I'm Worried

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

anticupid16

Desirable Elocutionist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:48 am
So I have a friend. His name is Kevin. This is nothing romantic.

He's a really good friend of mine, and we've been friends for about three years this summer. This has always been a long distance friendship, because by the time I met him, I was living in Hawaii and I met him visiting friends in Alabama. Since meeting, we've become close and we have a lot of things in common. He's an extremely smart guy, over a 4.0 on a yearly basis, took five AP classes and got 4's on all the exams, and he could have his choice of colleges.
And I'm worried he's throwing this all away. He met a girl in early March or April. He does not have a good track record, having never officially had a girlfriend due to his eagerness to please. So this girl showed interest, and they dated for a little bit. Then, seemingly out of the blue, she told him that she only liked him as a friend. But she continued to stick around him, take advantage of his money, and use him for his car.
He had asked her to prom, and she had declined due to another party, which got canceled. So she agreed to go to prom as friends. He drives her there, and then she spent the night hiding from him, before asking for a ride to an after party he was not invited to. She wanted him to drop her off.
He stopped hanging around her because of this night. And since, he has also gotten rather upsetting. I've recently found out he's been trying drugs (Ectasy is the only one he's named) and drinking a lot. He hasn't gotten home all summer until at least three or four in the morning.
I don't know his parents, and being a long distance friend I don't know how to get in touch with anyone who can talk to them. The only friends we have in common no longer talk to him, and really it's just me and him. I've told him before not to do drugs, but there's only so much I can say. He still talks about getting good grades and going to good colleges, but then he goes back and talks about the girl from prom.
He texted me tonight saying that he was feeling bad, due to mixed feelings and drugs. I'm just worried and I have no idea to help him. I mean, I'm 6,000 miles away...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:53 pm
I'm not sure what to recommend besides talk to him and be honest. You're good friends, and the fact he came to you about his emotions is a big deal. This girl is for sure bad news from what you've said. Maybe remind him of who he really is, before she "corrupted" him, before the drugs and such- how smart he is, how much potential he has. He likely has been told this before, but coming from you it might mean more.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

Mistress of The Fae

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Generous 100

Rose Han

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:43 am
Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do because of the long distance. All you can really do is stay a good friend for him give him advice and be his cheerleader. Remind him how smart he is and how successful he will be in the future as long as he keeps his grades up. It will take him time to get over the girl at prom. I might also mention to him that the drugs will affect his grades.  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games