Submit

Kit Kat Purrpurr

Dangerous Ladykiller

10,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:40 pm
My boyfriend has been depressed for three years now. He has attempted suicide many many times....the latest being last night. It all began because of someone he lost years ago...who died. And now recently someone just left his life who was also very important to him (but they didn't die). I can't physically be with him because we met online and live in different states, but I don't know what to do anymore.....I want to be there for him.....

In fact, I was on the phone with him last night. Well, Skype. He never said anything about it to me. Around the time he tried to off himself, I was still texting him. He gave me no indication he was going to kill himself.

This is more of a rant of sorts...but I needed to post it somewhere....I just don't know what to do..........

.::Ailuros::.
.::Click on the symbol to learn more::.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:27 pm
I wish I knew how to help. Just be there and listen to him. Show him how much you care. I suffer from depression and have for several years, so I know how much it hurts/ The few people who kept in touch with me even when I was out of school for...reasons...and checked up on me made a big difference. It made me feel like someone cared enough to take a step back from their life and care about someone else.

Mistress of The Fae

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Generous 100

Kit Kat Purrpurr

Dangerous Ladykiller

10,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:26 pm
Mistress of The Fae
I wish I knew how to help. Just be there and listen to him. Show him how much you care. I suffer from depression and have for several years, so I know how much it hurts/ The few people who kept in touch with me even when I was out of school for...reasons...and checked up on me made a big difference. It made me feel like someone cared enough to take a step back from their life and care about someone else.

Yeah....he's tried professional help, anti-depressant medication, and talking it out with people.

But nothing has helped. It's pretty much all on him...which is hard for me, because I want to help him...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:29 am
Kit Kat Purrpurr
Mistress of The Fae

Yeah....he's tried professional help, anti-depressant medication, and talking it out with people.

But nothing has helped. It's pretty much all on him...which is hard for me, because I want to help him...

I wish I had more advice to give. Yeah, I tried professional help and anti-depressants also. I wish I could say they made it all better. When it's an internal thing, it's the most difficult. I'm so sorry it hurts you so much. I'm on the other end, and I see how much pain it causes my closest friend when she sees me like this. Still, just being there for him and checking in on him is the best thing I can suggest. I hope everything works out for the better.  

Mistress of The Fae

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Generous 100

Kit Kat Purrpurr

Dangerous Ladykiller

10,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:29 am
Mistress of The Fae
Kit Kat Purrpurr
Mistress of The Fae

I wish I had more advice to give. Yeah, I tried professional help and anti-depressants also. I wish I could say they made it all better. When it's an internal thing, it's the most difficult. I'm so sorry it hurts you so much. I'm on the other end, and I see how much pain it causes my closest friend when she sees me like this. Still, just being there for him and checking in on him is the best thing I can suggest. I hope everything works out for the better.

Thanks. emotion_hug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:48 am
Be there for him as much as you can, but don't run yourself into the ground. You can't help anyone if you burn out.

You said he's tried therapy and meds, etc. but nothing has worked out. Maybe he needs a different therapist? Different meds?

I told my NP recently that I still thought about hurting myself and she put me on an antipsychotic. It helps, and it also helps me sleep a little better, too.

Three years is a long time to suffer like your boyfriend has. You can give him understanding and sympathy, but he may need professional help. The right combo of medicine and therapy is out there for him. You may have to encourage him that yes, he is worth it, and he deserves to feel better. smile

Take care and keep us posted.  

the mage-girl

Magical Marshmallow

22,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Monster Hunter 100

TH3_G1ITCH_

Enduring Receiver

13,300 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 am
                User Image
                TheAristocratSays:
                You said he's already seeked professional help, but how many times has this happened?

The only reason I ask is because it took me over 6 referrals to finally find a good therapist. They really do help, too.

Also, how many different anti-depressants has he had?
                Again, I ask this because I've been depressed/anxious for years and I'm still trying to find the right medication.

It can really be strenuous, especially when you've lost people who are close to you, but these could still be options.

How are YOU feeling, too? This must be awful for you too so don't be afraid to "rant" here whenever you need to.

EDIT: I just read MageGirl's post and I completely agree with her~!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:32 pm
Aristocrat In Pink
                User Image
                TheAristocratSays:
                You said he's already seeked professional help, but how many times has this happened?

The only reason I ask is because it took me over 6 referrals to finally find a good therapist. They really do help, too.

Also, how many different anti-depressants has he had?
                Again, I ask this because I've been depressed/anxious for years and I'm still trying to find the right medication.

It can really be strenuous, especially when you've lost people who are close to you, but these could still be options.

How are YOU feeling, too? This must be awful for you too so don't be afraid to "rant" here whenever you need to.

EDIT: I just read MageGirl's post and I completely agree with her~!

I feel awful that I can't physically be with him. I wonder if me actually being there with him would make the difference. Even just being able to hold his hand....would that be something that really helps him....

This was back on the 10th. I had no idea until a friend mentioned it, since it didn't show up in the friend feed.

^yes, that is my boyfriend.

Kit Kat Purrpurr

Dangerous Ladykiller

10,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Mistress of The Fae

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:55 am
Kit Kat Purrpurr
Mistress of The Fae
Kit Kat Purrpurr
Mistress of The Fae

Thanks. emotion_hug

My pleasure.  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out