an area via marquee tool, lasso tool w/e turn off anti-aliasing. (Anti-Alias is evil it adds a feather to your selecting so when you try to fill things in with a different colour or erase a selected shape, it leaves a coloured line around the selection). if you plan on cell shading something use the pencil tool.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:59 am
If you are ever going to use Photoshop again, learn to use the sharpen tool but do NOT abuse it. If you have a strong enough computer, use spacing at 1% or around 10% if it lags per stroke. I don't use airbrush until blending but even then I only use about 50% hardness. Too much airbrush will turn it really blurry and plastic like.

On my phone currently. Cannot type much. >_<  

hyceate

Vanquished Star

Digital Art

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas